Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Papa John's Anyone?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a great little blurb about some serious investment in the city. This is the kind of thing that will help anchor communities as they stabilize and grow.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070405/U PDATE/704050457/1003

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news. I love Papa Johns. Let's hope they open within our delivery range though. Sort of annoyed having to go over to Grosse Pointe, Eastpointe or Warren for a decent pizza. Only place that will deliver over here is poor run mom and pop stores and a rank Dominoes.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 848
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30 of them? Holy shit!

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good news. I don't want to rain on the parade, but....

1. This is creating 1,000 minimum wage jobs

2. Their pizza sucks

3. Detroit's already a pretty fat city, why add to the problem.

I'll stick with the local places over a nation chain any day.

1,000 people who were making 50$ an hour at the plant are now making 7,50$ at Papa John's. How is that progress?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their pizza is terrible, but if they really open 30 locations, it's great news.

Thejesus

Post Number: 850
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee:

I don't think the jobs are really the issue...the issue is selling suburbanites on the viability of living in Detroit, and this is just one more step in the right direction...

Also, it's an indication that there is money in Detroit that businesses have yet to tap into...if these franchises are successful, other may follow suit...

methinks Detroit is going to look and feel very different in 5-10 years : )

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But will he restore the United Artists theatre?

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30 locations in Detroit or the Detroit Metro Area??? The only Papa Johns I know about is at 16 Rochester in Troy.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illitch will use his secret weapon the scary little "Pizza Pizza" toga guy to attack Papa John....whoever he is.

Support Detroit born Pizza Chains....Little Cesars, Dominoes, Hungry Howies....and all the local joints!! Papa Johns is based in Kentucky.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1. This is creating 1,000 minimum wage jobs

2. Their pizza sucks

3. Detroit's already a pretty fat city, why add to the problem.

I'll stick with the local places over a nation chain any day.

There there are people out there who would love and need these minimum wage jobs though. Their pizza sucking is a matter of opinion, and Detroit's (or any cities) fat status is more of a problem with lifestyle, not just the availability of fast food. I do however agree with you on eating at the local places over the chains.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can actually make a fairly decent amount of money delivering pizza. I'm not saying its a career, but when I delivered pizza in college I could easily rake in $25 an hour if you counted my wage + tips. It really is better than a minimum wage job. I'm not saying you're gonna buy a house on the hill with it, but it beats slinging burgers at McDonalds any day.

It was a popular job for people who DID have full time jobs who just wanted some extra pocket money too, since the schedules are so flexible and mostly evenings.

PS Papa John was a Domino's franchisee before stealing all their ideas and starting his own company. Thats where he came from.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good that he's bringing the tax dollars into the city. I guess these 1000 jobs are probably going to people who don't have jobs now. Doing something is better than nothing.

(Message edited by milwaukee on April 05, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"30 locations in Detroit or the Detroit Metro Area??? The only Papa Johns I know about is at 16 Rochester in Troy."

There's one in Eastpointe. I don't trust the local places. All the ones I've been to are run very poorly and definently aren't the cleanest in the world. King's Pizza on 7 Mile proved that.

Thejesus

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how many locations they have in Detroit, and I don't think there are many, but the company is by no means small potatoes...

Papa John's in a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ with a market cap of almost a billion dollars...

this is a positive thing for the D

Urbanize

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may be one or two in Detroit, but the chances are slim.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard on the news that it's 30 location within the city.

Urbanize

Post Number: 593
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was commenting on Thejesus' comment Tetsua.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We order Papa John's all the time, because they deliver to our address, it's a good pizza, but,
IMO
Buddy's Is Better.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might just be guessing, but I don't think that Jdkeepsmiling posted that link to the News article for people on the forum to discuss what kind of pizza is better, or critique the type of jobs that Papa John's offers. Rather as simply a sign that Detroit is headed in the right direction and things are getting better.

