Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The State Theatre.........now the Filmore!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/U PDATE/703290478/1003

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the surface this sounds great. The Filmore has a long history of innovation and off the main track bookings.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VF

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5107
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now jjaba can see his favorite acts. Oy veyesmere with these new groups.

jjaba, Old Timey Westsider.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Live Nation is actually Clear Channel with a new name? Suddenly this seems a lot less cool and a lot more like a cynical cash-in attempt.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it's another name for Live Nation, aka Clear Channel ...before you get too excited.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK... as Preservation Wayne's guide for the State Theatre during PW's annual Downtown Historic Theatre Tours (this August will be my 9th year), I have several questions to ask.... :-)

1) currently the State Theatre has maximum seating of 2,200 (see next question), will that be changed?

2) Will the terraced main floor dance floor, bars and cabaret seating be removed, and the main floor return its slope so that the 1,500 permanent seats (that Chuch Forbes has in storage) be returned to the theatre, so that those 1,500 seats plus the 1,500 theatre seats (still remaining) in the mezzanine and balcony level... so that the theatre will once again have 3,000 seats? Since this article mentions 3,000 seats that means either a) it will return to total seating, or b) the article author didn't do their homework.

3) The only totally restored parts of the State are the outer lobby, and the rotunda lobby. Will the 3 story grand foyer and the auditorium finally get their long delayed restoration and cleaning? (There's lots of smoke soot on all surfaces in the auditorium, as well as paint peeling in the auditorium and grand foyer).

4) Will the backstage/mechanical areas finally get upgraded?

Theatre Background:

The State Theatre opened on October 29, 1925 with 2,967 seats, in a Picture Palace Neoclassic style. It's exhibition days ended in 1981, and was unused until Chuck Forbes bought it (circa 1984) and the attached 12 story Francis Palms Building.

The Publix 1 Wurlitzer organ original to the State was removed some time in the mid 20th century. The organ console and relay from the State are today in the Castro Theatre in San Francisco.

The State has gone thru an identity crisis before... it opened as the State Theatre in 1925, became the Palms Theatre, the Palms-State Theatre, and back to being the State Theatre. In the 1990's although it was still called the State Theatre, it was also known as "CLUB X".

The only portion of the auditorium that has been fully restored is the Procenium arch (including the 2 fake plaster knights-in-armor on either side of the stage, as well as the first 2 columns to the right of the stage.

The auditorium is still otherwise in its' original condition, except the painted canvas panels between the columns around the auditorium and the awnings above those panels (between the columns) no longer exist (except at the back of the balcony where the painted panels still exist).

The State Theatre is a rare type of theatre, where 1/2 of the seating was NOT on the main floor (most theatres had a majority of seats on the main floor). Because of the fact that the balcony is so large, the theatre is extremely tall, going 8 stories up to the coffered dome.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 29, 2007)

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fillmore good. Clear Channel bad. Feelings mixed.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says they're going to "redo" the chandeliers? For some reason I don't think of Live Nation/Clear Channel when I think of restoration.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not happy when i saw clear channel, but after looking into it, the article is a little misleading. Live Nation was formerly Clear Channel Entertainment, a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications that handled live events. In 2005, it was spun off into a separate company. So the company that is taking over the State Theatre is NOT the radio station company, except for a few overlapping board members.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ive_Nation

However, I'm mildly concerned at this. Is this the first step towards having a 'Fillmore' in every city? While I'm aware that historically, theatre chains were common, companies of recent years scare me with their homogenization of, well, everything. If they were to decide to remake every venue to mirror every other venue at some point in the future, I will be furious.

However, if they work to preserve/restore the theatres, I would be thrilled. A live entertainment company with collection of unique, restored theatres across the country could actually do quite well in my opinion.

Gistok

Post Number: 3977
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chandeliers they are talking about would likely be the 2 enormous ones in the 3 story grand foyer. The Auditorium has mainly cove lighting mainly from the backlit coffered ceiling dome, as well as sidewall sconces.

However above the grand foyer chandeliers there is a barrel vaulted ceiling with peeling paint. The gilded top white Corinthian columns around the grand foyer (I forgot to mention earlier) were also previously restored.

