Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I guess crime happens everywhere « Previous Next »
Air conditioner thieves hit OaklandMiketoronto03-27-07  10:36 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8681
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I am not suggesting that Detroit has less or equivalent crime but we will see if this gets the same level of coverage that it received when theives were hitting place in Detroit.

My money says one blurb and brushed under the rug, probably for more Tara Grant coverage.

Air conditioner thieves hit Oakland

Some homeowners in Novi and Farmington Hills are having to do without air conditioning during this spate of warm weather after police say thieves stole air conditioners or components from the units in recent days.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070327/NEW S03/70327032

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off topic, but how hot is it down there? Air conditioning required to fend off some decent March weather?

Jt1

Post Number: 8682
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was about 80 yesterday and I believe in the 70s today but is supposed to cool off really quick.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime in Novi?!?! Now I've seen everything!
The suburbs are no longer safe! :-)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrappers. I hear there's about $70 worth of copper in the average air conditioner.
Bolt 'em to the windows. You'll see a lot of this happening this summer unless copper prices drop.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First street lamps and now this?!?!
But why are they going to Novi? I doubt there are many window units there, and it's awfully far to hoof it. Why wouldn't they hit the more immediate suburbs?

Jt1

Post Number: 8686
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But why are they going to Novi? I doubt there are many window units there, and it's awfully far to hoof it. Why wouldn't they hit the more immediate suburbs?

That has a severe implication to it. You want to go with that one?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I caught that one too. That was an interesting statement. BAD RAWK! ;)

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AC units have always been targets, everywhere. Years ago there were news stories about stupid kids breaking them apart in order to steal the freon.

Now it's just the stupid adults who didn't fry every brain cell as kids hitting their former targets once again.

(Message edited by courtney on March 27, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still, must be nice to live in an area where there is so little crime that police are able to assign detectives to investigate a couple of stolen air conditioner units...

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It was about 80 yesterday and I believe in the 70s today but is supposed to cool off really quick."

Officially 81 (another record high beating 79 from '98) and dewpoint hovering around 60 (very humid for SE Michigan standards even in the summer).

*Your DetroitYes weather man

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 562
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha, I am sorry. I did NOT mean to imply the immediate suburbs were crap. Nor did I mean to imply the people of Detroit don't have copper wiring in their A/C units.
What I MEANT to imply was that Novi is a long way to go for copper wiring when there is plenty of copper wiring in areas closer to the city and Highland Park and other areas dealing with rough times.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you buy central air units that don't contain copper? I may be upgrading my furnace soon.

Jt1

Post Number: 8690
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hahaha, I am sorry. I did NOT mean to imply the immediate suburbs were crap. Nor did I mean to imply the people of Detroit don't have copper wiring in their A/C units.
What I MEANT to imply was that Novi is a long way to go for copper wiring when there is plenty of copper wiring in areas closer to the city and Highland Park and other areas dealing with rough times.

You ust reinforced what I was talking about. There are thieves outside of Detroit and HP. Don't believe that all of the copper wire theft is homeless types. You'd be surprised that some of these scumbags are able to pay thier bills and live outside the city. The assumption that it must be people from Detroit/HP is the implication that I was speaking of.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.