Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Nathaniel Abraham at Wayne State « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just curious, would you want your son or daughter to have to go to class with Nathaniel if he goes to Wayne State?

Do you think students have a right to know they are in class with a convicted murderer?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting...not sure...would have to give this some thought...

is there a chance he might be going to WSU? I know he was released from juvie in January...haven't head anything else

(Message edited by thejesus on March 26, 2007)

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3710
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you proposing something like a scarlet letter for him to wear the rest of his life?

I'm all for that! Shun the person who makes mistakes when they are 11!

Destroy the rest of his life!

Place so many distractions around him so he is guaranteed to not finish school!

Hound him like an animal until he commits another crime [or error] and then lock him up again! At our tax payer expense....

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can he live and work in Bay City and go to school at WSU?
Btw, Who is paying for this?

Psip

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mistake = Murder?

Psip

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Cass Corridor the best environment for a young 18 year old, who has had 7 of those years in confinement?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Cass Corridor the best environment for a young 18 year old, who has had 7 of those years in confinement?

"If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere..."

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 756
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A history of murderous behavior is a little different than a history of promiscuous behavior - at least in severity of effect on society. You are using an absurd reference.

What do you propose should be done with the 14 year old who murdered that little boy in SW Detroit recently? When he gets out of jail, we should just all avoid worrying about his (maybe) murderous, violent propensities? We should let him make a new start, even though, while in jail he probably kept his gang contacts and leadership (that is what most often what happens, altho we on the outside are dreamers and optimists without real-life knowledge of the penal system)? We should just bury our heads in the sand? I'm willing to suspend belief and do that - but, I don't have kids at WSU.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is the Cass Corridor the best environment for a young 18 year old, who has had 7 of those years in confinement?"

He's 21.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a silly question to ask, btw.

Psip

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet, he is 21, now he can legally drink. That makes it even better.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

College is about meeting people, and having experiences outside of what you would normally have. Telling other students would be a breach his right to privacy. My parents live in Bay City and they said it was on the news that he is going to Wayne net year.

Thejesus

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois:

Do you think that allowing residents to know if a sex offender is living in their neighborhood is also too much of an invasion of the sex offender's privacy?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you guys (especially the media) get a life and leave this boy alone?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8783
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, for those who have changed their behavior and gotten past those temptations.

Absolutely, the sex offender listing is one more way the government has allowed fear and loathing to eliminate personal privacy.

Repeat offenders are one thing, but ONE timers who get on it have yet another hurdle to bettering their lives and behaviors.

I'm strongly with Skulker and the other PROs on this one...I will gladly not only cross paths with Nathaniel, I will tell him I know who he is and encourage him to avoid people (like PSIP, I'm disappointed to hear your take on this) who seek to keep him in the hole for a crime he did time for already.

What is our criminal justice system for? Why the public opinion momentum to killing rehabilitation?

THAT murder is worse than the one HE committed!

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the problem with michigan, we can't get out of our own way. We will never be able to incarcerate ourselves to safety. It's time to deal with the root causes and stop all of these quick fixes. People who know next to nothing about what goes on in these young persons lives are the first one's to jump on the jail-em all bandwagon.
Worried about what someone is going to do to them, while they hide their future serial killer behind shrinks and lawyers who get their records sealed.
It is time to invest in life, not jail's. We shouldn't hold a childs parents against them, we should help them succeed in-spite of them. A bad parent is a bad parent,and they come from all backgrounds. With the kind of money we spend out of fear, we could educate and equip a whole generation of kids with the tools they need to break this cycle.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And just think, everyone though Steven Grant was such a nice guy!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4272
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well U of M determined that it would not be safe to allow Dan Granger to attend that institution after serving time for his special crime so there is a precedent. Of course had Granger been able to play tight end like Eric Knott he could have gone to Michigan State.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to reports, Abraham met with Bill Cosby and with the folks at Hartford Memorial Baptist, a church with massive community outreach programs and resources to try and keep this kid on the straight and narrow. Shouldn't we try and see if he is rehabilitated before we condemn him? I hope he does well, I hope he does well in school.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think that allowing residents to know if a sex offender is living in their neighborhood is also too much of an invasion of the sex offender's privacy?

