Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Tricked-out mail boxes? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R2-D2 gives Postal Service street cred
March 28, 2007

By ONEITA JACKSON

FREE PRESS BLOGGER

When I saw the first one, I said, “Oooooo, somebody’s gonna get in trouble for tricking out that mailbox.” But it sure was cool.

Then I peeped another about a week later.

Advertisement

“Hold up, now. What is this about?”

No one’s getting in trouble, Ed Moore told me Tuesday. He’s the manager of communication for the U.S. Postal Service in Detroit.

“They’re not going to stay,” he said of the R2-D2 mailboxes. “They’re for a promotion.”

Apparently the post office is making a big "Star Wars" 30th anniversary announcement Wednesday — wooooo, somebody would get in trouble if they told me.

“Well, how long did it take to paint them?” I demanded. “When was it done, how did they do it, how many are there and — tell me everything, man!”

There are five in Detroit, he said. Four in Royal Oak. And the U.S.P.S. got the stealth team out for the plop-downs: “It was done after a certain time and for them to just appear.” Moore said he selected the locations in Detroit and wanted people “when they saw them the next morning to be like, ‘Whoa.'”

Well, whoa, whoa.

Moore said the 400 R2-D2 boxes across the country are the first to be tricked out. (Yes, he did say “tricked out.”)

I’m scared of the United States Postal Service (www.uspsjedimaster.com) getting some street flavor.

Better go check them out because they'll be gone in about three weeks.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070328/BLO G19/70327050

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw one of these on the Senate side of Capitol Hill. Two people who live in the apartment building behind it were having drinks and posing for pictures with R2.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8700
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is our post office wasting money on this non-sense. Will it cause the post office to spend less, bring in more revenue? What?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit, though, it makes them less of an eyesore...not that mailboxes area as big an eye sore as cell phone towers, but it sure does add something to the corners where these boxes are located...I kinda wish they'd stay, or at least paint something else on them

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mailboxes in their standard color and shape are about the most inconspicuous street fixtures out there. Not eyesores in my opinion; no more so than a fire hydrant. This promo does seem like a waste of money though.

Brings up an interesting thought however; with all the street mail boxes around the country, I'm surprised the USPS hasn't started selling the boxes as billboards for advertising. Wrap them in adhesive-backed vinyl sheets. Interesting way they could generate more cash w/o constantly raising the cost of stamps. Another way Starbucks or MickeyD's can infuse our lives with their marketing. :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8810
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess they are getting revenue from this...some of the last remaining open space for Madison Avenue to gunk up with their advertising.

Whee!

First one I saw is below Mezzanine's corner windows...R2D2, in the house on Broadway and Grand River!!

Harmonie and I were walking by it after a happy hour pint at Coaches Corner...just the other night.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess would be there is a Starwars stamp or series of stamps coming out. This does generate money for the post office. All those stamp collectors that buy stamps that are never used generate lots of profits for the post office.

Gannon

Post Number: 8811
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't a journalist-filed story, it is merely a blogger with a headline.

There is surely more to the story, they wouldn't be ABLE to use the R2D2 image without money flowing...and I'd bet it is the Lucas enterprise paying our largest non-profit.

The USPS IS run as a non-profit, isn't it?!

heh...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, I just walked down the street to check out the Royal Oak R2. Totally cool! Love it! I have no problem with this kind of environmental art, it adds a lot of character. I'm excited because my work is sponsoring a Tiger for Tiger Town, that will be another fun time.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, I recently read that the USPS has been quietly removing street mailboxes. I believe the reason had something to do with security or less demand due to email, etc.

This might be useful to others here: Mialbox Locator. There's a photo there of an R2D2 mailbox in Manhattan.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long until someone steals one. A day?

Ndavies

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh look what I found. It was fairly obvious.

Postal Service gives 'Star Wars' stamp of approval.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070328/NEW S07/70328032

Johnlodge

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How long until someone steals one. A day?"

Stealing even one letter is a pretty serious felony. I can't imagine what an entire mailbox would land ya.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Stealing even one letter is a pretty serious felony. I can't imagine what an entire mailbox would land ya.

So's killing someone. That doesn't seem to stop murders from happening.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure murder and stealing an R2D2 mailbox because you're a star wars fanatic really fall into the same crime mindset.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't really matter, If there's enough profit in it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beep bleep whistle

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are two in Greektown and there's another on Woodward near Warren.

This isn't a journalist-filed story, it is merely a blogger with a headline.

She is a journalist; she's a copy editor. She's not a reporter. Copy editors, page designers and photographers are journalists, too, you know.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some friends who would be very happy with you for that statement Rawk. :-)

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw one of these by the Royal Oak main post office. I thought it was just Royal Oak trying to be trendy/different, but apparently not.

Gannon

Post Number: 8828
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes,

I said that because of the byline, and the gaps in the story large enough to drive a semi-truck through.

Too many follow-up questions afterwards, far too many colloquialisms in the language used.

If this person took journalism and writing courses, I'm sure their professors are proud.

I've never "peeped" anything or anyone in my life, forcing Newspeak upon the unwilling should be a crime.

Perhaps I'm simply expecting too much from the New Free Press...who needs journalistic standards?! It was a fun story...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.