Gistok

Post Number: 3978
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr, it is likely that since Chuck Forbes owns the theatre and building (his offices are up in the office block), that I wouldn't worry about any drastic changes to the theatre.

Back in the late 1980's Michigan Opera Theatre wanted to buy the State and use it as the Detroit Opera House, but Chuck Forbes was not interested in an outright sale, only a lease.

A lease is the likely scenario in this situation.

Gistok

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious to see the new Fillmore marquee when it is completed. Hopefully they will include a nice vertical marquee as well, something that the State currently does not have.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, Gistok, I didn't think to consider that. With that info, I would hope that this means more restoration is part of the deal. Like you, I hope for a vertical marquee, complementing the one on the Fox.

Gistok

Post Number: 3980
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unlike the Ilitch's, Chuck Forbes does not have real deep pockets. So he's done things piecemeal, as money became available. He's also spent a lot on the Gem/Century, the Elwood Bar & Grill, and maintaining other properties he owns in the Park Avenue area.

Although Chuck is getting on in years, his children are involved in his development company, and will carry on the tradition of historic preservation.

Fortunately for Chuck, he did make a nice profit on selling his land for the Stadia. However, it was at the cost of losing the YMCA, the YWCA, and the Wolverine Hotel... 3 large properties that were razed for Comerical Park... although the Wolverine Hotel behind Chelios Chili, became an Ilitch parking lot. :-(

(Message edited by Gistok on March 30, 2007)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 812
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fillmore! Nice.
It least The State hasn't fallen to the same type of corporate behemoth that replaced Tiger Stadium's name with "Comerica Park".
Can you imagine "The Ameritech Theater" or "The Bank America Ballroom"?

Thanks Gistok for the history. I used to frequent The State on Saturday nights when 89X turned it into "Club X". Ode to a great club night, and a formerly-great radio station (before it lost it's innovation).

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this idea ... the Fillmore in SF is one of the best venues I've ever experienced!

This feels like big news, but at the same time stays local.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have several questions to ask....

Will there be LSD and a bad light show?

Bill Graham, dead for years but his "brand name" lives on. I don't know, sounds cheesy to me.

(Message edited by Pam on March 30, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PSIP--Johann Sebastian Bach is GLAD you are HERE!

I knew Virgil before he passed--he brought the master to the masses using light shows and rock-style promotions.

56packman

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-the Palms/State Wurlitzer Publix 1 was removed in 1974 by Roy Davis of McMinville,TN. six of the choice ranks of pipework had been taken already. everything but the console went to Oral Roberts university out west, was combined into a big gospel-machine. The console is in the Castro.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope they don't start filling it with concerts of whatever crappy pop stars clear channel is trying to push as the flavor of the week. I've enjoyed how the State, in the past, has booked a good mix of bigger name artists as well as regional acts.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the heck did anyone in McMinnville TN have to do with the STATE? (I worked in McMinnville for 13 years). Just find that odd. Glad to hear something is happening with the state. Its a great place and I hope they "restore" more than they "renovate"!!!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 881
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good! maybe they'll draw a different type of people now as opposed to the Thug and Bimbo crowd like you'd see on Altered State nights.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9326
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see any venues changing as The State theate always had decent performances. I don't see how changing the name will any effect on new acts playing there.
It will remain The State Theater to me.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is probably good.

National money, national interest. There is a belief that downtown development is strengthened by "chain" operations locating there, albeit...depends on the chain.

Does this mean that Frank Zappa's coming back (to life?).

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theaters are not immune to corporate naming--for reference see the Canon Theater (Pantages) in Toronto.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this quote:

"For example, a bowl of apples will be added inside the lobby,"

It's little details like this that will put the Woodward Ave. revival over the edge! Seriously though, why report on something like this? A bowl of apples was never part of the State Theater history as far as I know.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 844
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently it was part of the Filmore's history...but then again, so was LSD

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should put LSD in the bowl. That would certainly increase attendance and would make for great people watching.

Pffft

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clear Channel Entertainment was spun off so as to separate it in the minds of the public from evil Clear Channel, the radio behemoth. If you think it's really a separate company ...LOL.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8853
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,

For clarity, when launched from a solid spiritual base, there ARE no bad light shows on an LSD trip...from what I understand.

