Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Favorite neighborhoods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in New York, but have lived in the mid-west and summer in Michigan (leelanau county). I have become obsessed with Detroit over the last year. Lots of very interesting idiosyncrasies about the city that people are not aware of. The neat original street layout, the development of downtown/new center/mid-town areas (similar to Manhattan), even the adversarial relationship with the suburbs is unique and is potentially very cool (the idea that Alter street is BLOCKED on the Grosse Pointe side is really wild. Far more compelling than I think even most Detroiters realize).
I have been considering investing in real estate in town. Primarily near or on the river/lake. I am hoping that a few of you (although I realize it will probably be many of you) have some observations to share. I would love to hear wha t neighborhoods you love and like- and ones you don't. I don't mean because you were born there, I mean because when you are in one of those neighborhoods you realize there is something special about it. I hope asking for your opinions like this is not out of line, and I look forward to hearing what you think. Thanks.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indian Village, Corktown and Southwest Detroit are some neighborhoods near the river. Lots of "deals" in Southwest still.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan and Martin - a long time ago would be better, but this still has something going for it today. Not suitable for kids and delicate adults.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the adversarial relations with the suburbs generally revolves around 8 Mile, and the Alter thing is overblown. There is free access between Detroit and GP Park along most of Alter. Mack, Charlevoix, Vernor, Kercheval, Jefferson each flow between the cities. Only the small sidestreets St. Paul and Korte dead end in GPP before Alter. And bear in mind, both sides of Alter belong to Detroit, so the canal/fence on Windmill Pointe is completely within Detroit, and does not divide two cities. Just thought I'd clear that up.

If I were an investor, I'd be looking at Midtown, trying to buy the last few buildings that need rehab work and could turn out to be profitable apartments, lofts, or trying to purchase vacant lots in prime locations where there will be a demand for building soon. In terms of existing housing, I'd look at West Village on the lower east side (close to the river). Beautiful neighborhood with great growth potential. Good for holding on to something as an investment and/or renting. If you have big money, you can try to get in on some of the upcoming developments on the east riverfront district which is about to take off. Good, steady rental income can come if you purchase and subsequently rent the flats in the homes in western Grosse Pointe Park. If you are ambitious and looking to undertake a residential rehab, Boston-Edison is the place to look to get massive houses at cheap rates.

Welcome to the forum.

Michigan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like the most activity is from eastern market to the river. Boston-edison is really beautiful, but i think it has plateaued. at least for the near future. I would like to ask a question that will expose my ignorance, a lot of homes require buyers to sign an ACR with the city (i think those are the initials). what the heck is that?
I remember in the '80s when NY sold deserted buildings for $1 each, with the covenant that the property would be ready for a CO in 18 months. Is there any thing like that in D?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan, a little off-topic, but you might like this daily blog from Leelanau County.
http://www.lelandreport.com

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5169
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan, welcome to The Forum.
You're in New york, why the handle?

jjaba, curious.

Michigan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray- know it well

Jjaba- because i do love the state. My kids would have us living in Glen Arbor or Leland if they had their way

I live on the water on Long Island, and the beaches here are some of the best in the world. Still, mid and north lower Michigan are nicer.

Michigan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me clarify- Not the beaches themselves, but the area as a whole

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww damn the handle Michigan was available??? I would have thought that would have been snatched up a long time ago.

Michigan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the lesson is- it never hurts to try Mayor.
does anyone know what the ACRs are that need to be signed with the city?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you may be referring to a certificate of occupancy. Below i s a link to Detroit Buildings and Safety
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/bs ed/doc/certofoccupancy.htm

Michigan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the link homer. I looked their, but could not find out what an "ACR" is. I've never seen this before, but several houses for sale require the buyer to sign one with the city prior to purchase.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACR's try this link http://www.cityworksservicing. com/

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ACR and requisite city inspection is something that is handled by the seller, you just have to go to the city to approve of and sign off on it as far as i understand.

something i'm working on requires the same thing

Michigan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the help. I now know what to expect. Seems like the city wants to keep a handle on what is happening to properties.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, i think the city just wants their cut, there is a fee associated with an ACR (what exactly i'm not sure)

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACR = Affidavit of Compliance and Repair.

You have to go down to the Coleman Young building and sign a paper saying that you promise to make the repairs within 6 months. The pre-sale inspection should be given to you before you close on a house which is what you are agreeing to fix on the ACR. Signing the ACR is free, they get their money when you pull permits.

I am not a big fan of the ACR, the requirements do not consider that some of these houses have features that need to be grandfathered in. Such as narrower staircases than are built today.

I actually had a very pleasant experience when I bought my house though. I signed the ACR one day and then came back after closing to make sure everything was on track. It was a terrible closing with a very ornery mortgage company selling the house as a repo. I had to pay in cash IN FULL before the closing. The purpose of the closing table is to pay for real estate, but no, those a$$hats were special.

So I am tired and I am dressed in old work clothes because we were going to lock the house up that afternoon. I talk to a very nice young woman behind the desk and tell her that we are just regular young folks and asked if this inspection and that inspection were really necessary. She goes into the back room and comes out telling me "You dont call us, we don't call you...you're all set, enjoy your new home." So even in the midst of a really crappy day, someone, even in the middle of a bureaucracy can make your day. :-)

So with ACR's, be careful, don't buy anything that has fire or structural damage, the city will own you for years. Buy something ugly but functional if you are looking for sweat equity.

In terms of neighborhoods: I am a big fan of Mich Av. at Lonyo and any of the surrounding streets up until Livernois (closer to Lonyo the more attractive the homes). Mc Graw at Mich. Av. is also lovely. Also the area north of Carpenter between Jos Campau and Conant is a really great area, very close to everything and quite reasonable for nice simple little bungalows.

Michigan

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the every useful info. I'm glad that woman made a difference in your day and look forward to hearing from you again

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.