Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Help resurrect the music on WDET « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kickinit
Username: Kickinit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shocked and dismayed when I heard WDET's new programming schedule. Really, the music I ingested on DET had become the soundtrack to a good part of my days. Without an independent voice on Detroit radio, playing intelligent and unique music, people have one more reason to give up on this area. God knows we don't need that. If you believe in the importance of independent music and independent radio, please do what you can.

Pledge conditionally to WDET, the condition being the reinstatement of music programming.

Write a letter to WDET:
WDET 101.9FM Detroit
4600 Cass Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201

Organize... http://groups.myspace.com/save WDET

thanks,
Dan

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4912
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've already consented to pledging again under the conditions that they bring back the free form music format that made WDET an icon amongst other NPR stations. Let's not let Detroit radio fall into the hands of corporate playlists and boring formats!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8873
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for this, write a letter and send it in before their pledge drive, and they'll have a number to compare their phone drive figures with...just don't be surprised if it ends up being 101.9-2 on your HD Radio dial.

You might end up eligible for one of their radio giveaways, though. (I'm making this all up, adding trends from other radio switchovers and details from the iBiquity website)

Perhaps some music will filter through to the Detroit show in the middle of the day, I can imagine some live music then...and on Love's show...but we've GOT to get music back on overnight.

I would specifically give $100 annually to keep Liz on overnight, $50 each for original analog and HD digital signals so they play her on both.

My bet is they won't because so far HD doesn't sound as good...with either music OR talk, but you notice it a whole lot less with the limited voice frequencies.

The BBC was OK the first overnight (last night) until that woman went on and on about her humbling visit to the dentist! WTF? We're happy you found some authority you could get along with!! I couldn't draw out a topic ad nauseum any further...not even with ErikD's help after a night of drinking.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm so pissed they cut off two hours of ed love and put that terrible "war and peace report" show on in the evening. As much as i appreciate the angle that show covers, I can't stand actually listening to it.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 03, 2007)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if you like the new format???

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then pay up.

If you don't like it go somewhere else.

There is a ton of good music out there via internet radio and Ipod podcasting choices. I gave up on WDET a long time ago when they cut music during the day. I bought an Ipod and now I listen to other NPR stations that offer podcasts of their shows, such as KCRW and KEXP, who still offer independent, non mainstream music.

If your looking for local music via the radio then the loss of WDET definetly sucks but there was very little to begin with.

(Message edited by stecks77 on April 03, 2007)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last Sunday I was out working in the garden and I kept feeling I was missing something and then it hit me!............JOHN PENNY!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at least we still have 95.5 and wrif for music.......

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What really bummed me out was the way that they rail- roaded John Moshier. He was the Librarian and he had a two-hour show on Saturday night. At one time he was the over-night Saturday jock and hosted that nostalgia radio show. They gave him a live show on Saturday night. Then they cancelled it making him lose his seniority. It was nothing but jealousy as far as I am concerned. I will never contribute to them again because of this. John Moshier is the shizzz. He is extremely knowledgeable about music as well as he is a very talented musician. He was one of their greatest assets, and they treated him very unjustly. Their payback is that now the station sucks.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on April 03, 2007)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4917
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the great injustice and shame there! WDET had all of these immensely learned people in all forms of music and they were all shown the door. Not only was it John Moshier, but think about all of the others as well... John Penney, Judy Adams, Martin Bandyke, Liz Copeland, Chuck Horne, Willie Wilson, etc..

I'm not saying one has to like everything each and every of these people played but at least they introduced you to some new musical horizons at times.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are absolutely right, Smogboy. They were the only station that I listened to. Now, I am forced to listen to Tom Leikes (LOL).

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion, WDET continues to head in a more conservative (older) direction when it comes to their target demographic. Maybe they think its a good idea for the vitality of the station but when I was a teenager I was introduced to WDET via their music shows and then I began to appreciate the news coverage. Because of this I'll be a life long NPR supporter but WDET has lost its way and I'd rather support other NPR affiliate's that have a majority of programming that I enjoy.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have moved over to WUOM now for my NPR fix. As I have stated before I can't stand listening to Amy Miller in the morning. I occasionally tune in to see if they have fired her yet. But alas she is trying to change her voice to make it more appealing, but it is still annoying, she is still mispronouncing words all the time, and studdering when she reads the news. Pledge to WUOM or WRCJ for music.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont listen to WDET at all anymore.
It just simply sucks.
If I want that much news I'll watch PBS.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With today's fragmented radio audiences, there's no way to please any particular group--regardless of how long and loudly they piss, moan, and whine.

Hell, I would love to relive the AM radio scene again, and I worked in AM (and FM/TV) broadcasting a dozen years in the middle to the end of that era. But again, there were no computers save for expensive, bulky mainframes which only a special few (including me) knew how to operate. FM radio was virtually totally dead ad revenue-wise until the very late 1960s to mid 1970s, depending upon the market. By the mid 1970s, AM radio became the FM radio of the previous decade--few listeners in general and a lot of brokered religion and ethnic programming...

Most people living today have absolutely no actual experience with real AM radio (history). A popular DJ could ask for requests, especially if any prize were involved, and that entire telephone exchange of the station's (all 10,000 numbers) would lit up and be almost totally unusable for an hour or longer.

Today, who cares? The listeners are spread so thinly and there are so many competing distractions to any mode of commercial or noncommercial radio/TV that even if they acted en masse, they would have but little impact today.

Today's broadcasters have to target the market very carefully so that they have enough revenue to run their stations. It's easy for them to miscalculate and go broke, and then some other suckers come along and they will do it all over again.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 03, 2007)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do a really good Ed Love voice impression.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to respect Ed Love for his knowledge of jazz history and being an icon, but his choice of music has gotten very stale. He plays the same kind of sax based big band music all the time. I love the jazz music played on WRCJ much better, and their live broadcasts of performances from Music Hall are wonderful.

Now if they are ever going to be taken seriously as a news station, they need to give the morning news to someone much more credible and capable than Amy Miller. We have something new at Metro Airport called "Northwest Airlanes." Of course the story before that she was talking about the proposed raising of the gas tax, but if you're a professional newscaster, you do not make those kind of mistakes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.