Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Neal Shine- ex-Freep publisher passes away « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4916
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw that Neal Shine passed away. How sad. I know he was a sort of controversial figure when it comes to things like the JOA but I still remember what a cordial man he was when I met him during a high school tour of the Free Press. He seemed like a genuine sort of guy to me and actually took time out of his day to talk to us youngsters.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was sorry that he ended his career as a scab-meister. It was a sorry end to an otherwise distinguished journalist.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil is a good man.

This is terrible news.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://hof.jrn.msu.edu/bios/sh ine.html

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conscience? oh yikes.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a bummer. He was my journalism professor at WSU in the late 70s. He made us tow the line in there and I loved it! I never, ever missed his class. When the new department head screwed up my internship, and he tried to intervene on my behalf. A great teacher and an advocate of young writers. I, for one, will totally miss him.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard this news from a coworker who knew I enjoyed Neal Shine's columns, especially those where he spoke of his family heritage and memories of his youth and Detroit. Neal attended St. Rose High School ('48) as did his wife Phyllis ('50); my parents ('51) knew them both and considered them friends that they saw throughout the years. It is a sad day indeed....

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Neil a good number of years ago. A wonderful human being, and as Kathleen states , a great journalist, as well as an excellent speaker. Boy, could he entertain and captivate an audience telling about his experiences growing up in Detroit. He could make you laugh and cry during the same speech.

And what a sense of humor. I recall many moons ago sitting with him up in the Savoyard Club one winter evening, throwing out trivia at each other.
He asked me, point blank, "You ever met my pal, Plug Ugly"?
I said I had not heard of him,and figured it was the nickname of one of his St. Rose's classmates. To Neil's delight, he took great satisfaction in telling me that was the name of General William's horse on Belle Isle. I've never forgotten it.
The City of Detroit, the Free Press, and his many,many friends have lost a true legend.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock. Here you go to the Dossin Museum for 30 yrs. and didn't know Plug Ugly. jjaba will use it on a trivia contest sometime. Thanks Rock.

St. Rose's? Must be Eastside because even Jews know Westside parishes. jjaba's is St. Brigit's.

jjaba.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friends bought his mother's old house on Wayburn in GPP. He would stop by fairly regularly to see the house and how things were going. Met him once when he did a stopover, seemed like a very caring man.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neal Shine was bona fide Eastside.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9341
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez oldredfordette, I hope people can think of such nice things about you when you pass away.
It was really nice of you to speak ill of the dead. I guess your commie bullshit knows no bounds.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Goat. Perhaps you didn't have to witness the betrayal and anguish of his old friends and employees after he fired them. People whose lives were never the same. Some people talk and some people walk. The shell of a newspaper stands as testament to Neil Shine. Whenever anybody on this forum raises justified complaints as to the crap the Free Press prints, think of nice old grandfatherly Neil.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,

Please delete Oldredfordette's posts from this tribute page. Thank you. Kath

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, do you know the Mann's on Wayburn?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Shine and his wife have been together since they were 14 years old. Phyllis is such a sweet person and Mr. Shine was only 76. Everyone was at the hospital when they decided to turn the respirator off. So sad, but so good that the whole family was there.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the hard-core unionists like the old one above, Neal Shine betrayed them when he went over to the "dark side" of management. Nothing he could have done after that would have ever found favor with them. They are so infused with the worker vs. management, class warfare rhetoric that they will spit on the grave of anyone who "switched sides".

Neal Shine, RIP - and my condolences to his family.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, etc.,

Some of Neal Shine's most devoted Free Press fans and acolytes speak of their ambivalence over his decision to return to the paper and stay there during the strike, considering everything he stood for over the years.

The turbulent strike years and the effect his decision had on old friends is mentioned in freep.com's online obit by Joe Swickard, and I will bet you any amount of money that it will be mentioned in their long-form obit that runs tomorrow. It's part of Shine's story, and as a newsman he would not want his story censored.

Pffft

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Mikeg but there are not only many management-worker friendships there but indeed, many marriages. Happy ones, too!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course not, Pffft.

Maybe a new thread where everyone who wants to can give their opinion of the turbulent strike years, etc.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why not?