I am very excited by this...very cool for them to choose our fair city for this third installment of the Fillmore legend.

I've with Dial4hipster on this, my absolute most amazing concert experience was at the Fillmore in SF for Poi Dog Pondering's "last show" when they quit a season before 9/11...I've got the poster enshrined on my wall ten feet from my head!

After looking through their Wikipedia listing, and their official website, it looks like we'll be able to perhaps have Poi Dog land in Detroit for another Fillmore show soon.

One can only hope.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For clarity, when launched from a solid spiritual base, there ARE no bad light shows on an LSD trip...from what I understand.

I've heard high people also enjoy staring at lava lamps. :-) As a non-high person though, I'll pass on light shows, thanks.

I'm surprised at the number of people excited about this. Isn't this the same forum that hates chain restaurants? What's the diff? Seems bad to me to erase local history by importing a name from San Francisco.

Pffft

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we have to look at Fillmore concert posters.

What about our own famous Grande Ballroom posters?

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the State for 3 years in the late 90's as an assistant building engineer.
Three things to look for in the building that you may have otherwise missed:

In the small vestibule on the Elizabeth St. side Grand Lobby exits to the south, there are two ribbed glass panels with the words "Strike Match Here" underneath, in the hopes patrons would not mar the walls inside.

When you enter the Grand Lobby from the Main Lobby under the staircase, if you look up you will see a large plaster medallion. In the center of the medallion is a lens with a light bulb behind it. This would shine a single beam of light straight down, and allow an usher to check tickets once a program began and the house lights dimmed.

When in the auditorium, look up to the top dome. You will notice a Rosetta pattern making rings made of plaster. If you look closely you'll notice a grouping of Rosettas facing the back of the theater that seem to be flat. These are actually painted on to three metal panels that can be lifted up to allow for spotlights to shine on the stage.

I suppose my longest lasting contribution to the theater is the two metal and glass lights at the top of the mezzanine staircase from the Main Lobby (formally the Oval Room, but that's another story). As long as I had been going to events at the State when it was still Club Land and up until I worked there those lights never worked. One slow day I decided to investigate. Three days later I had them rewired and working.

Gannon

Post Number: 8855
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot keep lava lamps around the house.

Cambrian

Post Number: 885
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krawlspace what was the vacant theater across Elizabeth from the state? Some Urban Spelunker or Homeless person had pried one of the steal doors open. I was able to look in and see intact debris covered theatre seats. (I hope no one reads this and takes that as an invite to go "pilfering" through there).

Or what was that midevil looking business frontage also on Elizabeth, the same side as the state presumably at the back of thier property?

Gannon

Post Number: 8856
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft,

I was NEVER at any Grande Ballroom shows, so why would I have a poster from their shows?

Although, I philosophized with ol' Russ Gibbs often growing up in East Dearborn during the mid-to-late seventies...he came through the Mobil station I worked at in high school with either his little, cheap Chevette or huge, expensive Cadillac Fleetwood...and was a fixture at the counter of Golden Boy Donuts.

(my father thought him a blowhard, but I loved hanging around hearing his stories...would've probably been to some of those shows if Daddy'd exercised that mojo earlier, I was always pissed at him for getting me into the world 'just' late enough to miss the sixties!)

May that Grande Ballroom spirit return to the city with a vengeance! Rock and Roll will certainly never die.

56packman

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian--that is the Adams theatre

______________________________ __(fill in Illitch hate message here)

Cambrian

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right! I remember the Adams Theater from my Dad working at the David Whitney building. I was looking at one of thier rear entrances, the front entrance faced Grand Circus Park.

How about the Mid Evil building across the street?

(Message edited by cambrian on March 30, 2007)

Pffft

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,
I don't care if you own a Grande Ballroom poster -- who cares?

A Detroit venue should have Grande Ballroom posters up, not Fillmore posters.

Are they opening a Grande Ballroom in San Francisco? No. So this is a chain restaurant, they'll ignore our local history, which is as storied as that of SF.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those two tiny little buildings wedged in between the detroit women's club and the state?

I think the one on the right is abandoned, but the one on the left is Ghetto Recorders (though it looks abandoned) where The White Stripes and Von Bondies have recorded.

