Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Would a mall downtown be a good thing for the revitalization of Detroit? » Would a mall downtown be a good thing - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bsarndt
Username: Bsarndt

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would you feel about a mall downtown near the riverfront?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11450
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mall downtown would be a wonderful thing, as long as it was implemented correctly. Take a looke at Circle Centre mall in Indy as an example of a mall that was truly implemented into a downtown environment. The mall was always packed with people, truly an anchor for downtown Indy. The mall reutilized existing buildings and built multi-level catwalks made of glass to connect the buildings.

http://www.indy.org/indianapol is/web/jsp/whattodo/detail.jsp ?c=7013237:circlecentre:showhi de&p=1&x=1175694800280

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also take a look at St. Louis Centre a colossal failure of a downtown mall. More likely than not Detroit would go down this same path.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My plan, if I had the money and the backing, would put the mall actually on the riverfront with the ability to park your river craft.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you could even build it on the hudson's site!

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3745
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! Big windowless retail center with gobs of parking right where we could build some high value housing!

And a boat slip to use five months out of the year because lots of people drive to the marina, start up their incredibly fuel inefficient boat, drive it to the mall and then drive back to the marina and reload everything back into their car!

Wow thats just the icing on the cake!

DumfuckistanYes.com

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a great idea! I would imagine with all of the momentum downtown, most of the stores at Somerset would want to move to the new mall.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think maybe they should build a mall on Belle Isle, but it would be like a Mall of America with a rollercoaster and amusement park stuff inside. If there isn't enough parking on the island, there is plenty of available land just off the bridge and people could easily take shuttles to the mall. The shuttles could be really pimped out booze busses or something like that. It'd be awesome.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of cities have downtown malls, they are integrated into existing building or built to look that way, not just plunking down a suburban mall downtown. Denver has a really nice downtown shopping center which is like that. Hopefully Detroit can pull something like that off in the next few years.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, Skulker, let's instead, take our "fuel efficient" SUV's to any mall past 8 Mile spend a high amount of money in the suburbs instead of in the city! Gee that sounds like the way it should be, huh?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it sounds like the way it *is* if nothing else. And it does illustrate some of the potential flaws in your plan.

The Belle Isle plan is way better.

Supersport

Post Number: 11451
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker,

I would argue that Indy has either about the same, or even perhaps LESS parking than downtown Detroit. They did however implement it into buildings much better than Detroit so the their monsterous parking garages are more well hid, with more retail on the ground level floors than Detroit.

In addition, as I said above, they reused mostly existing buildings. Buildings which in turn had some windows in. Now perhaps there aren't as many windows as an office building may have, but to label Circle Centre mall as a windowless retail centre is more than a stretch.

Whether or not a mall would survive here, I can't say. From frequenting downtown Indy multiple times a week, I'd estimate that Detroit's downtown population is likely much higher than Indy's. The difference between the two cities is that downtown Indy is more of a regional destination for people in the area. Downtown Indy is THE place to be, where as up here, we have so many self sufficient sufficient suburbs with monster malls already, trying to attract customers to downtown may be difficult.

As for where to locate it? I don't know. I do feel that the Shoppes at Riverfront in the RenCen are a good example of how a downtown mall can be created in the heart of downtown, not be a windowless retail center, and implemented well. That being said, there are still many vacancies in the RenCen that haven't been filled, so why build more retail that would either created the same situation, likely draining business from the RenCen shoppes?

Personally, I don't believe downtown is probably quite ready for a mall.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What flaws, Dialh4hipster?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Belle Isle plan is way better.

i dunno, i like the plan of incorporating belle isle into its own township and developing the bejesus out of it with mcmansions and marinas....'course, that's assuming the island stays under US control.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Belle Isle Mall would only work if we shut down freighter traffic on the river and built a new bridge to Windsor. All of the stores would need to agree to accept both US and Canadian currency. Since it would be a join US/Canadian venture, OPP would need to provide security.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the intrigue, Supersport, would be high gas prices and people willing to spend in the city. Malls in the suburbs are starting to get quite a few vacancies themselves. I'm just saying that you give the mall downtown something no other mall in the area can give you. One is riverfront scenery.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw another bridge, why don't we just fill in the river with all the crappy bridge cement?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are good points Crew and totally do-able. We could also run auto ferries from the Windsor side.

It really feels like this idea is coming together as the pre-eminent mall concept for Detroit.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the original plan of Trappers Alley focused around shopping and a mall-type atmosphere?

