Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Opening Day, 2007: A Detroit Tradition « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect weather, huge crowds, good vibes downtown- what did you do on Detroit's unofficial holiday?

A photo essay, from the old park to the new:

http://www.walkerville.com/tig ers/

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was excited to go into the bar in the Broderick I have never been in the Broderick. I wonder if there was any legal occupancy though because it smelled funny in there. They were bringing in beer into a side door and I saw the elevators in there and I was so tempted to ask if I could go in and try to go to the top. I did not want the crazy looks I knew I would get. Anyway downtown looked good and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves....I stayed down for a few hours and enjoyed it! I then went to Belle Isle to unwind

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you look up to the ceiling in the elevator lobby? It's lovely!!!

A couple years ago, my son's band played a gig in the basement there, and so I snooped around a bit and took a couple photos.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no they were bringing beer in there and looked like they were stacking it up in there. It was sad to see what that lobby has been reduced to. A dark dank beer storage room.

(Message edited by fareastsider on April 03, 2007)

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this was my 8th opening day at comerica. at tiger stadium i made it from 1973 through 1987, then 1994 through 1999. grand total of 29.

my son and i got downtown about 8:30 am and parked at eastern market. we has breakfast at the woodward coney island, a coke (me) and beer (him) at the old sheillegh (sp?), walked over to tiger stadium and nemo's (which was not open yet), then back to woodward (chase tower) to where i once worked, starting in 1965.

we then got to the ballpark area about 11:00 am and entered by noon for the pennant raising ceremony.

(Message edited by goirish1966 on April 03, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like this 'opening day' essay a heck of a lot better than the other one that was posted here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.