Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Marcel Breuer Grosse Pointe Central Library « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the Library board in Grosse Pointe has come to a final decision regarding the Central Library designed by Marcel Breuer? I just recently found out about its impending destruction and I didn't find anything in the forums.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...here is the earlier thread on this topic:

Grosse Pointe Central Library is slated for razing
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/91745.html

It's mostly background and opinions...no resolution mentioned.

This site might also be of interest:
http://www.archinect.com/forum /threads.php?id=52121_0_42_0_C

Stecks77

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Kathleen, much appreciated.

Stecks77

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that are interested I found this recent (March 23) blog by Michael Hodges in the Detroit News to be very informative and is a good update on the current situation with the Library. Apparently the board is seriously considering a restoration/addition rather then a complete tear down which was erroneously reported.

http://info.detnews.com/blogs/ bloggers.cfm?id=architecture&b logid=651

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No they have not. There are new developments though. Many designs have come in that try to take the existing structure and put a building next to it, over the current parking lot. The parking would go underground. In my opinion, many of these look either very stupid or awkward. (Come on, and air traffic control tower as an addition).

For any of you who are interested, come down and look in the atrium/computer area for the several different renderings. I will update as needed if I can remember.

Stecks77

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100: Based on a prior thread regarding this building its pretty obvious your an advocate for tearing down the whole structure so I'm not surprised to hear that your not a big fan of the proposed alternatives.

What do you mean by ...

"No they have not"

Have there been developments since March 23? I did not suggest the board changed their mind. Merely that they are considering it more carefully

Quote from the above mentioned blog:

"A quick call to the genial Vickey Bloom, Central library branch director, brought us up to date.
While the trustees have explored replacing the discreet brick-and-glass two-story structure, Bloom says, they've also put out a two-track call for designs that look at both options -- replacement, or preserving most of the original while allowing for some expansion.

The decision, she says, should be made in late April."

"I would say we're all looking carefully at trying to restore it," Bloom tells ArchBlogger, "and, if there's some miracle, add onto it as well."

Scs100

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No they have not meant that they have not reached a final decision. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

I won't deny that I am not a fan of the building, but in my opinion, most of the proposed additions are pretty bad. No way do I want a control tower for an addition.

Stecks77

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to try and come down and take a look at the proposals Scs100. Thanks for letting me know they are on display.

Scs100

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. The more, the merrier down there. I will admit that there a couple that I do like though.

Stecks77

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aha!

Scs100

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on, I'm not THAT pessimistic. :-)

Even I can appreciate some things with stuff that I don't like.

Stecks77

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just teasing. I'm happy to hear that. Hopefully everyone will be satisfied when the end of this dilemma is reached.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did not erroneously report it. They reported that they were going to demolish it and when the firestorm started they back peddled.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS100, are you an employee there? I'm glad to see you're coming around to the idea of possibly saving the building. If they do in fact decide to have a vote on a millage, I will the the hardest working person opposing it. I plan on starting a PR campaign to oppose it.

Scs100

Post Number: 664
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I do work there.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, I'm sure we've crossed paths. I'm a GP taxpayer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.