Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » U-M Detroit Project Day « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just returned from the University of Michigan's Detroit Project Day and it has to have been one of the coolest experiences I have had in college thus far. I worked with the Northwest Detroit Neighborhood Development group in Brightmoor and I was amazing to learn about all the ways the group is working towards positive changes in the neighborhood. During the clean-up projects, some kids from the neighborhood came to help us out, which was really awesome.

Any other DP day participants out there?
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tielerh, I was there, working with the blight busters at multiple sights along Lahser from the Redford Theatre to McNichols. We helped move some heavy salvage items into a blight busters/habitat for humanity warehouse behind the Artist's Village Complex on Lahser (really cool place).

Last year I was in Brightmoor with the NDND group and was cleaning up those vacant, debris/trash-filled lots, and preparing them for infill or gardens.

Both of my experiences were great.

In both years, we got to interact with the locals, who definitly embraced us. Last year we talked to a family on Bentler Street during our break time, in addition to meeting one of the NDND leaders. This year we met some of the blight busters and artists village leaders, and had an interesting talk with a high school youth when we were cleaning an alley near McNichols.

My only gripe: DP doesn't do anything on the eastside, yet.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.