Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Fire on Ferris street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand , it took three phone calls and over 20 minutes for the fire department to arrive . By that time winds had spread the flames to the house next door to the south totalling the roof and the roof structure. ( both houses were occupied ) Not an impressive response from our usually stellar D.F.D.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it took three phone calls and over 20 minutes for the fire department to arrive

There is no way that is true.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where on Ferry?....pics?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, Ferris, not Ferry.

Harsensis

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh, sorry, I read it to quick. Either that or Ferry is more familiar, so that's popped into my head.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn! I missed this one:-( I gotta start taking my scanner along.

Harsensis

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, do you have one of the trunkable scanners? Is Detroit on a trunkable system like the Pointes? I want to get a trunkable scanner, but the prices are still to high for me right now. I like to be nosey and hear what is going on in the neighborhood. My old scanner doesn't pick up anything anymore.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ftdfd............
That's what two different people told me . They have no reason at all to lie about it.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's trunking system.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/ tool/post/jlrandall/vpost?id=7 96910

Harsensis

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dfd, all of that info helps even though I can't afford to get in that game yet.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you! Radio Shack had theirs on sale for $399. thanks

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am almost 100 % sure that NO Detroit Fire company took 20 to respond to a dwelling fire. it might have seemed like a long time to the people on the scene. But i know for a fact that it didnt take 20 mins for DFD to respond. Maybe you did watch it burn for 20 mins, While you were watching it burn did you bother to pick-up the phone and call the fire department for yourself or did you just think that someone else called ??.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. Softailrider, I'm sure your sources aren't lying, but people often overestimate how long it takes for help to arrive, which is understandable in such a high-stress situation.

In the vast majority of cases, a rig is on scene within five minutes of dispatch. I don't have response time stats, but it's likely in the neighborhood of 95 percent. I would guess response times have increased in the last two years, and will continue to do so as more fire companies are closed. But even in the worst-case scenarios I haven't heard of anything like a 20-minute response. If your sources have proof of their timeline, I hope they get the media's attention and push it to the front page because that would be outrageous.

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who don't know, check out this link to the DFD dispatch audio feed...

http://detroitfire.dvrdns.org: 8000/live

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.