I restrained myself from repeating the old saw: You should only say good of the dead...

Mikeg

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neal Shine was a Free Press editor at the time of the 1967 riots. The story goes that at one point, Shine "commandeered" a National Guard armored personnel carrier and persuaded the Guardsmen to drive over to the Detroit News building. As the vehicle pulled up outside the News headquarters, Shine grabbed a hand-held loudspeaker and "demanded" that all of the Detroit News reporters come out and surrender!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Neal twice when I was a student at MSU, long after he had retired for good. One of my professors was a former Freep reporter, and she introduced us. I was in awe. About six or seven months later at an award ceremony, Neal came up to me, kinda squinted for a second and goes, "Dan, right?" Unbelievable. I was on cloud nine.
I'm in the union, and what happened was a tragedy, but you cannot blame Neal Shine for what happened. That's just pure uber-union-forever bullschitt.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep has posted a handful of Neal's columns with his reminiscences. You might enjoy reading them...

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/99999999/NEWS05/ 70403015&template=theme&theme= NEALSHINE042007

Jjaba

Post Number: 5162
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba would never talk ill of the dead, RIP.

However, this is a thread about a man and discussions about him.

So in general, then remember that there are members here who will never ever forgive anybody who crosses a picket line. It is in some hearts that there is nothing lower than a scab. Such sentiments brook no demeaning.

jjaba.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I will go on record as saying that the Freep has gone totally and completely overboard in its fawning praise and coverage of his passing. He dominates the front and the op-ed pages, and no less than four (4) columnists have weighed in.

Newspapers far and wide are routinely guilty of this kind of thing. When a new publisher is hired or an old one retires, they plaster it all over the front page. Who outside of industry wonks cares?

I work in the news business. I'm sure Shine was a swell guy. But come on.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4919
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much coverage is enough or not enough then? I think part of the coverage about Neal Shine is obviously deserved because he was more than just a publisher, he was a fixture for so many years in the Detroit area.

As far as the columnists go, he obviously had an impact upon them so THEY chose to write about him. I'm sure the hullabaloo will fade after a bit but the flipside of the coin is that sometimes newspapers also get criticized for not having enough coverage about a certain story.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the reminiscences in this column Remembering Neal Shine reflect why there is such an outpouring of love and respect by the community and by the Free Press company and staff. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070404/NEW S06/704040398

I am the daughter of a couple of Neal's high school classmates. He always wanted to know how my parents were whenever I ran into him downtown. He was truly interested in keeping up with classmates and former neighbors and the old neighborhood.....his roots!!! He was a man of the people!!! We won't see another like him for a long time.

And more Tributes to Neal Shine: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070404/NEW S06/704040398

Pffft

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock,

You're right. Obits of news people are given more weight and space.

As for Shine being "blamed" for the strike, Rawk, you don't appear to know a thing. He didn't have to come out of retirement and take part in it. Shine personally signed the letters that threatened and then fired the striking reporters and columnists who loved him. That was something few of them could reconcile with his beliefs or personality.

The_rock

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, your parents probably knew another classmate at St. Rose's, and I am referring to my buddy, Remie Laenen of SCS. Remie was the one whose Liberty ship was torpedoed during WWII, and spent 3 weeks in a life boat. He and Neal worked effortlessly to keep St. Rose's going for as long as it did. St. Rose grads are a very proud bunch, and "times at St. Rose's " were part of Shine's story-telling escapades.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never knew Neal Shine, but he has always been one of my personal Detroit heroes. When my co-worker came into the office this morning, I was sitting at my computer crying over the tributes his friends, colleagues and fans have left on the Freep website. I think Detroit has lost one of its best souls. We will never see his kind again.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, The_rock: I'll mention Remie's name to my mom. Yes, St. Rose was a small school, and everyone knew everybody!! And they do love their St. Rose memories. My parents went to every St. Rose reunion until my dad's passing 5 years ago, and mom still goes to the reunions herself!!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neal Shine's phone call last week to Rochelle Riley, as detailed in her column today in the Freep, tells you all you need to know about Neal Shine. Whether one agreed with him or not, he made a difference.
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070404/COL10/7 04040334/1068/OPINION

Jjaba

Post Number: 5168
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly where is St. Rose and when did it go under? Low enrollment? Who was St. Rose? Irish?

jjaba.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did make a difference. And he WAS the Detroit Free Press, pretty much body and soul. But to close your eyes, plug your ears and shout la-la-la regarding those with opinions that don't glow about the man, well, that's some shallow bullshit.

