Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Film Center to move to Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Film Center to move to Eastern Market

By Marti Benedetti

6:00 am, March 25, 2007

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0325/SUB/703230313/-1/toc

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems to be the new trend for Eastern market to become the melting pot for everything very soon now that its privately managed. Even though im disappointed their leaving washington blvd,The new location will be more aligned with creating a continual flow of civic activity for eastern market

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Andersen is working on obtaining a construction loan"

"The building was bought on a land contract"

"According to guidestar.org, the Detroit Film Center, using its previous moniker Detroit Filmmakers Coalition Inc., had revenue of $108,967 and expenses totaling $117,337 in 2004, the last year posted on the Web site."

Sounds a little bit shaky to me

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8775
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, no, just your standard non-profit accounting, I'd bet.

I was there this past Saturday for the Low Budget Music Video competition, stumbled upon it after asking my next-door neighbor why he was burning the midnight oil a few nights in a row this week...turned out he was assembling a single DVD to play all of the submitted entries.

What a blast to see thirty music videos in a row, MOSTLY centered on Detroit. It was like old-school MTV that I didn't have to rush and change the channel!

I wish I'd saved my ballot, so I could relate the various artists and their work, and I cannot even remember who won (names run through my brain-seive until I actually write them down and they become a visual memory).

They have their annual membership drive THIS Saturday from 2-4, so if anyone wants to drop in on their open-house, you can find out more of what makes this group tick.

EVERY single screening AND person I've seen there has been off-the-charts real, fun, cool AND dedicated to their art. (h-m-m-n-n, all the things I'm not?!)

They are a non-profit worthy of support, because at the very least they are providing a service to our next generation of film and video students.

I am very excited for their move into MY neighborhood. Talked with our very own Maxpraxis about the potential, but only learned of the exact location through their fearless leader Saturday night.

Come on out Saturday and help them with their growth...I'm going to get a few investors and pry the PR people I know at some key manufacturers to help them acquire High Definition capture and production equipment...so the nearby colleges can have this resource, and NOT have to try to fit it into their tight budgets.

Growing Detroit's Creative Community...we need your help.

Cheer!

Maxpraxis
Username: Maxpraxis

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the kind words about DFC Gannon.
I'm very excited for the move to the EM area. Our space on Washington is great, but we will have a bigger space that we are designing to fit our needs and the location offers much more exposure.
Like John said, if anyone is interested in what we are about, or you are familiar and want to get involved or to let us know what you think we need to be doing to better serve the local arts community, come on down this Saturday from 2 to 4.
We will be having an encore program of the top voted music videos.
more info:
http://www.detroitfilm.org
http://www.myspace.com/detroit film

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Maxpraxis

Good luck with the new space.

-AW

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.