Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Floating Houses - the Answer for St. Clair Flats [and New Orleans?] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3771
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CBC National has been running and excellent sequence of the perceived effects of global warming.

So what could the Netherlands do if the North Sea rose a few meters? This led to Koen Olthuis, an interesting Dutch architect who designs floating houses and structures. They float on water and can rise up to 5 meters with oil rig-like pylons. Water, sewage and utilities connect via flexible connectors.

Inspired by the Seaway Island thread I thought of the precarious areas like Harsens Island, St. Clair Shores and Gibraltor and the potential these designs may offer. Maybe there are some already?

Video

Koen Olthuis Interview

Welcome to Waterworld?

ww

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen quite a few "floating houses" in the Florida Keys. Also a great way to save on property taxes =).

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't they have floating houses in Seattle? On the Flats they have houses on stilts, but I can't think of any that float.

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't the Great Lakes over 500 feet above sea level? I have not researched the effect of sea level rise in regards to Michigan but it seems that the water would cover low-lying areas first like Florida before the Great Lakes would rise much.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't want to be on one in "N'awlins" with them 'gators....CHOMP!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 778
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Promoting the notion of amphibious housing in the ecologically sensitive marshes of St. Clair County, given the equally close proximity of the Flats to downtown Detroit (~25 miles via boat), could help take the development pressure off of the remaining (and oh-so-very productive) cornfields in the Shelby/Macomb/Harrison Twp. corridor. Lord knows that we're going to need every arable acre of land for growing corn to make ethanol so that the US can become energy independent and the price of tacos in Mexico City can remain reasonable.

Harsensis

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Mike, It all has to do with land price and availability. They would find a way to tax people on it too, since the people would have to connect to sewage and electric.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea of floating houses Lowell. But what about when you flush. There would be something else floating too.
http://www.sub-find.com/trilob is65.htm

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4123
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Florida is so low lying (highest point in the state is something like 300 ft above sea level, somewhere in the panhandle) that rises in sea level would definitely have a profound effect on them. Ironically, the highest point in the state is in a Miami highrise tower.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there were floating houses........in Saginaw on the Saginaw River. Photo is from the 1940's.

Ookpik

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 490
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the biggest problem with floating housing in Michigan would be the ice. Unless the hull portion was built incredibly strong the winter freeze would cause some damage.

Harsensis

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Aren't the Great Lakes over 500 feet above sea level? I have not researched the effect of sea level rise in regards to Michigan but it seems that the water would cover low-lying areas first like Florida before the Great Lakes would rise much."

Detroit is about 620 feet at least at City Airport. I remember it being close to that since we always had to adjust the planes guage. The only reason it is related to global warming is that areas with lots of people might be underwater. The only reason it was suggested for this area, is that we have a lot of areas with water that could be used for more housing.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 356
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake Saint Clair is really shallow. If you built something there it wouldn't really be floating as much as sitting.

I think lake Saint Clair is an outstanding resource, and is definitely under recognized.

I think that building that kind of stuff would reinforce the boating culture, and create a very interesting community.

It would be really exciting if that happened here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.