If someone dies, and you didn't like or respect them, should you be prohibited from saying so about them? In an open forum where opinions are supposedly welcome?

And kath, this quote: "Lowell,
Please delete Oldredfordette's posts from this tribute page. Thank you. Kath" is really disturbing.

You go cry to the moderator when you don't like what someone writes? And your suggestion is to censor that person?

Gross.

I also didn't know this was a "tribute page," I thought it was a thread discussing a news item about someone who died. It might be more to your liking to indicate "This is a Neal Shine Tribute Page. Positive remarks only, please."

Kathleen

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: St. Rose Church and School were located at Beniteau and Kercheval, one block north of Jefferson and 2 blocks west of Conner, not far from the Chrysler E. Jefferson Plant. The Church was razed back in the 80s; the school building and social hall still stand. I don't know if they are currently in use.

The_rock

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, my trusty St. Joseph Daily Missal, circa 1950,tells us that St. Rose of Lima was born in Peru and is the first American Saint, received the habit of the Third Order of St. Dominic, led a life of mortification and penance and died at age 31 in 1617.
Now if that,s after whom St. Rose's is named, I will have Church scholars, more versed than I, fill you in. My answer is an educated guess and I say that's the one.
Next time you are around, we will wheel over to Beniteau and Kercheval. Hitting the East side when you are in town is always a religious experience.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't the paper's owners call the shots in a strike situation? Doesn't the publisher just execute their will?

"Hitting the East side when you are in town is always a religious experience."

I savvy, there, Rock. And anywhere near the water is downright mystical.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember Charlie Haun?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southofeight:

So, are you telling me what I should say or not say?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 858
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil and his family are parishioners at St. Ambrose and friends of our family. I saw him just 3 or 4 weeks ago at mass.

Once he gets through with all of the fare-thee-well activities required at this juncture, I am sure that he and my father will be sharing lascivious limericks in the great beyond.

God Bless that great man and his family.

Pffft

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sentence jumped out at me in today's coverage in the Freep: "Shine will lie in state at St. Ambrose Catholic Church" ...etc.

No matter how loved an editor he was, he lies "in repose."

To lie "in state" indicates a government honor, with honor guards, etc. Can't believe that got by the copy editors.

Mikeg

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pfft, where did you come up with that definition?

"lie in state" definitions:
a) to place a person's body where it can be seen by the public [source]
b) a dead body ceremoniously exposed to public view before being interred; This usage, dating from about 1700, is generally confined to important public figures [source]

Example:
Parks will lie in state in capital

Southofeight

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you seem to have that covered perfectly.

Southofeight

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper: Is he the photographer? And is he related to Eddie Haun, a long-time photog at the News? I know Noel's kids, but never met Charlie, if in fact, it's the same bloodline.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that "in repose" is better for Shine.
Parks, who received the Congressional Medal of Honor, did lie "in state" in the capital.

However, my funeral home friends think of everyone as "in state" in the funeral home.

But the Irish way would be the most appropriate for Shine: "His wake will begin at such and such a time."
Irish people have wakes and we go to wakes.

Pffft

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosa Parks was granted the honor of lying "in state" by "the government," duh.

That's the definition of lying in state.

A body lying out in a funeral home for anyone to come in and pay respects to, that is not lying "in state."

Mc5rules
Username: Mc5rules

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft is right...and there were stories at the time that made a big deal of the fact that she was granted that honor. A fact that would have been abundantly clear if you had read the article you linked to, mikeg.

There's more detail here, if you care:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L ying_in_state

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wrote an article about my Irish immigrant grandparents about 20 years ago that I plan on keeping forever. He was a good man.

Mikeg

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you had actually read the entire DetNews article, you would have also come across these usages:

Plans call for Parks to lie in state Saturday at her former church in Montgomery, St. Paul AME.... Parks' funeral is set for Detroit. Her body will lie in state from 9 p.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Wednesday at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit.