Yes I do. That list is a joke, people are on it for being 18 and having sex with their 16 year old girlfriend. It muddles what is serious and what is not. You are on there for life. People change. The list is a violation of the constitution.

This kid as enough stuff to go though he doens't need anything else to point out that he did something wrong, and that he messed up. He needs a welcoming community so he becomes a productive member and doesn't go back to jail.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3910
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, excellent point about Dan Granger... now if Nathanial can just tone down his attire at school...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4180
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't bother me if he was in my class. His private life isn't any of my busi
ness.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4181
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't bother me if he was in my class. His private life isn't any of my business.

Thejesus

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois:

Do you favor abolishing the list altogether or do you favor changing it so it distinguishes between people who molest 2-year-olds and people who engage in consensual sex with 15-year-olds

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3912
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Thejesus... thinking of underage Romeo & Juliet... Romeo would be on that list, would he not? Is that really what the intent of the law should be? I don't think so.

Gannon

Post Number: 8789
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a person has a pattern of behavior and is unflinching in their desire and/or ability to change, then I have no trouble with them being added to some public list.

Many of them recognize their problems, and wish to NOT have the situation presented to them, even. There have been a few parolees who asked to stay in prison because they KNEW they'd do wrong again.

There is a gulf between patterned behavior and someone who makes a wrong choice and succumbs to temptation.

I also have NO trouble with a list of all who've been convicted of a sexual offense, or something as seemingly benign as animal harassment, being put on a list for police use in investigating crimes...since there is precedent that early behavior unchecked leads to further bad choices, but to make the FULL list public is abhorrent to me.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should be hounded forever based on that fucking get-up he wore when he was sprung.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Skulker. (Am I under alien control?)

The kid did the crime and he did the time. Let him be.

[That applies to that idiot Gorcyka; I'm from Oakland County, but that guy is a lousy prosecutor and has done nothing to help the kid by his ridiculous comments.]

Thejesus

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what comments were those?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8656
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was on the radio and made a comment that there was an office pool on when he would commit another crime.

I believe that he made a few comments in addition to that but the office pool is the most sickening.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070324/O PINION01/703240323/1008

quote:

Editorial Quick Hits: Ours
Gorcyca must shut up about Abraham
The Detroit News

Oakland County Prosecutor Dave Gorcyca is right to be sorry after making a wisecrack on a local radio show about how "There's a joke in the office about the over/under before (Nathaniel Abraham) reoffends."

(Message edited by tiorted on March 26, 2007)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares? Even if he goes to Wayne State, I doubt he'll last the semester before he drops out. He took college courses when he was in the juvie facility, he either failed them or withdrew from the classes after one term. Whatever this kid's talents and interests may be, school is NOT one of them.

Jt1

Post Number: 8657
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how everyone knows the desires and abilities of a 21 year old kid because they read a few news articles.

I hope he succeeds and wish him well.

Tiorted

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know if Nat has actually been admitted to Wayne?

there is a difference between wanting to attend a University and being allowed to

Wayne's UG admissions standards aren't the highest but some people do get declined

I'm thinking WC3 or OCC might be a better place for him to start off

Lvnthed

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the so-called adults failed this kid, and we have more adults who continue to fail him. Like the person who let him walk out of that place with Pimp suit on. That was a crime in itself. The instant I saw him paraded out in public looking like that, I couldn't help but think; Damn, we don't need another Willie Horton moment. I told my girlfriend, that image just set us back 5 yrs.

Big_daddy
Username: Big_daddy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are some of you people crying for this SOB. My daughter is supposed to be going to WSU in the fall and I am now reconsidering sending her to MSU or U of M instead. I wish WSU standards are higher that just admitting someone with a Fricking GED that was earned while in prison for MURDERING a person. Hello - bleeding hearts. He MURDERED someone. That person can't go to college now. DEAD,KILLED-PINE BOX 6 FEET UNDER-HE AINT COMIN BACK

Jt1

Post Number: 8660
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My daughter is supposed to be going to WSU in the fall and I am now reconsidering sending her to MSU or U of M instead.