Bsarndt

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That mall on Belle Isle IS a good idea, but I would suggest building another bridge from the mainland.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whether or not a mall would survive here, I can't say. From frequenting downtown Indy multiple times a week, I'd estimate that Detroit's downtown population is likely much higher than Indy's. The difference between the two cities is that downtown Indy is more of a regional destination for people in the area. Downtown Indy is THE place to be, where as up here, we have so many self sufficient sufficient suburbs with monster malls already, trying to attract customers to downtown may be difficult."

I would agree w/ this above post.

In Indy everything is downtown, Conseco Fieldhouse, the circle city mall, Lucas Oil Stadium (08), hotels, the cities finest restaurants. And it's all within walking distance.

I think a mall in downtown Detroit is worth a try.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8817
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could have places like the Roostertail run water shuttles to the mall.

Crew

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferries are an awesome idea for a mall! What other mall in the country offers auto ferries? This would be North America's first truely international mall. Do you think the Boblo Boats could be converted into auto ferries?

"Belle Isle International Mall Emporium"

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What stores does everyone think we should have at the Belle Isle Internation Mall Emporium??

Crew

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canadian Tire
Merry-Go-Round

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Eaton Center in Toronto is another example of a nice city mall. Of course, the Eaton Center has the benefit of being fully integrated into the city's subway system too. But you could definitely not call it a "Big windowless retail center with gobs of parking" as Skulker assumes any Mall would have to be.

The only downside to a mall downtown I could see is if it detracted from foot traffic elsewhere. I wouldn't want it to become a little sanctuary for people so they don't have to walk through other areas of downtown.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 520

Remember that Circle Center Mall in Indy has stores that can only be found in that mall in the entire Metro Indy area, like Nordstroms.

A downtown mall would have to be unique to attract people. Or it has to offer the best selection in the region, like Circle Center does.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Crew, now we are getting somewhere! Stores should be placed for the 18 - 35 old group.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spencer's gifts, the emorium needs a spencer's gifts!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 542
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This question was asked 2-3 Months ago. The people on here gave that person the flux.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 04, 2007)

Crew

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any store that carries "I'm so bad I vacation in Detroit" t-shirts would do well.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dollar castle

Dollar Emporium

Foot Locker

Wigs n' Nails

Beauty supply superstore

the Leftorium

Dollar Daze

the Family reunion custom printed T-shirt superstore

Liquor-Lotto-Deli

Advance check cashing

RAC-rent-to-own

about seven coney islands

Rim/tire rent-to-own ultra store

Security grates and more!

and:
how about mall-storefront churches?

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Jesus what the hell happened to this site. Lowell should introduce an 'ignore' option so I don't have to see all of these ridiculous hypothetical 'what if Detroit had this...' or 'Detroit should do this...' threads.

What a waste of a forum that used to be a wonderful place to gain information and get an early jump on the next big development announcement.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cell phone accessory kiosks as far as the eye can see!

Urbanize

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DONT FORGET THE WAL-MART! Everyone shops at Wal-Mart.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, and magic eye poster kiosks, can't forget those!

"you dumb bastard, its a not a schooner, its a sailboat!"

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copley Center in Boston incorporates old and new buildings, hotels, retail, entertainment, exhibit space - even a church. I really enjoyed it, and it didn't stop me from exploring the rest of downtown and Back Bay. Of course Detroit is not Boston.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9342
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumbfuckistanyes.com! I love it! It sounds like the former dictator Turkmenbashi who was known for his idiotic ideas.
Belle Isle as a mall...fucking hilarious!

Crew

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, Not just "a mall" it would be an "International Emporium"

geesh

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no. take a look at what the ren cen did to downtown retail when it was built.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster wrote, "It really feels like this idea is coming together as the pre-eminent mall concept for Detroit."

Just because some people on a message board are making pie in the sky wishes, you think it's going to come true?

Supersport

Post Number: 11452
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one that realizes that DialH4Hipester was being sarcastic? Seriously, a mall on Belle Isle? Skulker's dumbfukistan card seems well played in this instance.

Jt1

Post Number: 8818
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you not realize that almost all of us were being sarcastic as well?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Am I the only one that realizes that DialH4Hipester was being sarcastic?

No.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, everybody has a negative idea about what to put downtown/Belle Isle. So what if past ventures have failed...so what if a new one does, if no one tries, nothing can be accomplished. What do you want to do, sit here and IM all day at what could be...or put words to action? Cracking on folks ideas in the forum is stupid considering those same people haven't come up with and implemented their own ideas.

