Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Two Ann Mikolowski Exhibits « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 479
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gallery at CCS currently has an exhibit of works by Ann Mikolowski entitled Two Ways of Looking in a Mirror. It is a stunning show that presents both her very large, brooding lakescapes of Lake Huron and her tiny, perhaps 2 inch by 2 inch or smaller, portraits of people connected with Detroit's art world.

Concurrently, the Paul Kotula Gallery, on Woodward in Ferndale (above where Revolution Gallery used to be) is running a show of her small and very small ink and watercolor landscape works on paper.

Ann and her husband Ken were a part of the Cass Corridor group of artists and musicians in the mid 60's and 70's. They had a home in Woodbridge, on Avery IIRC. I first became aware of her art when I saw a photo of a painting of a larger than life cow she had painted and had hanging in her house.

When she would have a show of her tiny portraits, it was said she'd carry the complete exhibit to the gallery in a cigar box.

Ann Mikolowski died of breast cancer in 1999. She was, and remains, a major Detroit artist. If you have any interest in Detroit's artistic heritage, both shows merit your time, I believe.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.