I see that you are thinking very rationally about this. I rarely believe in second chance for murderers but the kid was 11. That is 5th grade. I think this is very different than someone in their 20s/30s murdering someone.

PS - People with GEDs have gone on to both UM and MSU. They have taken the CC then transfer route but it has happended.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An 11 year old was playing with a gun that an irresponsible adult had left laying around. There was no proveable intent and no motive other than a KID, a mere child who was not fully aware of the consequences of his actions wanting to please adults and others around him by carelessly discharging a gun.

Hardly a murderer.

War Jelks post about Dan Granger being admitted to UM.

Where is the outrage of a 17 year old raping a 14 year old but still admitted to UM? Where? I don't recall a thread here about it. Dan is a far far bigger threat to society than Nathaniel based on intent and lack of remorse.

Big Daddy, if you weren't upset about Granger but are upset about Abraham, I will call you out right now as being a flat out racist. No if, ands or buts. Don't try ot equivocate. Put yer robe and hood and be who you are. Nathanial likely won't rape your daughter based on his prior crimes, but Dan Granger shows every evidence of of repeating his crime, but yet you would send your daughter to UM.

Real fucking nice.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If his attendence or pending attendence at Wayne was really reported (which NOBODY has been able to provide evidence for) they may very easily have meant WC3.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what did Willie Horton do?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well U of M determined that it would not be safe to allow Dan Granger to attend that institution after serving time for his special crime so there is a precedent."

Those are two very different schools that have little to do with each other besides being located in the same state. The courts didn't reject his admission to the school. So how exactly was the precedent set?

If U-M, AA and U-M,Db have little to do with each others admissions then U-M,AA and WSU surely don't have anything to do with each other.

Lvnthed

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lil_daddy,

So, If he used a slingshot with the same result, would you feel the same way?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever heard of Dukakis?

I'll give you a clue, it has nothing to do with Home Runs.

Jt1

Post Number: 8661
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Big Daddy, if you weren't upset about Granger but are upset about Abraham, I will call you out right now as being a flat out racist. No if, ands or buts. Don't try ot equivocate. Put yer robe and hood and be who you are.

Seems like a stretch to me. I agree that if Nathaniel were white many more people would be pulling for him and hoping that he does well but I don't equate the Granger is white, Nathaniel is black thing as clear as you do.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4274
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Granger had his acceptance to UofM revoked before he was even tried. Personally I think Dan Granger is a first-rate sleaze ball but at the same time he was punished because a couple of girls were caught doing something they weren't proud of. Not saying Granger wasn't in the wrong. Not saying his actions didn't merit the attention of authorities. Just saying there is a difference between a sleaze and a predator.

Thejesus

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gorcyka comments were very distasteful for a public official...an elected public official I might add...

The GED comment was pretty ignorant...as JT1 said, many people with sub par high school credentials straighten their life up and go onto to college and do something productive...I'm one of them...

btw, anyone have a link to a photo of the kid in his pimp suit?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A benefit of a "scarlet letter" is the example that it offers to potential offenders. Nate killed a man, and the rapists cited above did their thing, either forcefully or coercively (by law a "kid" cannot consent to sex any more than they are trusted to enter into a contract or join the Marines. They are CHILDREN.). Do we want more criminals? No, and so it's not a bad example to have if parents can point to a "Nate" or rapist and say: Junior, break the law and you will forever be marked, just like "Nate." I'm describing the "scared straight" philosophy, which sure as hell worked with me.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, I think that you would KNOW that he was going to be there. Second, I don 't think that he is going to bring a gun to class. Third, I would like to meet him to see where he is coming from. Fourth, if he is bright enough to be accepted to Wayne State all the more power to him. Fifth, give him a break!!

Gannon

Post Number: 8794
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dredging for a reason for our newbie's outrage, I'm sure.

Protecting your daughter is nice, but I'd rather see her in a school with WAY fewer frat-boy types that have that magical stay-out-jail card, daddy's deep pockets.