Urbanize

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I might just be guessing, but I don't think that Jdkeepsmiling posted that link to the News article for people on the forum to discuss what kind of pizza is better, or critique the type of jobs that Papa John's offers. Rather as simply a sign that Detroit is headed in the right direction and things are getting better."

So you're saying that if Sonics eventually opened a location in the city that everything will be at it's best? It's a pizza place, not a headquarter or anything.

Thejesus

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize:

The point is, it's something that wasnt happening before now...i.e., the city is moving in the right direction

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So you're saying that if Sonics eventually opened a location in the city that everything will be at it's best? It's a pizza place, not a headquarter or anything

No that 30 more small businesses that aren't liquor stores or gas stations should be viewed as a positiive.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Sonic burger, I'm sure glad they stopped advertising here. I was getting really sick of being taunted with Sonic Blasts when there isn't a Sonic anywhere within two states of here. GRR!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papa John's yay. That means one more decent pizza place close to school. I would love to see a Jet's on Livernois, but I can be happy with a Papa John's.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sonic Burger would be a good addition to the fast food market here. After seeing their ads for so long here I had to have one when I was in Denver recently. Gotta say they are much better than McD's or BK's.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't really like the food at Sonic, but I LOVE those drinks! They serve the best drinks and milkshakes!

Do they have Steak and Shake in Michigan? They have good milkshakes and they're kind of fun to go to.

Urbanize

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have them in Michigan (believe only one location).

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pizza chains, or any food chain for that matter, suck ass. I have yet to find a chain pizza that didn't taste like old socks.

Club_boss

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Steak & Shake in Washtenaw county, I use to stop by after work and get my fix.

Sonic makes an excellent shake, S & S shakes are second to none.

Urbanize

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

METRO Detroit has finally lucked up on some Culvers though (3). For those who are unaware, there like a larger Fuddruckers.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 06, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, there's 21. Only 6 in Metro Detroit and none in the City of Detroit

http://steakandshake.com/state s/mic.asp

Club_boss

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are talking about all the good places to go eat.

Culver's Butterburgers, Yummy.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have yet to find a chain pizza that didn't taste like old socks"

Have you had Rocky Rococo's? That's the only good chain pizza I can think of.

Still, I'm a fan of the neighborhood pizza place.

Urbanize, I love Culvers! They're from Wisconsin, so we have them everywhere. Good burgers, I'm such a fan of the custard (compared to other Milwaukee places).

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papa John's is ok. The sausage pizza they've been advertising is not bad, but there are better options in the area (I prefer the large, square Sicilian-style a la Buddy's).

I must say I'm a little surprised because of the plethora of pizza chains here: both national and local. They must think they have a opening here or else why bother trying.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody like Pizza Hut? That probably finishes last in terms of my chain pizza places.

Little Caesar's is good if you only have 5 dollars and you're hungry or out with your friends.

I always ate Papa Johns at Marquette games with my dad. Although the pizza is bad, it makes me think about the fun stuff I've done with my dad.

Urbanize

Post Number: 632
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel the same way about Pizza Hut and Little Caesars also. Did Ilitch change the recipe or something, because back in the 90s, it was delish.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rate Papa Johns' pizza very good, especially their Sausage Sensation.

Domino's is good but I rarely order from them.

Hungary Howie's was the best pizza I ever ate back when I lived in Westland. They were the ones that started the 2 for 1 special that Little Caesar's copied. They had one HH here in Chesapeake VA but suffered from lack of recognition and closed. Durn.

Little Caesar's has fallen in quality to the point that they are rated just above CiCi's Pizza (cheap pizza buffet chain) that taste like cardboard.

But at times, I like to go to the locally-owned (wherever they are) Italian or Greek restaurant to get a pizza. Like Angelo's Brothers on Ford Road in Westland or Val's here in Virginia Beach VA.

Stay away from Chuck E. Cheese's.

Urbanize

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Stay away from Chuck E. Cheese's."

