Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Woodbridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sehender1
Username: Sehender1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. My wife and I owned a house in Woodbridge in the late 1990s; we sold in late 1995 and moved away. This year, we're moving back to Detroit from Baltimore and will be looking (probably late in late summer or fall) for another house.

We adored Woodbridge when we lived there, and might resettle there if we can find the right house for the right price, etc. We'd be looking for something quite large - 3500+ sq. ft, if possible.

I found this forum through google and thought it was probably worth a shot to post here.

Any info on the area and its real estate possibilities?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11449
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feel free to email me at supersport350 at hotmail. I live in Woodbridge, been here over 2.5 years now. There are only a few properties up for sale at the moment, though I think there may be a few others that may be close to being listed privately. I'll help ya the best I can. We just had an older couple move in that were on a mission in Brazil for many years, lived in Highland Park back in the day, doing missionary work. As I'm sure you know, Woodbridge draws a very diverse group of people, which is what makes it so appealing.

Hope you return soon!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 733
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there honestly 3500 s.f. homes in the Woodbridge neighborhood? The only way that I can see that in the City of Detroit is in one of the mansion neighborhoods, or perhaps if you count a duplex as one house. Seems more inline with a suburban size home.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for 3,500 square feet, you're best off looking in either Indian Village, Virginia Park or Boston-Edison, though I can't recommend the latter. There are many lovely - and huge - homes in B-E, but from someone who just closed on a house today and spent almost five months looking, I can tell you that I have major reservations about that neighborhood. Many of the owners are elderly, and the market is already saturated with homes in the neighborhood. Once they die, you're gonna have a LOT of empty homes.
There are other options, like Hubbard Farms, where the homes are around 2,500 square feet and the neighborhood is much more stable.
Glad to hear you want to come back to the D and not its suburbs, though!
I can share other info I found in my recent home search if you want.

Sehender1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul:
Not sure whether there are homes of that size there. Our old house was much closer to about 2500, I think, but I recall there being larger houses on our block, some much larger.

Rhymes: We're definitely looking in Indian Village, etc., as well, and probably primarily because of what we're looking for. Still, as I said, we really loved Woodbridge when we lived there, and I'd like to include it in our search on the off-chance that something we really like might be available when we're ready to buy.
Boston-Edison is where my mom's best friends still live, and I've heard pretty explicitly about the problems they're having. Still, if we found the right place there, we'd probably jump on it. It would have to be really, really right, though!

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Woodbridge was originally settled big homes were built mostly on the corners, later on smaller homes and duplexes filled in the blocks.
There are two +3500 sq/ft homes on my block in Woodbridge, I would agree though that they are not as common as 2500 sq/ft homes, and a lot of real estate changes hands without entering the market.
Woodbridge is a great neighborhood, especially if you have kids (I am assuming since you need 3500 sq/ft.)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes: We're definitely looking in Indian Village, etc., as well, and probably primarily because of what we're looking for. Still, as I said, we really loved Woodbridge when we lived there, and I'd like to include it in our search on the off-chance that something we really like might be available when we're ready to buy.
Boston-Edison is where my mom's best friends still live, and I've heard pretty explicitly about the problems they're having. Still, if we found the right place there, we'd probably jump on it. It would have to be really, really right, though!

There is a simply gorgeous home (at least on the outside) right on the corner of the Lodge service drive and Chicago Blvd.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to admit that I love where I live...but Palmer Woods or Sherwood Forrest are amazingly beautiful. But for an urban environment I would go with Woodbridge or Corktown - a friend of mine recently bought in Hubbard Farms and she loves it there.

New2theeastside
Username: New2theeastside

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Berry and there is a great foreclosure in the neighborhood on Lodge. It is listed for a good price (292K)and is the size you are looking for.

612 Lodge. Can't beat the location: 2 parks with river access, great views of the fireworks, and boat races. Also, DPD is always around so there aren't many mishaps.

(Message edited by new2theeastside on April 02, 2007)

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in a 2500 sq/ft house in Woodbridge and it's too damn big. I recommend a ranch(not that there are too many around Woodbridge). That way you don't need 40 ft ladder to work on it.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would go with Woodbridge or Corktown - a friend of mine recently bought in Hubbard Farms and she loves it there.

I, too, just bought in Hubbard Farms. Well, it hasn't closed yet, but it's getting there. I looked in Corktown, and there are two houses through O'Connor Realty, which I highly recommend. You can see them on its Web site, www.oconnordetroit.com. My agent was Lauren Bruyninga, and she was great to work with. Highly recommended.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shoulda mentioned: No houses in Corktown come anywhere close to 3,500 square feet unless you buy an entire row of row homes. :-)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

www.oconnordetroit.com. My agent was Lauren Bruyninga, and she was great to work with. Highly recommended.

I am working with Ryan from O'Conner on something right now, and can only say the same :-)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 03, 2007)

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My roommate and I are eyeing a 4,000 sq ft beauty on Longfellow in B-E. The place is breathtaking but it needs a complete overhaul and as RhymesWithRawk mentioned I too have some reservations about the surrounding area.

We checked out Green Acres/Sherwood & N. Rosedale area but I think we've ruled them out because when we move to the city we'd prefer to be closer to downtown. We will probably end up in B-E but I think we'll have to make a drive to Woodbridge after Easter to check it out. I've only seen it in pictures but if it's even half as amazing as B-E then it's probably worth checking into. I'm open to all suggestions though! We've been looking for the past 5-6 months and we still have about a year before we have to move from our current place.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's happening in B-E? I can't imagine things going too far downhill there with its location and housing stock.

Would B-E be a good place for investment buying?

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my humble opinion, YES!