I've met WAY more social deviants at UofM than at Wayne State...they just get a pass due to family wealth.

I think that might've been the backstory on that East Coast prosecutor's over-reach in the Duke case...he probably saw it as a chance to make good on his perception of the same.

He was as incorrect with HIS bias as I am with mine, as Big_daddy seems to be with HIS...as Skulker might be as well.

It could be a big club, who's going to be our president? I'll be treasurer...

Thejesus

Post Number: 784
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal:

This article confirms that he plans to take classes at Wayne State...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/U PDATE/703220440

Lvnthed

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

Willie Horton was a convicted criminal released on a weekend furlough program. While out he raped a woman and beat her fiance. But the point was, Bush 41 Used that incident to scare voters away from Dukakis in the 88 election because Dukakis was a supporter of the program.

Wether it was intentional or not, his release appears to have had that very effect on some people.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For others that are just as confused as I was, this is not Baseball Willie Horton.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure! He did his time. Until the laws change and there are mandatory life sentences for 11 yo offenders, it will be what it is.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker what you describe regarding the incident involving Nathaniel Abraham can only be called ridiculous. He aimed the goddamned gun and shot the guy in the head................you should be ashamed to post shit like that.

If he stays out of trouble he should be allowed to go to school or work or whatever else; he has served his time. But I hope he knows to expect crap like the office pool stuff.He will just have to deal with it. He shot and killed a human being.Whatever he has to deal with I am positive his victims family would love for that option to be available to their dead family member.

Gannon you scare me as well.Sex offenders are the worst for recividism. They don't quit because they are not mentally ill they are predators.They are manipulative.They say all the right things they go to all the therapy and then when they get the chance they do it again. Honestly where rapists and child molesters are concerned I believe execution is the way to solve that problem.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All of the so-called adults failed this kid, and we have more adults who continue to fail him. Like the person who let him walk out of that place with Pimp suit on."

He was 21, he can do what he wants. It's crazy to think his attorney and others didn't try to make him understand what a bad choice of clothing he choose for that day. Reports were that his attorney got into a heated argument with him because he wanted to wear the fur coat into the courtroom. Hopefully his inability to accept common sense advice from others doesn't cause him too many problems in the future.

Tiorted

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This article confirms that he plans to take classes at Wayne State...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/U PDATE/703220440

the article doesn't "confirm" that he will be taking classes at Wayne

what it says is that his "mentor" said Nat "plans" on attending

again, wanting to attend a school and actually being admitted to the school are two totally different things

Tiorted

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He aimed the goddamned gun and shot the guy in the head.......

thats not how i recall things

as I remember he randomly fired a shot that hit the victim in the head

I may be wrong though

Citylover

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crimelibrary.com/se rial_killers/weird/kids2/disor ders_4.html

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abraham committed a major crime, served time for it, and was cleared, by "the system," for release back into society. If he wants to take classes at WSU, or anywhere else, I don't see any fair reason why he should be disallowed to do so. I admit that, if my son was in a class with him, I would want my son to know it, just like I would always want my son to know if he was in the presence of a person who had killed someone. It's not "Nate-specific."

Iheartthed

Post Number: 550
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"as I remember he randomly fired a shot that hit the victim in the head

I may be wrong though"

That is what happened.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where is the outrage of a 17 year old raping a 14 year old but still admitted to UM? Where? I don't recall a thread here about it. Dan is a far far bigger threat to society than Nathaniel based on intent and lack of remorse.

Skulker, for someone who threatened to declare another poster a "flat-out racist", maybe you should get your facts straight first? Dan Granger had his admissions offer to UofM REVOKED after his crimes. So maybe YOU should apologize for tossing the race card around when the only issue here is YOUR ignorance of the facts. So Big Daddy not being upset about something that NEVER HAPPENED (Dan Granger attending UofM) makes him a racist? When in doubt, just throw the race card, even if you have to make shit up to do it!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5662
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A pimp in WSU. YAY!!!! He's ready for his education.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No big deal rather have him in school than running the streets. One irony-there's probably hundreds of decent kids in need of a helping hand to go to college that never harmed a fly that won't get the attention and accommodations he'll may be given due to his notoriety.
Wonder how many good god fearing kids won't get a shot due to not meeting Bill Cosby or being on Oprah?