Jt1

Post Number: 8819
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle is fine as a park. Some clean up and infrastructure improvements are all that is needed.

The River front is in the process of seeing development and a mall doesn't make sense on an international border since it cuts off traffic from one direction. You are cutting half the potential population in a given radius.

Crew

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jtl, OK thanks. nevermind then.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ferry route seems to be good from the Canadian side, since it would be illogical to build a bridge due to the shipping lane. There is already a Coast Guard base on the island, so safety of the ferry/shipping lanes is already determined.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since were all millionaires if we pool our money together we can make this a reality!

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mall on Belle Isle is not going to happen. That being said, prior to the imploding of the Hudson's building, was there any realistic proposals to convert that building into something similar to a mall?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copley Center is connected to the Hynes Center... I guess you could connect a Detroit mall to the fabled new Cobo...

But malls are so 1994. Detroit needs a shopping district.

Urbanize

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Since were all millionaires if we pool our money together we can make this a reality!"

YOU can do that. We'll just sit back and watch.

Urbanize

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malls are SO 1970s and 1980s. Outdoor Malls was SO 90s. Now it's the Shopping Districts like Chicago's Magnificant Mile.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, the brilliance of the newbies continues. Dumbfuckistanyes indeed!

Let's take valuable land that has just been returned from industrial uses and turn it into a mall. Last time I looked malls didn't have windows and required huge parking lots. Just the thing to replace the large factories that had no windows and large parking lots.

How about creating neighborhoods for people to live in on the water? Last time I looked people were willing to pay large premiums to get waterfront views.

Maybe if you'd read more of the forum instead of posting really stupid ideas you would realize some of the people here are doing things instead of just spinning up really idiotic ideas.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are thoughts, dude, get a grip.

Island traffic shouldn't be too bad and parking shouldn't be a problem if you put a stacked garage next to the mall. Upgrade the police station on the island and add a fire station. Have mini clinics also with the police/fire setup. You'll have plenty of safety. Something people look for when going out into the city.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, what is your brilliant plan, burn the city down, start from scratch?

Stecks77

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if people want to swim to Belle Isle? What do we do then?

Can we accomodate them as well?

Bsarndt

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks77...give it up. Don't be silly and idiotic at the same time.

Club_boss

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parking for Circle City mall is all underground.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a grip. It's clear that you don't. You and Detblue are in some delusional little world.

What do you have against parkland? Why are you trying to turn some of the best park land in the country into something other than a public park? Belle Isle is performing it's function perfectly. Sure it could use a little help. A good cleaning and some upgrades.

Instead of trying to turn it into something else why don't you volunteer to help clean it up? The friends of Belle Isle will be doing it shortly. Why not do something useful for a change.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5739
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mall in Detroit is BAD IDEAL! Not only it would suck every last Downtown Detroit businesses dry, but also not going to be to generate any more fancy businesses. The last mall was a DOOMED TO FAILURE is the Tower Center Mall in side the former Montgomery Ward's building on the corner of Grand River Ave. and Greenfield St.

Other suburban Malls are DOOMED TO FAILURE are being beat out is LIVONIA MALL, UNIVERSAL MALL, WONDERLAND MALL, FOUNTAIN WALK AND TEL-TWELVE MALL. Also the newly remodeled indoor mini mall inside the REN CEN is not getting enough customers due to their busy work period. Most kids and teens don't even go there.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle is pretty big, underground parking wouldn't be a necessity. Good idea, though.

Stecks77

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would propose an underwater walking tunnel to Belle Isle since traffic will be busy on the bridge.

Maybe the tunnel could even have windows so patrons could see the beautiful underwater views of the Detroit River. It could be the new aquarium!

I think I'm on to something?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 932
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies wrote, "...the large factories that had no windows and large parking lots."

Modern factories hardly have any windows. But the old factories that were torn down in Detroit almost all had tons of windows-- much more than any mall. Many didn't have much in the way of parking lots, either, since lots of workers walked or rode the streetcar to them.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm already part of that organization and part of Detroiter's at Heart. I've given suggestions to city counsil about getting things restored to the way Belle Isle used to be. Deaf ears. If you are so concerned about the park, why don't we all get together and come up with that solution?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there already a tunnel to Belle Isle?

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did you not realize that almost all of us were being sarcastic as well?