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 950
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sehender1, if you're looking in Indian Village, then don't forget to check out West Village as well. There are some great large homes up for sale on Van Dyke Place and and Parker that might fit your criteria.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, Boston-Edison, like many of the more stable neighborhood in Detroit with larger homes, is being forced to deal with problems caused by the current mortgage foreclosure and subprime lending situation. Foreclosures have led to a spate of vacant homes in B-E and other neighborhoods. The subprime lending market has resulted in buyers who have "upgraded" to a home purchase in B-E who are stretched too thin to afford the upkeep of a large old home. It doesn't take long for deterioration to become visually apparent. The neighborhood association is strong there, and I'm sure that they are doing their best to help address the problems.

Saintme, good luck with your search.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Brush Park??

Sehender1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog:
Thanks for the info. My wife and I lived in Indian Village as a young married couple, as renters in the Parkstone, before buying in Woodbridge.
I've seen some of the places for sale in West Village, including this one: http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp

Seems like a wonderful place, but my (now dated) knowledge of Detroit real estate suggests this is probably rather badly overpriced. Don't know, will have to investigate!

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 951
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sehender1, I can't follow the link. Can you post another?

Sehender1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry - that site won't let me link to the specific listing.
Try this one:

http://www.realtor.com/FindHom e/HomeListing.asp?snum=8&frm=b ymap&nearbyZp=&lid=Enter+MLS+I D&pgnum=1&ss_aywr=&st=MI&mls=x mls&mnbed=0&js=on&mnsqft=3500& fid=so&vtsort=&poe=realtor&mnp rice=550000&ct=Detroit&zp=&pri maryZp=&mxprice=600000&typ=1&t yp=2&typ=4&exft=0&exft=0&exft= 0&exft=0&mnbath=0&areaid=2959& sid=0851AA168AC1C&snumxlid=107 8401565&lnksrc=00002

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.realtor.com/FindHom e/HomeListing.asp?snum=29&frm= bymap&nearbyZp=&lid=Enter+MLS+ ID&pgnum=3&ss_aywr=&st=MI&mls= xmls&mnbed=0&js=on&mnsqft=3500 &fid=so&vtsort=&poe=realtor&mn price=0&ct=detroit&zp=&primary Zp=&mxprice=99999999&typ=1&typ =2&typ=4&exft=0&exft=0&exft=0& exft=0&mnbath=0&areaid=2959&si d=08521006AB8DC&snumxlid=10780 99062&lnksrc=00002

This might work.

Sehender1

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lombaowski:
Yeah, been there, done that. Our house out east was a disaster of the capital D sort when we bought it. Six years later, it's 3/4 done and gorgeous, but we're not down for another life-consuming project... no way!

So, am I right that the house I linked above is probably pretty dramatically over-priced? Or have home values in West Village really reached those heights?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's pretty overpriced for the area sehender. altho the current owners pretty much rebuilt the place from the ground up. it also is the historic julius t. melchers house: http://www.aiami.com/Chapters/ Detroit/awards/design/2006_det roit_design_awards.htm it was restored by doug mcintosh (RIP), has won several awards, is featured in several magazines, and architectural books about detroit.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That home was featured in Detroit Home magazine a few months back, right?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are looking for a good deal on a beautiful W. Village home, than this one has to take the cake...

1087 Parker

Sehender1

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch: You're right. Great deal, very nice house.

It's a little small for what we'll be looking for, though. Our house in Baltimore is about 5,000 sq. ft... my wife would like something a bit smaller; I could go a bit bigger, frankly. But I think 3400 would not be enough.

Of course, if our Baltimore house doesn't sell for enough or sits on the market forever, we could be in a whole different mindset! :-)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sehender --

It is actually closer 3,900 SF.

I hear they are about to drop the price as well.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Julius Melchers House

The Melchers house is worth every penny IMO. An unbelievable house painstakingly restored to perfection. You'd be hard-pressed to find a house in Detroit more beautifully restored. I've seen it firsthand, inside and out. I've heard that the antique tile in the dining room fireplace alone is priceless and dates back to the Renaissance (and I'm not talking about Detroit's renaissance), the entrance to the brand new carriage house was recovered from a demolished Gross Point home, it has $70k in landscaping alone including a Coi pond and fountain in the backyard, plus it's 5,500 sq. ft.

The drawback is anyone who buys the Melchers house should plan to stay in it for a long time. It is rather overdone for the neighborhood (which I must say is improving along slowly but nicely).

Oh, and you'd be my neighbor. Of course in 1910 or so I would have been your butler or maybe washed your horses. My home is nearby but VERY modest in comparison. Oh the joys of diversity. :-)

(Message edited by eastsidedog on April 04, 2007)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Indian Village as well. (Ok, it sounds like you're already looking there too.) But 3500-4000 square feet is pretty much the average house size in the neighborhood, so you have a lot of choices in the range you're looking for.

I think a number of people on this thread are selling their own neighborhood, myself included. :-)

Also, this year is probably a good time to get a good deal in these neighborhoods, with this current wave of foreclosures going on (which will not last forever, now that subprime lending standards are finally tightening).

Raydog
Username: Raydog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I have a 3500 sf house in Woodbridge that we're thinking of selling in the near future. If your interested our e-mail is siouxray@sbcglobal.net
We may also know of other houses that might be available, but not on the market
If you happen to be in the city on April 14, we are having a neighborhood "SpringFest" e-mail for further details.

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you have your heart set on another historic single family home, but have you considered one of the new luxury condo developments going up in and around the central business district. You're interest 3,500 square feet would give you the buying power to customize a spectacular residence at the Book Cadillac, Griswold or Watermark.

Jallen
Username: Jallen

Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a thread for houses for sale (with pictures) located in southwest Detroit's hubbard farms neighborhood @ hubbardfarms.informe.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.