Got that right.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 631
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two words: Schitt yeah!
That garlic butter dipping sauce is uber-nummy.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's delivery and mass produced....actually I had some in Tulsa yesterday for a business meeting and was not bad :}...But I believe the good thing is anytime something is created in the city it is good news...As far as minimum wages ;;; I believe not all of us started out at CEo wages and for the young kids who say there is no opportunities; here you go...start learning a work ethic...we all did ...Busemies (spelling)and Mr. C's would be better though

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield is getting a Fat Burger, I believe this is the first in MIchigan.

Also, Little Ceasers became crap when started their $5 hot-n-ready!

I'd prefer Hungry Howies out of all the chains.

Urbanize

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Mr. C's. BuSCAMis food poisoned me.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been to Big Boy, how is it? I like Bob Evans. I always go there if we're in Indiana. I love those breakfasts. The only thing in Wisconsin like that is the frozen breakfast meals.

I love the big boy mascot. I love it when they have that as a statue.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is funny that any post about food, even if it is development news gets turned into a quality of food discussion. My point in this post was to point out that you need national chains to open in the city to encourage people to live in the city. One of the complaints we always here on this forum is that I need to drive to X to buy X, why can't there be X store here. I don't care if it is the crappiest pizza in the world, what it means is that 1000 Detroit Residents will have jobs and people will be able to go around their block and buy a pizza from a functioning, tax paying business, with lights that are on and a storefront that is not empty. I am just amazed that if there is this market one of the Detroit Pizza companies did not take this initiative. I am convinced that underserved Urban America is the last growth market left for many domestic chains. We shall see.....

Urbanize

Post Number: 640
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a great restaurant. Most of the Big Boy locations today are only in Michigan. We have Bob Evans too. I haven't been there in years though.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11460
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody has their own taste I guess, I always loved Papa John's up at CMU, consider it among the top pizzas I've had. Not to mention, they recently launched an online service where you can order your pizza via their website! How cool/high tech is that?

Gibran

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a close friend who worked for Big Boy on Harper(1970's) ... would get good burgers there.

I have been to sonics all over ...I still like Wendy's Burgers over theirs. Good drinks...

Fast food is just that . I prefer Mom and Pops...but if Le Shish out in warren went fast I would be a happy guy.

Urbanize

Post Number: 641
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wendy's is nasty and they food poisoned me (lol).

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked up Big Boy, they had almost 100 locations in Michigan! They're also in Illinois, North Dakota, Florida, California, and some other smaller states.

Do they have good burgers?

We were up at 9 Mile and Jefferson last year and we thought about going, I don't know why we didn't.

Urbanize

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Elias Brothers did a good job managing the franchise is the general conclusion unlike those other people.

Gibran

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Urban ...altough i would love to go to lunch with many on this post I might reconsider that Urban :} I hope that there are some places out there... Elias Brothers did a good job in the 70's are they still operating them now?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 519
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070406/B IZ/704060361/1001

read the article...it says most will be in the city

also...Canfield and Cass?? theres nothing there but parking lots...could they mean forest and cass in the retail section of South U's garage?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up with the Big Boy chain.
Elias owned Big Boy untill 1999 when the chain filed bankruptcy. Robert Ligget owns Big boy now but the same folks pretty much run it. Some locations are good but some of the franchised locations are pretty bad, I treat my friends to Big Boy at least once a week thanks to gift cards from my parents. Stay away from the belle Isle one, the owners neglect it and it is absolutely awful . Before the karmic Cafe the only job i ever knew was Big Boy.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's not much @ Canfield/Cass.
Hmmm...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm.... it seems that everyone is trying to poison you Urbanize...

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papa Johns is lame. Their pizza is the equivalent of Wonderbread. It is bland and the sauce is too sweet. How can they expect to come into Pizzatown and make a dent when there are so many great local pizza places there that deserve support?

Urbanize

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The local pizza places must out weigh the crappy ones, and that isn't really working in this society.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.