Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » No vote today on Detroit bus cops « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070404/UPDAT E/704040447/1003

This is a shame. How long does this have to be postponed?

Can anybody from the Law Enforcement community weigh in on this subject matter? I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but using the Wayne County Sheriff seems to be a good solution.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Related front page story in today's Detroit News: Detroit's five most violent bus routes.

It's sad that the Dexter route is mentioned. Sorry, Jjaba.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to make a joke here (about spacemonkey getting raped) till I read the article. NOT FUNNY! Something needs to be done for sure!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8826
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can't vote because one person isn't there. She will probably claim that Sherrif Evans is too white for her and they must look at other options.

She messes up things when she votes and she messes up things when she doesn't show up. Can anyone that voted for Barbara Rose-Collins tell me one way she is beneficial to the city?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They *could* vote with BRC not there, they just chose not to...

Jt1

Post Number: 8827
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, my bad. My question should have been why they wouldn't vote with her missing.

CC is a full time job and this is a pretty important QOL issue for residents. If it is important enough she can make it. If she misses it vote without her.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her most valuable contribution to the City of Detroit is to the Wastewater Secondary Treatment Plant over by the Rouge. Without her gold laced defecate that she contributes upwards of three times daily, the effluent would not be as sparkling and clear.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Votes are often missed on purpose to stall the vote so someone else can come forward with a resolution offering another option.

It is likely that other Councilmembers against the bus deal mentioned that they didn't feel comfortable voting on such an important issue since BRC wasn't there. The Chair (who was likely also against the deal) would then ask the clerk to take it off the table for today's formal session.

Happens all the time. You need to watch Channel 10 more often JT1.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I don't live in Detroit.But is there anywhere in the world aside from some thug third world dictators where the citizens money is as wasted on an inept entity as detroit city council?

How out of touch with its constituency can they be? Where is Bernard Goetz when you need him?

To answer your question jt1 the popular response would be ".....Because she looks like us"....

Jt1

Post Number: 8829
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Susan - I guess I need to drop by satellite provider and get Comcast.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why Detroit will NEVER come back. It can't safely provide basic transportation for its residents and city council can't effectively address it. Nuff said.

Jt1

Post Number: 8830
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEVER is a long time.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read that article this morning. Unacceptable. And the fact that, AGAIN, the CC seems more concerned about this maybe leading to regional takeover, or they are fighting about who gets the money or who gets the jobs instead of doing whats best for citizens and getting cops on the god-damn busses. For every job they try to get, that's X number of people that have now been assaulted because of a lack of police presence. Un acceptable.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the News article..
"They've also urged Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings -- a Kilpatrick appointee -- to keep the grant money and re-staff the buses, but she has refused, saying her priority is patrolling the streets."

Doesn't this idiot answer to anyone? My boss doesn't "urge" me to do things, he demands it. Maybe she is busy still looking for the fireworks shooter. I have never been a Kwame fan, but I admit he is doing much better lately (or hiding his faults better at least). Ella is going to drag him down. He should unload her now and cut his losses.

Jt1

Post Number: 8836
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Ella in this. The money might cover the costs of the people but there is overhead too. Let DPD concentrate on the streets and the calls and contract the WCS (as Ella Bully believes should happen) to patrol the buses.

When you have an inept organization it is best to focus on specific core things. When Wayne County is willing to do it the logical thing is to have them do it.

I do not like Ella Bully-Cummings but I agree with her on this. The council wants DPD to take it on so the city can control the money, nothing more. Ella realizes that her department is a mess and would prefer the leadership to concentrate on the core services.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think getting attackers off buses would be considered "core services."

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been trying to think of a creative approach. Could you throw a bus into lockdown mode until the cops arrive, called by radio? Not likely.

Do the drivers have a panic button to call the cops as needed? Do they have GPS devices onboard?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt realize that drivers were being assaulted that often. I used to ride the Dexter bus all the time and besides the dumb ass Cass Tech students who would holler shit out the windows they were harmless.

I dont see why the council is stalling this appears to be an efficient way to keep the system safe and yet not have to use any of our own resources to do it.

Jt1

Post Number: 8844
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think getting attackers off buses would be considered "core services."

Transit police is often different than normal police. Other cities do not use their police force to police transit (I think). The point is that DPD can't manage the responsibilities of enforcing the law on the street. IF WCS is willing to take this they should at least until the DPD can get thier shit together.

If you are behind at work do you ask for more work?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if this came out but years and years ago there was a plain-clothes unit of the DPD that staked out DSR coaches and (so I've heard) kicked butt when necessary.

I'll bet that some aggressive policing by even a small unit could have a big impact upon trouble-makers. Give the thugs the idea that they're being watched and at risk of a thumping and a ride in the back of a scout car.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not clear that the federal money being offered is even available to DPD, it may just be to WCSD at this time. Apparently there was an incident on one of the busses that stops in Hamtramck, and the Hamtramck police would not respond because they said it was a "Detroit bus," and yet DPD could not respond because it was in Hamtramck. Since DDOT goes into many other jurisdictions, having the WCSD be the transit police makes sense.

While any incident is unacceptable, the numbers show that this is not as common as the inflammatory News front page would have one believe.

I'm sure BRC was just busy filing her taxes! ;)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree NEVER is a long time...sounds like someone north of 8 mile would say who hasn't been downtown in years.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 675
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She messes up things when she votes and she messes up things when she doesn't show up. Can anyone that voted for Barbara Rose-Collins tell me one way she is beneficial to the city?

Don't worry, she's easily be re-elected in the next election based on name recognition alone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.