Gannon

Post Number: 8802
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL,

Whew, that is interesting...I thought logic merely confused you, glad to know I can add scaring to my resume here.

We don't prosecute people for crimes they MAY commit. That is pure and simple idiocy...so far worse than reversing the age-old premise from British common law that one is to be presumed innocent until being found guilty for an actual crime COMMITTED.

Your over-reaction to give people who commit these crimes against persons the death penalty leads me to think you should go back to using heavily, it may help rewire your noggin some...maybe get you to that point where you can forgive whomever molested you.

The deepest question here is, is there ANY chance someone can commit a crime, do their time, then turn their lives around and make good for society?!

The way some of you speak, anyone who does time should just kill themselves...and save the state the trouble of reversing our constitutional restriction against the death penalty.

That is some truly fucked up shit.

One strike and you're out. No forgiveness, no mercy.

Do any of you believe in a God? Do ANY of you ever consider how many chances you each have had when you didn't get caught doing something wrong?!

I would much rather hang around convicts than the likes of YOU, at least they appreciate the deeper truths of mere human nature, and the Maker's struggle to put up with any and all of us.

No cheers on this one, y'all are some twisted and sorry fucks if you don't think this young man deserves another chance at making a productive life for himself...because IF he succeeds, we ALL win.

Ravine

Post Number: 815
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should keep in mind the fact that Abraham was somewhat "celebritized" by the media for their own almost entirely avaricious reasons, and that if, to any extent, he is benefitting from "special treatment," he is certainly not under any moral obligation to refuse those benefits. The kid may turn out to be a complete waste of cellular bonding, but fair is fair. It may be his fault that the other kid is dead, but it is not his fault that we do things they way we do them, including our habit of lustily sucking from the grotesque teat of the media and then whining about the taste.

Gannon

Post Number: 8803
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, I specifically excluded repeat offenders (those with patterns of behavior and unflinching in their desire to change) from being removed from this list. They SHOULD be on a list, if they are returned to society. The COPS should have the first-timers on another list that is NOT published, so if there are any reports of lurking and stalking they can get to this person hopefully before they go astray again.

Plus, if we don't replace the bad behavior with good in those who indicate a desire for abusing children, then we are setting them up for failure. The need for sexual comfort is a biological imperative, just derailed or stunted in childhood for whatever reason in these folks, unless there is an even deeper reason.

A first timer might have only been caught this time, for sure, but once caught...everything we do should protect them from additional abuses within the prison walls, and help them discover the beauty of using their sexual ability for good instead of evil.

If we just spank them and send them on their way, they will become another recidivism statistic for you to wave around. These people are often products of horrible events in their childhood that they justify passing along. Some have serious spiritual involvment...even possession in worst cases.

The depth of evil required to harm children requires an understanding of MORE than just mental, emotional, and physical issues...it requires spiritual discernment and other gifts beyond what most admit possible.

There is SO much more to this, but I wouldn't want to scare anybody.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 976
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned that the CHILD was playing with a gun someone left laying around. QUOTE: An 11 year old was playing with a gun that an irresponsible adult had left laying around. There was no proveable intent and no motive other than a KID, a mere child who was not fully aware of the consequences of his actions wanting to please adults and others around him by carelessly discharging a gun.

Not entirely true. Nate had no desire to please adults. If he did, then his mother would not have been asking for help and the police would not have had a file on him 3 inches thick (I'm guess ing at the size, I know there were over a dozen cases). Kids who want to please adults do NOT go around breaking the law, staying out all night, and having a total disregard for their parents the way Nate did.

Nate broke into his neighbors garage and STOLE the gun (doesn't that imply intent when one breaks into a place to steal an item?). Not necessarily laying around...should it have been in a garage? No. Then again, Nate had no business going into the garage in the first place.

(Message edited by detroitteacher on March 26, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... our habit of lustily sucking from the grotesque teat of the media and then whining about the taste.

What a great string of words! Bravo!

