Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Palmer park buildings going condo? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering with much blight affecting PP, would PP benifit anything by going condo with a lot of those buildings? Have any already done so? Just wondering! Would the owners or residents benifit more? Would going condo command more police presence in PP? I lived there for many years and I see so much potential for it. First HP would have to go away! LOL (JK)

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what is going on in PP other than this:

http://www.1001covington.com/

It would seem that more conversions would have to help.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More info on that project:

14 of 16 units sold in Palmer Park condo complex

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/covington80.aspx

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8831
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the units bring in enough revenue to justify it?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where exactly is this "blight" that is "affecting" Palmer Park?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the surface it seems that if they're selling for an average of $200,000 and selling quickly, then I think so. The buildings are already there and occupied, so renovation costs would not be too costly I think. Although that is a wild guess on my part. Others on this site could do a much better job of crunching the guesstimated numbers of a conversion like this.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me, 1001 Covington is one of the finest apartment buildings in the city. It was designed by Albert Kahn. The apartments compare in size and style to those in Indian Village Manor.

333 Covington is also a condo and has been since it was built, I believe, in the 1950's. The original owners were wealthy Jewish families who no longer wanted to maintain their large, northwest Detroit homes. Until the 1970's Temple Israel was located in Palmer Park and was an anchor for the neighborhood. This building used to have a doorman and has indoor parking, as does at least one other Palmer Park building.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Eric, I havent been there in 10 years. My friends tell me just about every other building in PP is either burned out or boarded up. Im just going by what I hear. And the pictures of the grass growing up in the fountain in the park. Guess Im wrong and Palmer park is not affected by any blight and is a vibriant and thriving community! 1001 covington is an awsome building! My friends Robbie and Sheila used to manage that. Sorry I upset you Eric. Chill out!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The buildings directly on McNichols aren't in that great of shape, many of them are burned and empty, but once you head North in the Palmer Park area there isn't much blight. Sure the buildings could use a cleaning and some restoration work but it wouldn't be nearly as costly as rehabing a burned out building.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many of those buildings in PP are in horrific shape that I am afraid PP is a lost area. The landlords over the years literally bled the buildings for all they could and put little maintainance in. With the exception of the Covington building it would take an enormous effort to restore PP. I don't think it will happen. You often hear people blame the condition of the area on the poor quality of residents but a major part of the blame rests on the building owners for their lack of caring to retain the quality of the buildings.

Eric_c

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, Exmotowner, all I did was ask a question. Didn't think I needed to chill out, at all.

Secondly, with the exception of McNichols (which marks the border with Highland Park, mind you) the Palmer Park Neighborhood seems exceptionally stable. In fact, I don't actually think of McNichols at all when I think of Palmer Park, and I work everyday just south of McNichols on Woodward.

To me, the district is home to the park, the golf course, the Detroit Golf Club and it's affiliated neighborhood, and the Sherwood Forest area directly across Seven Mile.

I like the new vintage-look streetlights that were installed on Merril Plaissance and Pontchartrain, too. The fountain hasn't been "overgrown" in years and Chess Row was recently refurbished.

There are always improvements that can be made, but I suggest you come back more often than every ten years and see for yourself what's going on.

Maybe this summer I'll post pictures, but don't hold your breath! :-)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c, what exactly is Chess Row? I've seen the arrows pointing to it, but it appears that it is closed off to car traffic.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eric_c works at deja vu?

Exmotowner

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eric. I dont know what chess row is either. I used to manage the 1001 merton, right behind Menjos. The owner was more than happy for us to restore the apt's when the residents moved out which we did to all his building (4). I will be coming back Memorial day week/weekend and will definitely be seeing for myself. I will be staying one night with a bud in Palmer Woods. I envision palmer park cleaned up with great restraunts and shops in all the lower levels and all cleaned up and bustling! It could still happen. I dont understand why the owners "landlords" dont get together and make a concentrated effort to get it together. Hell they have MAJOR investments there! Does anyone know of D. DeWald still owns a lot of the buildings? I think he owned (if memory serves me right) 17 buildings. I dated him for a while when I first came out. Eric. sorry I sounded like an ass, I really didnt mean to. I had planned on coming home labor day weekend when Katrina hit, but had buds come stay with me from N.O and just gave them my vacation money. Will be excited to see the changes Memorial day though.

Jfried

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and yes, there are buildings in palmer park that could be maintained better, but there are several that are kept in very good shape.
people have mentioned the 1001 covington condos several times but you really have to see them to believe it. 1001 was originally built as one of the first apt buildings in the city to accomadate families. actually, I believe you HAD to have at least one child to rent there. each unit is built as its own wing, so you have three exterior walls of windows, and no adjacent neighbors. the walls and ceilings are 18" poured concrete so you will not be hearing your neighbors. the updated condo have refinished wood floors & molding, new utilities, kitchens and baths. Starting at $159k. Definitely one of the most elegant, affordable developments in the city. The developer has plans for more condo conversions, and was also taking initial steps to form an organization to promote the redevelopment of the area.

Jfried

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops

(Message edited by jfried on April 05, 2007)

Eric_c

Post Number: 934
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Chess Row is just an area of chess tables and benches. Bring your own pieces.

2. Yes, Eric_c works as a bouncer at the Vu. Just teasing.

Actually, I work at Revival Tabernacle as a custodian. Just teasing.

Actually, I work at the Crown Motel as a maid. Just teasing.

Actually, I work at the Uptown Cleaners as a pants presser. Just teasing.

Actually, I work at Powerhouse Gym as a Personal Trainer. Just teasing...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1001 was originally built as one of the first apt buildings in the city to accomadate families.

The square footage per unit is impressive. Are there other buildings with units this size?

Neilr

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, off the top of my head, the buildings in Detroit that had regular apartments of this size are The Palms (1001 Jefferson), Garden Court, Indian Village Manor, and Detroit Towers. There may have been other apartment buildings that had an enormous penthouse, or one tier of huge apartments, for example; but in these buildings, virtually all the apartments were very large.

My best guess is that the biggest regular apartments of all were the rear (south side) apartments in The Garden Court. As designed and built, there were only four apartments per floor at the Garden Court. Although, those at the Palms, basically only two per floor, may have been as large.

Smaller buildings with large apartments include The Colonial on Parker at Lafayette, Several buildings on Hazelwood, a building just east of Woodward on, I believe, Mt. Vernon, and the building on EGB at Lafayette.

The Art Center Apartments on Kirby and John R had big apartments and even bigger apartments. It is now student housing for CCS.

There is a white stucco building on, I believe Whitmore, in Palmer Park that is all small duplex apartments. The Hibbard, on East Jefferson at Hibbard, has (or had) several duplexes also.

The most impressive, long hallways I have ever been in are those in the Indian Village Manor. They stretch, in a straight, unobstructed line, from the front of the building on Jefferson all the way to the river end.

Neilr

Post Number: 485
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been thinking. On McNichols, west of Hamilton in Highland Park, there is a handsome red brick building called, I believe, The Georgian. It also has quite fine, large apartments. There was an attempt, perhaps 20 years ago, to convert it to condos. I don't know its current status.

Also, out on East Jefferson in Grosse Pointe, there is a 2 story red brick apartment that was built in, I'm guessing, the 70's. I've never been in this one; but it appears to have very large apartments.

Then, I've already mentioned in a previous post 333 Covington. Those units are very large.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, thanks Neilr.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.