Maybe instead of dumfuckistanYES.com it should be sarcasticstanYES.com

Bsarndt

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad, no there wasn't, I'm thinking of the tunnel that used to under Jefferson.

Stecks77

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bsarndt: its "I'm bad," not "My bad"

Bsarndt

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not up on the lingo, Stecks? It's "my bad." Or is that another attempt at bad sarcasm?

Stecks77

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just trying to encourage you to sound more intelligent.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the case, you are not the one that should be correcting everyone else.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just by reading the posts on this thread, it's clear that James Howard Kunstler was correct. We have truly forgotten how to build urban places in this country. A mall in a downtown? Welcome to 1985!

The whole way in which this question is posed is preposterous. A retail solution for Detroit goes way beyond "a mall or nothing". Unique? When was the last time you went into a mall that didn't have the same shit and sterile PRIVATELY-owned environment that every other mall has? "Shopping districts" aren't any better, because the term alone reeks of pretentious overplanning and artificial intrusions into the market.

Some of you folks are trying to run a marathon before you can even walk. I'm with Skulker on this one.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3764
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bsarndt, even if there wer the tiniest flicker of possibility of having a mall or any other commercial development on Belle Isle, which there is none, no developer would want to invest in what is essentially a dead street. Ditto for the riverfront. And if Belle Isle were ever sold off in whole or part, the values for residential development would be far more attractive.

If you were to posit some more realistic options, like siting a mall or amusement park near the corner of an expressway interchange where it could attract customers from the broader region, you could avoid some of the sarcasm and derision that your proposals beg.

For the immediate downtown that seems to be limited to the Lodge / I-75 / I-96 area with the Tiger stadium and land to the north being the most tempting. If the Red Wings left Joe Louis, that might be a possibility as it has parking, access and even a People Mover stop. The area east of Eastern Market has some possibility. But even those options are fraught with difficulties.

Personally I think a large mall would be counter productive to the development of downtown retail. If anything scattered small strip malls ala the Harbortown Market and Lafayette Park would better serve demand and add to neighborhood vibrancy.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But for everyone making a federal case of this particular question, I don't see anybody coming up with a better solution, just bashing the ones with the idea.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Lowell, I based my question on a "better solution" theory. So even if my idea seems far fetched, I would like to know what would be some ideas to revitalize downtown.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always had an idea to put an Observatory in Detroit. It would lead to the sort of 21st Century Jobs that we need.

I thought it might go well on the Hudsons site, but maybe that site is better suited for Nissan's Headquarters.

Maybe the Observatory could go on Belle Isle attached to the proposed mall.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schitt yeah! Build that schitt up!

Club_boss

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Every Idea Pans Out…

Back I the day there was this idea floated to turn the old Union Station in downtown Indy into a “Festival Marketplace.”

It supposedly was the perfect location.

Money was poured into the project with both hands. Something around 100 or 200 million dollars.

Planning was second to none.
The planners figured that Union Station would attract people within a 300-mile radius; that would include Chicago and Detroit. "It would busy every night, we're going to popping champagne every night."

There was a Holiday Inn hotel, using Pullman Cars, still on the tracks, which are (to this day) sold as suites.
The “Grand Hall” where I worked was a beautiful Romanesque style building, more like a work of art.

April of 1986 was the grand opening.

I want to say 70 plus restaurants were up @ trackside, 3 or 4 nightclubs, plus on the main level was an assortment of what I will call quirky shops, for example a left hander shop, a store for left handed people. There was no “anchor store.”

The first 90 days were a blur, after that business started to fall off.

The restaurant I worked in (which I had invested just about every dime I had) closed @ 90 days.

Slowly each and every business closed or changed hands until it was obvious that Union Station was doomed (like the video game)

It struggled through what was left of the 80’s; some blamed the Circle Center mall for it’s eventual demise, however it was dead (dieing) way before the mall came into the picture.

So this 800-pound gorilla sits empty, for the most part, the holiday Inn (Crown Plaza) is still open and there are a half dozen or so “tenants,” (I use that term loosely) including, Bands of America, Consulate of Mexico, Indiana Museum of African American History, Japan-America Society of America, the Pacers academy and one lone restaurant.

They tried and failed, so did I, but we did try.

