Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Kings Arms Hotel? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know anything about this place? I went to the State sex offenders registry and put in the 48201 area code. About 60 offenders showed up in the zip code, 34 of them live in the Kings Arms on MLK/Myrtle. 34!!! Is this a halfway house of some sort? Does anybdoy know further details?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the residents... maybe this is a place to promote tearing down.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonnyfive, you know the address; go drive by.

I hope your neighbors don't say the same thing about you, Irish Mafia.

Tearing it down would be stupid. It's fairly isolated and who wants to put 34 sex offenders in separate locations?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jonnyfive, you know the address; go drive by.

I hope your neighbors don't say the same thing about you, Irish Mafia.

Tearing it down would be stupid. It's fairly isolated and who wants to put 34 sex offenders in separate locations?"

Oh wow, he told y'all good. Is someone having a tough day Bumble?

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The really frightening thing is that they all listed the same address, so I googled the address. Every place I found the address was for hotels in the city of detroit. Can you imagine if an unknowing out of town visitor stayed there?

Bumble

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It frightens you? Like gives you goosebumps or something? You're frightened that 34 registered sex offenders in a hotel that you can't find are going to come get you? And do things to you?

Oh, you're frightened for unknowing out-of-town visitor? How noble. What if they stayed there and never found out 34 sex offenders lived there? Then what?

Gimme a break. Like I said, go drive by the place and tell me if you'd ever stay there.

It's evident it's a residential hotel and at first sight it looks like a place that might house 34 sex offenders. Imagine how frightened you'd be to find out that the place shut down and one of the boogey men came to live next door to you!

BOO!

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think bumble's post is funny and wasn't meant to offend.

Bumble

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lessee, I googled "Detroit Hotels" and Kings Arms wasn't on the first page, so I googled "Detroit Hotels Kings Arms" (as if an unsuspecting would-be visitor would do that) and got a little google map showing its location as well as a dead link. Hardly the stuff that gets the visitors in the door.

So, here's what I think, jonnyfive. You were either frightened that sex offenders live near you and bringing down your property value, or you were just being nosy, neither of those behaviors fits your bravado.

There are a lot of things that are very damaging to Detroit's imagine, and the possibility that an unsuspecting visitor would book a room at the Kings Arms Hotel is not one of them. Get a life.

What you thought was an interesting discussion is that people convicted of sex offenses are marked with a scarlet letter and busybodies like yourself can spend their Friday nights looking to see if the next-door neighbor is a prevert. That's the discussion you really want.

Now, imagine this: Those scarlet letters mark only the preverts who have been caught. How many are lurking in the shadows?

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tee hee!

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lessee, I googled "Detroit Hotels" and Kings Arms wasn't on the first page, so I googled "Detroit Hotels Kings Arms" (as if an unsuspecting would-be visitor would do that) and got a little google map showing its location as well as a dead link. Hardly the stuff that gets the visitors in the door. "

Somebody sent me the link to the State of Michigan site and suggested I take a look. It's quite simple. I popped in 48201 and up came some names. After perusing a list of people convicted of various sexual crimes I noticed that most of them lived at three addresses. If they hadnt mostly lived at three addresses I would have moved on, but I have a natural curiosity.

5 or 6 had registered addresses at the Detroit rescue mission.

Disheartening, but not shocking.

5 or 6 had registered addresses at the veterans home. Disheartening, but not shocking.

Then I noticed that every other address was 470 myrtle or 470 MLK (the street changes names about there.) I counted and found 34. Red flag. Spider-sense going wild.

I googled the address and found it listed as the kings arms hotel. I googled the kings arms hotel in Detroit, with or without the address and I found listing after listing as a hotel. I thought to myself, wow what a strange occurence. Then I googled sex crimes/sex offenders/halfway house etc in conjunction with the kings arms and came up with nothing. I turned to the board because many people here seem to have amazing knowledge of obscure Detroit things and my GENERAL CURIOSITY led me to ask this question. My thought that it would be a frightening prospect for an outsider to land a hotel room there was a casual observation, nothing more.

