Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » WWJ, A Jesuit and the Bomb « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fascinating story about a man from Detroit. Just another example of Detroit's rich history.

In August of 1995, two significant events in world history celebrated an anniversary: the 50th anniversary of the dropping of the Bomb on Japan and 75th anniversary of WWJ (the first commercial radio station). While these events may appear to be unrelated, documents have recently surfaced which connect my great-uncle, Father Michael DeLisle Lyons, to both events.

http://www.oldradio.com/archiv es/stations/wwj1.htm

If you are curious about Mike's middle name, it's "DeLisle." You see his mother's side of the family descended from the French voyagers who came with Cadillac in 1701 to found Detroit. In fact, Mike was a descendant of Francois Bienvenu "dit" DeLisle, who served as Cadillac's lieutenant, and who was also Detroit's first tavern keeper. Many other familiar old French family names can be found in Mike's heritage, such as St. Aubin, Livernois, Riopelle and Campau (Campeau). Mike was truly a native son of Detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip... forgive me for asking, but with that name couldn't help but wonder if... any relation to the Downriver "Leg cramp on the accelorator pedal - 4 children drown in Detroit River" DeLisle?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took me a few to remember that very unfortunate incident. I have no idea if there is a relation. The 4 or 5 children of that family perished when the father drove the car into the Detroit River. I would guess it was in about 1989. A very sad situation.
LAWRENCE JOHN DELISLE
Life 5 counts of First Degree Murder
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 210762

The DeLisle name also is attached to:
Ann.. radio personality
Tom.. TV Producer

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A facsinating story about Father Lyons!

Here is an Aug. 1970 photo of Tom DeLisle, from when he was writing for the Detroit Free Press:

delisle

The last I heard, Tom was seriously ill - anyone have newer info on how he is doing?

(Message edited by Mikeg on April 01, 2007)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 509
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip... forgive me for asking, but with that name couldn't help but wonder if... any relation to the Downriver "Leg cramp on the accelorator pedal - 4 children drown in Detroit River" DeLisle?

______________________________ ___________________

Such a Sad tale of the demise of a family on one day...

If Larry was guilty of the crimes, and the courts said such, I hope Larry feels the pain in his his soul until he meets God...

As a father whose daughter no longer answers my calls, I HATE so called "fathers" who either ignore thier children or would, God forbid, do them harm.

I am beyond wishing said "dads" harm, as a Catholic it goes against my faith, but I have NO SYMPATHY for such J@#kA$$es...

If baby-daddy males won't tack care of thier children, be man enough to let good men like myself raise these poor children as MY OWN...

I, like my Patron-Saint, St. Joseph, am willing to raise a child not biologicaly of my own.

Allright, I'm getting off my soapbox now...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.