Even the best laid plans don't work out as planned.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, put an observatory in a city with one of the worst light pollution problems because of the sprawl, happens to be in one of the cloudiest states in the country and has an altitude of a mere 600 feet. Yeah that's going to be a really successful venture.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear that, Club_boss, I feel for you. That must have been rough. And you are correct, that sometimes plans don't work out. But sometimes plans DO work out. But giving up (and I hope you haven't) isn't the solution. "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." I know that maybe easy for me to say, because I haven't invested in a lot of worthwhile things...yet. But I believe, and that's what counts. Hope your dreams weren't entirely dashed.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2208
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've always had an idea to put an Observatory in Detroit. It would lead to the sort of 21st Century Jobs that we need.

I thought it might go well on the Hudsons site, but maybe that site is better suited for Nissan's Headquarters.

Maybe the Observatory could go on Belle Isle attached to the proposed mall.

Every once in a while you are pretty funny.

Well twice.

The first observatory post. And now this one.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bsarndt, even though we think your idea is really stupid doesn't mean any of us have given up. We're just putting our efforts into things that can be and are successful.

If you'd read the forum, you'd see the things other forumers have accomplished.

These include starting new businesses, developing new neighborhoods, starting interesting events and rehabilitating downtown buildings.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4063
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason for the skepticism on the mall idea is that a newbie comes up with this same idea every 3 or 4 months. You go back... you will find years worth of newbie inspired mall threads for downtown.

Maybe we should start a NEWBIE WARNING LIST of things that have been discussed Ad Nauseum here on this forum... over and over again...

1) Mall downtown.
2) Any use for Belle Isle besides as a park.
3) Super tall skyscrapers downtown.
4) Turning the Michigan Central Depot into a Casino or convention center/hotel.
5) Places to put a new hockey arena.
6) Moving Cobo instead of expansion at current site.
7) Expanding People Mover to New Center.
8) A Detroit Subway System.
9) A new Quicken Headquarters on Grand Circus Park.
10)A tall skyscraper for the Hudson site.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about creating neighborhoods for people to live in on the water? Last time I looked people were willing to pay large premiums to get waterfront views.

Why should the rich people get to live by the water? The new projects being developed by Dave Bing and Dwight Belyue should be given to people who need affordable housing so they have a nice place to live too. And the rest of the buildings between E. Jefferson and the river should all be demolished and the city should plant grass. That way the people who are driving in their cars on E. Jefferson can see the pretty water. People in cars deserve nice views. Also, Detroiters can then sit on the grass near the water. Why hasn't this been done yet?

Swingline
Age 9

P.S. A downtown mall with the traditional anchor tenants, etc. is a non-starter unless about 50,000 households with bachelor degrees and six figure incomes are beamed into a five mile radius of the area from Mars in the next year or so.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheesecake Factory

Bsarndt

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what might that be, Ndavies? What efforts have you made successful? There are no stupid ideas - just stupid people who call other peoples ideas stupid. First and foremost, I wasn't referring to the forum as a whole, I was referring to Boss. I know people have accomplished many things in this city, on this forum - that's the point I'm making.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are no stupid ideas

No. There are indeed stupid ideas. Some very, very stupid ideas.

And this is clearly near the top of the list.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Ndavies! If the observatory is such a stupid idea what have you done?

Dabirch

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. Now it is three Sharmaal.

Just stop it.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than the big jumbo ass check I need to write in the next couple of months, Obviously nothing lately. :-)

Urbanize

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cheesecake Factory"

Got that right. Can't wait til they open inside the Book.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1) Mall downtown.
2) Any use for Belle Isle besides as a park.
3) Super tall skyscrapers downtown.
4) Turning the Michigan Central Depot into a Casino or convention center/hotel.
5) Places to put a new hockey arena.
6) Moving Cobo instead of expansion at current site.
7) Expanding People Mover to New Center.
8) A Detroit Subway System.
9) A new Quicken Headquarters on Grand Circus Park.
10)A tall skyscraper for the Hudson site."

As a relative noob to posting on this site... Here's my take/what I've learned from your list:

1) Self sufficient mega-complexes are counterproductive to the development of a vibrant downtown. That being said, I think the Eaton Center (Or whatever its called) in Toronto is beautifully integrated into the city.
2)Bell Isle is a beautiful park that should remain a park. Other uses (theme park, mall) are dumb.
3)Can we fill out our 20 story abandoned buildings first?
4) Every new project apparently belongs in that building.
5) We'll probably find out when everybody else does.
6) Lets not spend millions to demolish more stuff and just fix what we have.
7) This just delays our inevitable need for something good with something really stupid.
8) shockingly expensive and unnecessary.
9) Wouldnt it be nice if we were older? then we wouldnt have to wait so long.
10) apparently its site capacity is not that tall unless a builder ripped out the underground structure and started over. Who cares.... Ten stories of occupied space would be a landmark development for downtown.

