Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Niki's Pizza - slice of cheese « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brushparkbub
Username: Brushparkbub

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy Niki's and eat there regularly. The other week, however, I had one of the strangest pizza experiences of my life.
I walked in around 1pm on Friday after wasting time walking around downtown. The young lady at the cash register greeted me and asked if she could get me anything. I asked for "a slice of cheese, to go, please." She gave me a very confused look. I repeated my request. "We don't sell slices of cheese" she responded. We both wore confused expressions at this point. She broke the moment of silence with a realization "Oh, you want a slice of pizza?" "Yes, a slice of cheese pizza." She instructed me that if I wanted a slice of pizza I had to ask for a slice of pizza. She was under the impression that I wanted to order a "slice of cheese." Yes, simply a slice of cheese, mozzarella i assume.
I revised my order "Can i have a slice of cheese pizza to go, please." She looked like she understood. "Yes, But it has pepperoni on it" she replied. I paid my few dollars and left with a very enjoyable, but very confusing, slice of pepperoni pizza.

Beach
Username: Beach

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how you guys roll out on the West Coast, but here in the D we call pizza "pizza." No really, that's ridiculous. How do you work in a place known for its pizza and not know pizza slang?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 on one, mustard, fries

Thats all you need to say in 10% of the restaurants in Detroit and you will get exactly what you want. Of course you will have to explain if you want coke or pepsi.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lady waiting on you must have be an English Major working her way thru school.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange. That would have been really awkward for me because if it was friday (Lent) and I asked for cheese pizza, I would need cheese and not cheese/pepperoni. It would have added another strange dimension to that story.

Niki's is great, though.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3916
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip....

No Coke... Pepsi!

No Fries... Chips!

No 2 on one... "Cheeburger"!

:-)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved that SNL skit.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at Nikki's if you want a slice to go it has to be cheese and pepperoni. The bad thing is they put the pepperoni under the cheese so you can't really pick them off. Either way it's called pizza regardless of the topping

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepperoni pizza on a friday?, IN LENT?!

I'm gunna tell the monsienier!

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or even the Monsignor!

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or even Manrooter.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was probably Livernoisyard....

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"at Nikki's if you want a slice to go it has to be cheese and pepperoni. The bad thing is they put the pepperoni under the cheese so you can't really pick them off. Either way it's called pizza regardless of the topping"

Cottage Inn does the same thing, and they both are tastier than your typical pizza. I actually think it's a unique move in American Pizza. I don't mind the pepperoni under there too much, All I care is about how the sauce taste and how the crust taste.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried Nikki's for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The hostess was rude and acted like she was doing us a favor by letting us eat there. The pizza was mediocre. Never going back.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepperoni under the cheese is hardly unique.
("Kids these days--what do they know?!?!?")

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washman, you had one bad experience. Try it again and if you have another bad experience don't go back. Don't be so quick to judge a place on one experience. I have been there numerous times and have never had a bad experience.

Brushparkbub, I would have looked at you funny too if you just said, "I want a slice of cheese." Since flaming cheese is a tradition at Greek restaurants, the young lady might have thought you were referring to that. A slice of pizza or a slice of cheese pizza is pretty straight forward.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She might have been flirting with you-

In her own cheesy way?

I usually ask for a large cheese when ordering pizza, I don't always specify pizza, and I have yet to be handed a block of cheese.

Maybe that’s why she's working at a pizza joint (albeit an upscale one) in the first place? Who am I to judge?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pepperoni under the cheese is hardly unique.
("Kids these days--what do they know?!?!?")"

In America, it is for a Pizza Chain (stanky LC hasn't change anything on their pizza for the 15 years they were in business) and pepperoni on top of the pizza doesn't bring enough "wow" to it, as everyone does it, too boring.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize--in the late 1970s, we old-timers were putting the pepperoni under any double-cheese order at the Little Caesar's where I earned my nickel-an-hour, and we didn't originate the idea.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.