Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Police to ride DDOT again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/M ETRO/704040401

I can see wanting to keep Federal money in the city, but let's get it done asap. I remember the Grand River bus always being a powder keg. All those high schools never got along well.

Anyone had/witnessed any incidents recently?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 545
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand River is fine. Cass doesn't have to worry (particularly going into downtown) because all the High School yuppies at Northwestern, Murray Wright, Redford, etc. would have been gotten off. However, I'm sure it's horrific going out of downtown.

Only thing about Grand River is that it gets very crowded during the busy times of the day (like most city bus routes) and the timing of this bus can really irritate a person.

Urbanize

Post Number: 546
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Routes that do need Police Presents are the one with the crazy Bus Drivers (there are several).

However, Police Presents would help make people feel much safer.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Rosedaleken, I have. While on my way in to work yesterday, I was driving along side a SEMTA bus going north on Woodward. At 9 mile road the bus driver began sounding the horn and flashing the interior lights on and off. The bus came to quick halt and three young punks with book bags ran off west on 9 mile. I could see inside the bus, and the passengers looked a bit rattled. I don’t know what they did in there, but they sure didn’t stick around for the heat to show up. Maybe we need to arm the bus drivers and put them in a locked cabin with a “Bus Marshal” on board. Or maybe just teach our kids to act civil. Nhaaa…

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Police PRESENCE*

How bout that first paragraph: "Death threats, beatings and even stabbings are not uncommon on at least five of the city's bus routes, fueling a mix of fear and anger among drivers and riders who are clamoring for a police presence."

Hmmm the News is the paper that caters to the suburbs...I'd say after that story the clamoring for regional transit is going to be at an all-time high.

Aside from people loving their cars, the number one thing working against transit is people's FEAR of each other. This reinforces that.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5741
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great ideal! That would keep the instant violent between bus drivers and angry passengers down. Just have your fare ready, pay your fare, have a seat and don't distract the bus driver. He ot She calls the shots.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The french have trains that go over 300 miles an hour. We should let the french run DDOT then the buses would move so fast that people would not be violent anymore because they would be on the buses less and would be too busy hanging on to things so they don't fly around all over the place.

Urbanize

Post Number: 561
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should have Known it wouldn't be too long until you marked your presence in the thread Trainman

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in there trainman.I welcome your comments.

What bothers me is not your posts about the French (and their latest train that clocked about 357 miles an hour,) but just the fact that now even more cops have to be taken off squad car, and beat-patrol, and have to be put on public buses to maintain some law and order in this city.
We got more cops in busses and schools the we have walking the streets. What in God's name has happened to this once great and proud City?
What's next for Detroit? Cops in Churches or are they already there too??

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think that the busses in Detroit can be successful if they had more express lane busses, ones that wouldn't stop at every stop. Maybe the busses could stop at every fourth stop and then the busses that followed would straddle the line, picking up the folks at the other stops in the same sequence.

A Gratiot line where pick-ups downtown occur before I-75 and go non-stop until Eight mile might attract a lot of suburbanites. The same could be done for the Grand River, Woodward, and Michigan lines.

Rail transit trains are nice, but Detroit doesn't have the money for this kind of system, especially the capital to build the system let alone run it. It's still cheaper for now to keep the busses running. If they run on time and a few express routes are added to the mix, DDOT would not be as bad as every body claims it is.

(Message edited by royce on April 04, 2007)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two words: Blue Bird.

Anyone remember it? Safer buses could be within reach.

Urbanize

Post Number: 566
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A Gratiot line where pick-ups downtown occur before I-75 and go non-stop until Eight mile might attract a lot of suburbanites. The same could be done for the Grand River, Woodward, and Michigan lines."

I have one word for you Royce, SMART.

Urbanize

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hang in there trainman.I welcome your comments."

Not so much I don't welcome them. I respect everyone's comments. just that all he post about is transit and nothing else.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9 major incidents on a route that sees 4,250,000 riders in 14 months? While ZERO is ideal, 9 seems reasonable enough to me!

How many accidents or incidents of road rage occur per every 4,250,000 drivers? That's something I'd like to see!

The story does nothing more than reinforce stereotypes about the bus and scare people who would consider riding it.

Sure, there isn't much glamour in riding the bus. Yes, some crazy stuff happens on the bus that doesnt get reported. But its definitely safer than driving.

If you write an article about personal safety on a mode of transportation you should at minimum do a quick comparison of similar incidents reported by drivers of personal vehicles.

Urbanize

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chris_rohn, do YOU ride the bus? If that's the case, why don't more people ride them daily over Automobiles?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11454
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Grand River is fine. I've only seen one incident during my few years of ridership. That incident involved a mouthing guy getting a well deserved beat down by the other riders. Aside from that, I've never seen a problem on the buses.

That being said, I don't ride in the middle of the night, nor when the high school kids would be riding to and from school. My window of riding typically would be between 7-10 pm on the weekend.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize,

1) Yes.
2) Convenience, stereotype, fear of the unknown. This question could be a thesis topic.

Urbanize

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't particularly call it a stereotype, although the other answers may be true. Some bus services have proven these rumors true.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title of this thread is misleading. Last I heard, there was still no agreement on whether the Sheriff's deputies will be patrolling buses or not. And it's nearly certain that the Detroit Police will not be on the buses.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.