"So, here's what I think, jonnyfive. You were either frightened that sex offenders live near you and bringing down your property value, or you were just being nosy, neither of those behaviors fits your bravado. "

Not frightened.

I don't own a home, and they were there before me, so property values never crossed my mind.

Nosy? Possibly, but its a database readily available on the state of Michigan website, so I disagreee.

My Bravado? Im posting on a message board discussing issues about Detroit. What fucking Bravado are you talking about.

"There are a lot of things that are very damaging to Detroit's imagine, and the possibility that an unsuspecting visitor would book a room at the Kings Arms Hotel is not one of them. Get a life. "

The south South Cass area affects Detroit's image. Get a life.

"What you thought was an interesting discussion is that people convicted of sex offenses are marked with a scarlet letter and busybodies like yourself can spend their Friday nights looking to see if the next-door neighbor is a prevert. That's the discussion you really want. "

I don't really care to discuss the merits of a public sex offender registry. It's a bit weird to me that it exists, but if I were raising kids I might thing differently. No, it isnt the discussion I want at all.

Oh, I never signed a lease. Not sure why you would address me as such.

You assume a lot.

Bumble

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had to go through all of this:

quote:

I googled the address and found it listed as the kings arms hotel. I googled the kings arms hotel in Detroit, with or without the address and I found listing after listing as a hotel. I thought to myself, wow what a strange occurence. Then I googled sex crimes/sex offenders/halfway house etc in conjunction with the kings arms and came up with nothing. I turned to the board because many people here seem to have amazing knowledge of obscure Detroit things and my GENERAL CURIOSITY led me to ask this question. My thought that it would be a frightening prospect for an outsider to land a hotel room there was a casual observation, nothing more.

To find out that registered sex offenders lived in a residential-hotel-cum-flophous e in Midtown, and you worried that someone might actually mistake it for a real hotel, follow some dead links on the Internet to get a phone number and make a reservation, (somehow bypassing the question of how many hours they'd like the room), drive up to the dump, unpack the car, walk past the dozen guys loitering out in front, likely get buzzed into the front lobby, and possibly be confronted by 34 registered sex offenders. This, you think will give Detroit a black eye, so you posted this:

quote:

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:59 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
The really frightening thing is that they all listed the same address, so I googled the address. Every place I found the address was for hotels in the city of Detroit. Can you imagine if an unknowing out of town visitor stayed there?

So, you say your spider-sense went wild. To what effect?

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a casual remark. I said "can you imagine if an unknowing out of town visitor stayed there." Yep, can you imagine?

Bumble

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I can't. I can't imagine any reasonable adult would ever, ever, ever mistake the Kings Arms Hotel for a real hotel, ever. Never. The fact that there are 34 registered sex offenders who list this hotel as their permanent address should have been an indication to you that this hotel is not in the same league as the Inn on Ferry Street.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've never speculated on a topic before?

I think I'd rather talk to a killer robot.

Bumble

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:46 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Does anybody know anything about this place? I went to the State sex offenders registry and put in the 48201 area code. About 60 offenders showed up in the zip code, 34 of them live in the Kings Arms on MLK/Myrtle. 34!!! Is this a halfway house of some sort? Does anybdoy know further details?

Speculate like this? No. As you say, though, maybe you would be better off talking to killer robots.

Jonnyfive

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So anyway, Im still curious if anybody knows any background on this place. Please share any info in a way likely to upset bumble.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnyfive-

I have driven by The Kings Arms more than once. I have a friend who lives on Peterboro. I believe it is between Cass and Woodward on Myrtle. It is pretty much of a dilapidated building. I have often thought how I wouldn't want to live there. Now I really know why. What is the sex offenders registry e-mail address? I tried to find it lately and couldn't....the one where you type in by zip code.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 31, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a good way to scare your kids into behaving.
"If you don't behave, I'm going to take you to Kings Arms!"

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 602
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnyfive:

Send him a card.

Bumble
470 MLK/Myrtle
Detroit, MI 48201

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is the sex offenders registry e-mail address? I tried to find it lately and couldn't....the one where you type in by zip code.

Google "Michigan sex offender" and it is literally the first thing that comes up! How hard did you look for it?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.