Whether you like it or not, this idiom is being used to describe any public viewing of a deceased person, regardless of the location, and it is not being limited to those who were royalty, government officials or those who have been previously honored by the government.
Theatre boss to stage own funeral
Godfather Of Soul To Lie In State At Apollo

Mc5rules
Username: Mc5rules

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, just because you can find examples of people using it wrong doesn't mean you're proving your point. In the United States it requires an act of Congress for it to be "lying in state." And TECHNICALLY Parks didn't lie in state, she was lain "in honor," which is a designation that was created after that nutjob killed those two Capitol police. The regulation limited lying "in state" to presidents, military commanders and members of congress, so the "in honor" designation was created.

The fact is is a specific term that has a specific meaning -- a meaning that was spelled out in the story you linked. They talked about John Conyers and Carolyn Kilpatrick pushing for her to receive that honor. Here is a list of everyone who has lain "in state" or "in honor" in U.S. history. It's a pretty short list.
http://www.aoc.gov/cc/capitol/ lain_in_state.cfm

It might not matter to you, but I imagine Pffft's point is that the copy editors at the Freep SHOULD KNOW BETTER. Knowing the precisely correct word is their job...

(Message edited by mc5rules on April 05, 2007)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares? Mr. Shine's funeral/rememberance will be a loving tribute to a good man.

How it is described is not important. (except to those who only care about dotted 'i's' and crossed 't's'.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't he on Find A Grave, yet? Any word on where he is to be buried?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock: I mentioned Remie Laenen to Mom yesterday when we got together for Easter dinner. Yes, she and my late father knew Remie.

Mom mentioned that Remie is one of the upcoming speakers for the WWII program at the Macomb Cultural Center. Neal had planned to introduce him:

A Soldier's Story: Liberty Ship Survivor, Apr. 22 (Sun.) 1 pm. Retired publisher of the Detroit Free Press Neal Shine introduces Ray Laenen, who recounts his experiences serving aboard the SS Peter Sylvester, and the harrowing 22 days spent adrift in a small lifeboat in the Indian Ocean.

The_rock

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remie has presented his very moving and emotional story on different occasions at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial as well as to other groups. And the story is also told in a publication written by Joseph Mazzara titled "Liberty Ship Survivor".Shine endorsed the book on the back cover.
Neal and Remie were very close, and I know that Remie will miss his dear, long-time friend.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can honor Neal's memory with a virtual flower and a note on Find A Grave here:http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=188968 59

Kathleen

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Eastsidedame!! Had a problem with that link, but a search now turns up 2 Find-a-Grave pages. The first one notes that he was buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Shine& GSfn=Neal&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel= all&GSob=n&GRid=18903379&

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Shine& GSfn=Neal&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel= all&GSob=n&GRid=18844811&

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen: The author of the first link had his post pulled because F.A.G. thought it sounded "copied from another source". He wrote another one that's being reviewed.

The author also wrote to me and confirmed the Mt. Olivet location, though I don't know how he knows that.

Neal is not in the "famous" section, curiously enough...F.A.G. has stringent criteria for their "gold star" i.e. "famous" status, some of which is pretty subjective, I think. A lot of people we think are famous here in Detroit are not considered as such in Find-A-Grave.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Kessler's posting on Neal is up again:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi- bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=189033 79

I think this is a more comprehensive and informative posting. The other one has no birthdate and looks like it was copied verbatim from his obituary.

I also noticed that the New York Times' obit spelled his name as "Neil"!

Geez, yet another reason the NY Times sucks!

Pffft

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New York Times sucks?

Oh good grief, that is the dumbest thing I've read all day on this site.

Life will somehow go on.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a proven fact! "All the news that's fit to screw up." Neal's obit only echoes that. And your point goes.....pffft!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NY Times is famous for it's misspellings and malapropisms. Somewhere in my mom's apartment was a collection of famous ones, their obit section was notorious.

Hey, maybe it's time for me to leave a "tribute" on the Findagrave thingy.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 871
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EastSideDame,

I made the same spelling error (see above), and he was a friend of ours!

That said, The NYT still sucks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.