56packman

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've covered that one a few times--it is a commercial front built on to what was a house, it was a poultry store in the 20's, became Carter electric some time later, is a recording studio now.

Gistok

Post Number: 3982
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, the theatre you are referring to would be the auditorium of the Adams Theatre (entry via the Fine Arts Building on W. Adams).

Thanks for that tidbit 56packman. As an theatre organ historian, I knew you wouldn't disappoint!

And thanks for the info Krawlspace. Now I'm going to add some of your info to my theatre tour schtick! :-)

As far this being good or bad... Pam, renaming a theatre is nothing new in America, or Detroit. Remember that the Detroit Opera House was earlier known as the Capitol (1922-29), the Paramount (1929-34), the Broadway Capitol (1935-60) and the Grand Circus (1960-89).

Although the name "Fillmore" doesn't excite me that much (not being familiar with the history) judging from the comments of Dialh4hipster and Gannon, the entertainment at that theatre should improve a few notches.

In my opinion, if further (expensive) theatre restoration takes place, then it is a win-win situation for Chuck Forbes and Detroit.

I'm also hoping for some exciting marquees. The one at the State right now is NOT grand enough for such a great venue.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State was named the Palms. I like its current name, but I don't really care what they call it, so long as they don't butcher the interior with their "redo."

(Message edited by dan on March 30, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 8861
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft,

I care! Thought you were going after the mention of MY memory. (I don't care if you don't care about that, I'm sharing anyways!)

Ha, I wasn't considering THEIR choice of posters...of course they should fill it with Detroit history.

Like I said, may the Grande Ballroom spirit return, even to this national chain place.

Do five links make a chain?!

Cheers!

Gistok

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are worrying about the little shit (who's posters)?

They could display a poster of a Hoe-Down at the Apollo for all I care... as long as they do some nice theatre restoration and refurbishing! :-)

The State has enough space on the north wall of the outer lobby, and the east wall of the grand foyer to hang dozens of posters, enough to keep everyone happy!!

(Message edited by Gistok on March 30, 2007)

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me it's nothing-the Filmore's are long gone and were in no way associated with Detroit music history. Same as re-naming Hudson's to Marshall Fields-now Macy's.

56packman

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can call it whatever you want, it'll still look better with the lights turned down low and it will still smell like stale beer

56packman

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can call it whatever you want--It'll still look better with the lights turned down low and it'll still smell like stale beer

Gistok

Post Number: 3989
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... especially the day after the Fash-Bash (when they still had them here)... I remember the theatre tours in years past were always the day after the Fash-Bash... and the floors were sticky with spilled beverages... with that stale beer smell (that you so correctly described 56packman) permeating the premises!

Crepe or rubber bottomed shoes were especially sticky with those little drink straws and napkin fragments stuck to the bottom of the shoes... :-(

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything associated with The House of Blues brand has to be bad.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5701
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well! No more State Theatre, hello Filmore. No more garage bands, but instead classic opera.

Gistok

Post Number: 3997
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theatre name changes happen all the time. I already cited the State and Capitol (Detroit Opera House). But other theatres have undergone name changes as well.

The 1928 Wilson Theatre (built by Matilda Dodge Wilson) became Music Hall in the late 1940's when the DSO had a short lived presence there, and has been known as Music Hall ever since.

Orchestra Hall became the Paradise Theatre in 1939, and reverted back to Orchestra Hall in 1970 when the derelict theatre was saved from demolition.

The 1906 Temple Beth El became the Bonstelle Playhouse from 1925-28, the Detroit Civic Theatre from 1928-33, the Mayfair Theatre from 1933-51, and has been the Bonstelle Theatre since 1951, when Wayne State University purchased it.

In 1927 the Oriental Theatre opened up on W. Adams Ave., only to have its' name changed to Downtown Theatre from 1930-50. The earlier years it was known as the Downtown RKO Theatre, but in the 1940's it was just known as the Downtown Theatre, with a large "H" at the top of the vertical marquee (for Howard Hughes, who owned it and many other theatres in the 1940's). It was demolished in 1951.

Danny, the State/Fillmore will not be showing classic opera. The stage is much too small for Opera.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 31, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.