Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Broderick Tower « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was curious when the cornices were removed from the Broderick Tower? And did the owner go with the lowest bidder when it came to remodeling? It looks like cinder block up there. And don't get me started on the whale. That poor building has been bastardized.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esp,

Back in the mid 20th century a lot of downtown buildings were "upgraded" to remove a lot of their "gingerbread" ornamentation. The David Whitney Building, the United Artists Building, the Michigan Mutual Building (tallest on W. Adams), and the Broderick Tower were among them. Now I cannot say for sure that these buildings lost their cornices in the 1950's (when that 82 year old lady was killed by falling cornice debris, and the City told all building owners to remove or secure their cornices)... or if it happened during an earlier modernization.

These 4 buildings all had a lot of changes made to their outside appearance, and may have lost their cornice earlier than the 50's.

In the case of the Broderick, not only was the cornice removed from the top, but also the "Chippendale headboard" style embellishments that topped off the building, just above the cornice line. In any case the buildings appearance has suffered ever since, with or without the mural.

The Michigan Mutual Building (formerly Stroh's HQ) lost its' 4 pinnacled corner "pavilions" on top, that were in a Beaux Arts style. Each of them looked like a wedding cake.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1958 was the year when much of it crumbled down. State Senator Blondy was almost hit by a cornice at his campaign headquarters. This also was when the B-C had its ginger bread removed.

4/15/77
A big chunk of cement from the corner of the decaying David Broderick Towers'15 th floor fell to the ground spraying fragments of concrete and bouncing back into the windows of a nearby Fried Chick Restaurant.
The top cornices were removed almost 20 years earlier.

(Message edited by PSIP on April 01, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep has photos of Opening Day action in Tuesday's paper and there's one of the part-owner of the Broderick standing on top of his building. My guess is he didn't go up for a breather after a hard day of finally REHABBING THAT FRICKIN' BUILDING!

Oh well, at least the whales are back out and frolicking on the side... ... FOR NOW!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was excited to go in the Broderick on opening day. I wonder if they had a legal occupancy for that bar....it opened quick. I wanted to find my way to a staircase and go to the top. one day...

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That picture of the owner looking out from the roof was awesome...what a view!!

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where did you all see these pictures?

Gistok

Post Number: 4044
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Michael Higgins up on the roof???

Did any Forumers yell "JUMP"!! :-)

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 763
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was in the Freep today in the Opening Day section. His name is Jeff Taylor of Gross Pointe Park. Says he is part owner. I said what an asshole. Why doesn't he rehab it so more people can enjoy the view.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where did you all see these pictures?

It's on page 5T on the bottom right. It's in the Opening Day wraparound section.

Gistok

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adamjab19.... how do you know he is an Asshole?

For many years this building was solely owned by slumlord Michael Higgins, who couldn't afford to fix it up.

Maybe this guy is now one of Higgin's new (in the last year?) investment partners... so that it can finally be fixed up, as the KraemerDesignGroup pics show.

If that's the case, then you certainly shouldn't begrudge him!

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right. I don't know. Knee JERK reaction that is all. If he is in the business of fixing up the building for real, then I take my comment back.

Gistok

Post Number: 4052
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly don't begrudge you for being frustrated with that building... we all are! :-)

We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed...

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like you can see the whales on the BT in the picture above (there is a tower crane just to the right of it). Am I wrong?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 650
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching channel 10 last night and they are submitting their plan next week to CC and "hope to start construction soon." Higgins is the major investor with several other local investors. Their latest plans are 3-4 retail spaces, 4 floors of offices and the remainder will be approx 175 apts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.