Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Population of Midtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have any accurate numbers on the current population of midtown? The wikipedia section on midtown said 16,877 from the 2000 census, though there was no reference linked. Does anybody have any more up to date numbers? I've been searching around but can't seem to find anything solid.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5317
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I went to the American FactFinder (Census), and did a quick count up of all of the census tracts in Midtown. It divides very nicely, in fact. I came up with 13,315 as of 2000, so, perhaps, that number you posted is more recent.

Hope that helped. You may want to try and email the Detroit Midtown organization, or other Midtown organizations to see if they have their own counts/estimates, too. One thing is for sure, it will certainly be significantly more populated come the 2010 census a few years from now.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 29, 2007)

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the extra effort, I was just hoping for a link I hadn't found. I'll try emailing them.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always hear that the daytime population is over 50,000

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I always hear that the daytime population is over 50,000

Duh! The downtown population increases during sports events. Let's use that representative figure for the CBD.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5320
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, daytime populations actually do have meaning. Permanent resident populations matter more, but daytime populations are used for calculating local economies.

Why must you troll around making negative, smart-assed comments wherever you go?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignoring LY's silly comment...

With the Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University and the Cultural Center, that 50,000 figure is quite probable.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 29, 2007)

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually I read the daytime population of midtown is 63,000. This was some third-party research commissioned for the South Campus village project. My curiosity was about the number of permanent residents.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8749
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown's population probably increases significantly during the day but I suspect that much of it has to do with the hospitals.

For the consideration of supporting businesses, etc I doubt hospital staff contribute a lot on a per person basis to businesses in midtown.

Consider that Midtown Deli closes at 7PM. Given the location it is pretty clear that the post work day hospital crowd doesn't help that place.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Midtown's population probably increases significantly during the day but I suspect that much of it has to do with the hospitals.

For the consideration of supporting businesses, etc I doubt hospital staff contribute a lot on a per person basis to businesses in midtown.

Consider that Midtown Deli closes at 7PM. Given the location it is pretty clear that the post work day hospital crowd doesn't help that place."

Well duh. Of course a lot of it has to do with the hospitals. They represent probably close to half the daytime population. Take away the University and the Hospitals and you'd be left with the permanent residents I think (and many less without those two institutions.) Im not sure why you'd discount their impact on midtown because the midtown deli closes at 7. The daytime population refers, obviously, to the number of people present only in the daytime. Then they go home, elsewhere. I'm sure many of the midtown restaurants wouldnt survive without the hospitals.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8756
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not saying definitively that they don't have a large impact but it seems to me that the hospital employess don't venture out enough to make a huge impact.

This is just my impression. I think WSU and WSU students have a much, much larger impact on Midtown businesses than the hospitals. AS someone that frequents midtown establishments often I don't tend to see large volumes of hospital employees. Maybe they are there and the Midtown hospital employees remove their badges after work which isn't the case for many other hospital employees.

The demographic at many/most of the place in midtown also seem pretty young to be hosiptal employees. I am happy for every dollar that is spent in every business in the city but the hospitals in Midtown don't seem to spur a ton of business.

I hope I am wrong since this is based upon major assumptions of mine.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i leave midtown during the day, please subtract 1

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should do our downtown census count on a day when the Tigers, Lions, and Red Wings are all playing at the same time and there is a show at the Fox, Opera House, and "Filmore" Theaters.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those counts including the crack heads?

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are those counts including the crack heads?"

If they are registered at a shelter or one of those shady motels, then yes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.