Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Girls Vocational School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother (who has passed away) apparently attended the Detroit Girls Vocational School in the 1930's, and I'm trying to find out more information about it. The only thing I know about it right now is the name. Where was it? (She lived in the Polish community south of Hamtramck, so it may have been near there.) It is possible to still access student records from the 1930's? Any information or history of any kind would be appreciated.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the school part of the DPS system? There was a girls vocational school called Farrand at Harper & John R, and one named Goldberg, at 12th & Ferry Park.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It *may* have been a part of the DPS system. And the Farrand school would be relatively close to her neighborhood.

The problem is, my grandma would always change the subject whenever anyone asked about high school. She never even gave details to my grandpa. It's a mystery. Did this school have a bad reputation? Or maybe she didn't graduate so that she would work to support her family (her father died when she was ten). We're just trying to figure it all out.

(Message edited by Psewick on March 28, 2007)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few pictures of Farrand here:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=ada4bb86 debf5a983140fb1f7b6a59f0&q1=gi rls&rgn1=vmc_ti&op2=And&q2=voc ational&rgn2=vmc_ti&type=boole an&med=1&view=thumbnail&c=vmc

I assume "vocational" back then meant the same as "homemaker".

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem
I think Goldberg merged with Wilber Wright about 1957-8.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.