The worst thing that could happen would be if we were to deny him the success that he will have deserved from a sincerely reformed life.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker--are you confusing Nathaniel Abraham with the child in Mt Morris?

Citylover

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon the true sexual predator is not sick I will repeat they are not sick I will repeat one more time they are not sick_ they are evil and manipulative.There is no "cure" because there is no sickness.They are evil predators and should be eliminated. There is no such thing as someone that "molests" a child once or rapes a woman or girl once_ they do it again and again and again and again and again and again.......until they die or are caught.Then they are contrite and do and say all the right things until the opportunity presents itself and they do it again. And to clarify I am not referring to the poor guy that is on the offender list for going to bed with his seventeen yr old girlfriend.

Btw Gannon nice touch on your part suggesting that I start using again. Of course I don't expect any sympathy from anyone.I did all the things I did completely on my own.I will say you are a sanctimonious fraud. Should I tell those close to me, children, family members, that the God conduit of the detroityes forum suggests I use again? You know Gannon those people that worried about me wondered if they were gonna have a funeral for me_ should I tell them the god love spirit of Gannon suggests I start using " heavily"? Man the god spirit certainly has a joyful hold on you!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3749
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone still believes in the rule of law and is still outraged by this young man, I would suggest that they work to change the laws to fit their whim. Until then, he has paid for his crime in the eyes of the law. He deserves a second chance. By some of the talk here, one would think some want a brand burned on his forehead. Revenge fantasies are so fun aren't they? Half of Hollywood is about that orgasm.

Too bad Abraham was not the son of a Mexican aristocrat. Then he might become president. Consider the case of former Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gotari and his brother Raśl...
quote:

Raśl was close to his younger brother Carlos, and the two did much together. They shared many experiences, including the execution-style killing of a twelve-year-old household maid with a .22 caliber rifle on December 17, 1951, when they were five and three years old, respectively. The killing was ruled an accident, and no one was charged.

-- Wikipedia

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This case had little to do with the rule of law, this case was a travesty in which a bleeding heart judge took it upon himself to attempt to "reform" a convicted killer, instead of locking him up for life.

I don't know about you, but I'm not (nor would I be agreeable to having anyone else in my family for that matter) big on the idea of going to a university in which a convicted killer is attending.

BTW, why isn't there any talk about a "second chance" for Ronnie Greene?

Hmmmmmmm.........

Gannon

Post Number: 8805
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL,

(from the top, please read through as I address your comments in order)

Then you know NOTHING of spirituality and exorcism. That's OK, MOST of the sorry collection of mere humans are with you on this, in DENIAL of the bare basic truths of human nature under God.

The ways to learn this are plainly clear and easily available to anyone who seeks, asks, and knocks...but you must first take that curious babystep of faith, which to MOST looks like a leap.

I regret that line about "using", it was some lame attempt to gain your attention that you've got some rewiring renovations necessary in your noggin. I'm absolutely sure I do, too, ain't a ONE of us working at our highest level.

I am taking Royce's comments on that pot thread to heart...he really hit a deep nerve with his post, and I am taking that to the feet of God...as I've done in the past, but remembering my lessons on the cyclical trends in mere human behavior realize that everything we do returns in some fashion.

Please accept my apologizes for that asinine comment. You are absolutely correct with your assessment of how that flippant remark contrasts with everything else I deem important in life.

Sometimes being merely human is tough...all these damn mistakes we make. It is a wonder we've lasted THIS long through history. It is a wonder He lets me do His work at all, how often I screw things up.

Ravine

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody is ignoring the fact that Ronnie Greene deserved a "second chance." However, that is no longer possible, and this thread began with a separate, specific question about Nathaniel Abraham.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for proving my point, Ravine.

Here you have an individual who is moldering in the ground because of the careless actions of some punk, who apparently is/was getting a free ride from the State of Michigan for room & board. I'm still a little fuzzy on exactly who is paying for his tuition at WSU, which isn't exactly cheap.

I'd rather he still be locked away for life where he can no longer do any more damage, than turned loose as some part of a feel-good experiment on rehabilitation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.