Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Someone buy the freep a map! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070326/NEW S01/70326033

quote:

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox announced on Detroit’s west side today that 10 people have been charged in an auto insurance fraud ring that he likened to organized crime that generated millions of dollars.

Cox spoke to the news media at Somerset Auto Center on John R, near 8 Mile, which he called the ring's epicenter.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 780
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Dequindre the E-W line at Eight Mile? If so, yeah, technically, it's probably West Eight Mile Road. But I think it might even be the railroad tracks, which would make John R at Eight still on East Eight.

What it boils down to is: They don't need a map, they need at least a passing familiarity with the city, its residents, and how they see the city.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity...it depends on which marker you use. 75 or Woodward?

I'd agree with you...but this is hardly as egregious an error as you suggest.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 836
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was from the far eastside and for a long time I thought anything out west of dequindre then it became 75 now in my thoughts woodward is the divider. But for me its because I progressively have moved west and far from the far eastside. But recently I call everything in woodward corridor Northside

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John R is the Dividing Line. It begins at McNichols Road. South of that it is Woodward.
It depends on which side of the street its located on. Looking at Google maps, it appears to be on the West side of John R.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ongoing debate of weather the E/W line is at Woodward or John R continues.....though technically address wise it is as posted above

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward is the E/W border (since it and John R are so darn close to each other) to McNichols (6 Mile if you want), then John R IS the official E/W border.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway, that is obviously too close to the line to call it either west or east. A competent copy editor would have removed the qualification and said it was in Detroit.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A native west-sider here: I've never heard of anything other than Woodward as the east/west dividing line.

Urbanize

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've never heard of anything other than Woodward as the east/west dividing line."

That's because the typical SE Michigander uses Woodward as a everyday generalization since it's a major fareway everyone knows about and it's relatively close to the actual border. However, it's not the real E/W border by far.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Urbanize - no question. You'd probably need a sextant and compass or something to find the true middle.

But culturally I believe that most native Detroiters know what is meant by east & west, and most natives probably had GravityMachine's reaction to the claim of "west." My girl has no clue of east from west, and I'm not surprised because she's from Dearborn and refers to a ride to WSU from downtown as "going down Woodward." Drives me crazy...

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize has it right. Everyone else has it wrong.

Check any map of Detroit.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything E of John R along Seven Mile is Known as E Seven Mile. Everything W of John R is known as W Seven Mile. It is where the numbering begins. For N/S Michigan Ave is used and around Military (Dearborn, not Detroit) it bumps up to Cherry Hill.

Poor wording is what it was. Why bother saying which part of the City, then the rough street coordinates? Maybe they should have used N Detroit, but that sounds just as silly.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article appears to have been corrected and the reference to which "side" of the city the press conference happened at has been removed.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WXYZ just referred to the location of the body shop as "Detroit's Northwest Side".

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5078
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you are talking about is the Northend of Detroit. It could also be called State Fair area of Detroit. Sure as hell is NOT NW Detroit, far from it.

There's probably a specific neighborhood designation but we can't expect WXYZ nor the Free Press to care about that.

jjaba.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can honestly say, The title of this thread is one of the funniest one's I've read in a while. hehe. :-)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article appears to have been corrected and the reference to which "side" of the city the press conference happened at has been removed.

My guess: The article went up on the Web site without being edited by a copy editor, as often happens in this race to "get things online first." The print editions are edited by copy editors and then those stories are sent to the Web, replacing earlier versions.
This is why:
a) There are often so many typos on the Web versions of stories
and
b) Why the Web versions of stories are often abridged earlier in the day and then grow.

Urbanize

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize has it right. Everyone else has it wrong.

Check any map of Detroit."

If I don't know anything else, I know my maps and weather. Whatever you folks do today, DON'T WASH YOUR CARS.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alright, as egregious as my assertion that they made an error wasn't...

I must admit, I didn't grow up around here, so i don't have any tradition based familiarity with the ideocyncracies of local geographic reference, so please pardon my ridiculous association of woodward, our "main street" as being the bisector of our fair city along its entire length. how foolish of me!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity all woodward is northside or so im trying to influence everyone. My friend from Redford twp is odd and doesnt call oakpark westside he says southfield is but not oakpark.

Danjo444
Username: Danjo444

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As everyone who grew up on the east side knows, Gratiot is the official east/west border. :-)

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dequindre makes the most sense to me in present times. It divides Oakland and Macomb and a multitude of suburbs. IMO Madison Heights, Troy, Hazel Park, Ferndale are all west side suburbs. It's a hard pill for me to swallow that parts of Oakland county is considered part of "the east side suburbs." Maybe in the city Woodward makes more sense.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5144
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba thought there are sides of Detroit, then the suburbs are elsewhere. Let's not dignify a suburb with a Detroit designation, except, maybe "inner ring" or somethun.'

Dividing lines between suburbs are pretty irrelevant to Detroiters.

Oak Park is neither east nor west. It's a suburb for crissakes. And Ann Arbor is NOT a suburb of anything.

jjaba tells it like it tis.

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Park is a northern suburb, dontcha know. The question is, Is all of Oakland Co considered to be Northern suburbs? Or is some of it Western suburbs? Surely none of it is eastern suburbs?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The question is, Is all of Oakland Co considered to be Northern suburbs? Or is some of it Western suburbs?

Places like Milford and South Lyon are still in Oakland County and I would call those western suburbs.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward in the CoD and Dequindre north of 8 Mile.

Although, personally I like Danjo444's response that its Gratiot.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Places like Milford and South Lyon are still in Oakland County and I would call those western suburbs.

That's almost Livingston County. Milford is on the border of Brighton (which is in Livingston).

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Milford is on the border of Brighton.

Not really:

http://www.mapquest.com/direct ions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1 &un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi =&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2 l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1 c=brighton+&1s=mi&1z=&2pn=&2a= &2c=milford+&2s=mi&2z=&r=f

(Message edited by Pam on April 05, 2007)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're at it, let's buy the Detroit News a city map. That feeb Wendy Case reviews Bookie's (nice job plugging your pals, BTW) and sez Zeff's Grill (who will bring food to Bookie's for you) is down the street. It's in the same building, Wendy.

This is what I get for reading that damn paper. eeeee.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.