Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Park Ave. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the history of this street. What class of folks usually lived along this strip? Any rehab plans in place and prepared to start soon?

Oh, and please, I sense a Hockey Stadium joke is coming, SAVE IT!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be wrong, but the CBD was never very populated at anytime in history.

Urbanize

Post Number: 488
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, ok Sharmaal, so can anyony tell me what class of folks usually hung out along this strip?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what type of folks hung out on the corner of Brush and Alfred from June 1st till August 15th 1950 from the hours of 9am until 3:30 pm? Were they taking care of business? Would they be interested in buying a condo in the Book Cadillac?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 927
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were they wearing suits? How many appeared to be upper class?

Urbanize

Post Number: 493
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm hmm, so since the Hockey Stadium joke was ruled out, y'all had to joke about past stuff. The ignorance on the site is hilarious. Eric, you're already one of my most disliked members, so I'll ignore your posts.

Could someone just start something up about Park Ave. that's interesting. There must be some history behind it.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 31, 2007)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a little bit of recent history about Park in this story. I do know that the building that houses the Park Bar and Cliff Bells was built by Joseph Campau. I had heard a story that it was supposed to be built a few stories taller but wasn't because of the depression. That's only something I heard in passing though.

Model D-troiter: Jerry Belanger

http://modeldmedia.com/feature s/Belanger81.aspx

I still like ya Eric. BTW, anything new with the houses on your block in need of restoration?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll give eric_c a polite golf clap for that one.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the womans club is gettin rehab,also the life building, two significant projects

Urbanize

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great. Hopefully, these and the Grand Circus park development will spark more projects along Park ave.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 506
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I red that Park Ave. was named as such because of the trees that were planted along it giving of a "park-like" feel. The book I read it in was from the 1920's, and there were quite a few upscale apartments located there.

Urbanize

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a picture of the lobby of the at the Hotel Park Ave., VERY underrated Hotel in Downtown Detorit.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has work started on the Life building yet?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Urbanize... I ain't no troll... :-)

Park Ave. used to cross over into Midtown. But with the last freeway redo, they removed it... probably for redo of the Woodward exit (for the Comerica Park and Ford Field redo).

I'm not sure it helped the development of the street, but Park Ave. was definitely one of the most run down sections of downtown before the rebirth of the entertainment district.

Also, in one of the other threads last year there was a very beautiful public space in one of the Park Ave. buildings... The Century Club (across from the Town Pump), a Chuck Forbes owned building. It had a wonderful French 18th century Louis XV style 2 story ballroom that is absolutely beautiful!

This ballroom takes up part of the 2nd & 3rd floors of the building. The 3rd floor elevator lobby looks down onto this space as a balcony. Just an amazing space that I didn't even know existed downtown.

From the outside you can see the huge arched windows for the ballroom inside.

Anyone have any of the pics?

(Message edited by Gistok on April 01, 2007)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Park Avenue probably has the best scale of any street downtown. I think it is one of the best lit streets downtown. Being narrow and a one-way probably has a lot to do with that. Too bad they cut it off from the CBD with that new freeway entrance.

BTW, isn't it interesting that Park Avenue bisects Woodward and Cass, but north of Peterboro, Woodward and Cass are separated only by an alley.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 928
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hemingway,

ecriteser@hotmail.com, please.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.