Have I covered everything?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

put in an Abercrummie and Fitch and close the Scummerset one and the masses will come downtown

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, would a mall downtown be a good idea. All you have to do is look at all the other cities in Michigan that have built downtown malls..all failures. As far as big city examples that are close by, you have the Water Tower Place and Chicago Place in Chicago. The Water Tower place is doing okay, but that's only because its along touristy Michigan Ave and people go there regardless. It's also a convenient place for Chicago's thousands of downtown residents to buy stuff without having to drive too far out to a suburban shopping mall. But Detroit doesn't have those residents. The Chicago Place is perhaps the biggest failure along Michigan Ave. Floors 4-7 are pretty much empty. The only real succesful thing is the food court on the top level where downtown workers can get a quick bite to eat.

In Cincinnati, they have a shopping center attached to Carew Tower. The thing is, it has pretty much turned into one giant food court over the years, servicing downtown workers who get there by a series of skywalks. Stores? They are sort of RenCen style. Card shops, pseudo convenience store, gift shops, etc.. Oh and there is a TJ max, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me ask a question? If everyone, or "newbies" as you put it, come in here every 3 to 4 months and suggest malls, use for Belle Isle, etc., might you think that may be a growing mass in Detroit if it keeps getting mentioned? Hmm.

Club_boss

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are valid points that have been raised in this thread, whether they have been discussed prior to this or not, it's still an interesting thread.

I don’t believe simply because an idea or thought that has been raised in a previous thread, said subject is now off limits because the “newbie’s” (caps off) are having another discussion on a matter which has already been brought up.

Typically there is money on the sidelines, waiting for that one good offer.

Many of the concerns that have come up in this thread, while not expressed as diplomatically as they could have been, are valid points.

My ventures today are restricted to established businesses

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"9) Wouldnt it be nice if we were older? then we wouldnt have to wait so long."

That's rich! I'd like to follow that with...

Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true

Bsarndt

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If retail was doing so well downtown, we would not need to talk about revitalization. Obviously retail isn't doing as well as people are making it. Most have left the city, and true that is due to the economy, I'll give you that. How about luring 21rst Century companies into downtown to help spawn economic growth. Maybe that's where we need to start.

Danindc

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As opposed to 19th Century or 20th Century companies, of course. Screw the Robber Barons!

Urbanize

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think we've been trying to do all this time Detroit has existed as a major city. People choose to avoid Detroit. We can't help that.

Bsarndt

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can we do to make Detroit a city to come to? This is what we as citizens need to investigate. Maybe that is the hardest thing to propose.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You new folks do have many good ideas, and don't be discouraged by some of the negative responses that you often get on this forum.

Maybe we've got some old timers that need to up their meds! I know I have! :-)

But don't let it disillusion you!!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bsarndt, if you were more specific about where to put the mall, then perhaps you wouldn't get the backlash. Where are you suggesting that a mall on the riverfront go?

I have a few locations in which I think a mall could go in Detroit. They depend on a lot of ifs, but if all the cards were lined up then it's possible.

The first site would be at Cobo Hall. If a decision was made to build a new convention center elsewhere, then the vacant Cobo Hall would be a good place to put a downtown mall. No additional parking would be needed because Cobo has both roof-top and underground parking and enough square footage for many stores.

The second site for a downtown mall would be on the Hudson's site. Clearly, it would have to be a vertical mall, but they have two or three in Chicago and they appear to work, at least Water Tower Place. Also, there is underground parking available at the site.

Anothere site for a mall in Detroit, but not downtown, would be the current General Motors/Poletown plant. If GM ever vacated the building, that would be the perfect spot for a mall. The square footage and available parking would be ideal and it is near two major freeways, I-94 and I-75. Also, the location is essentially at the center of Detroit.

Also, a mall in Detroit would have to have more one-of-a-kind stores, the kind you wouldn't find in the current suburban malls. If Detroit could convince a store like Dillard's or some other store not in the Detroit area, then that would be a plus. It would be equivalent to the situation that we have with the Hard Rock Cafe. Only one store in the entire Metro Detroit area.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 589
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manhattan Mall isn't doing too well either. Plus, all the major stores in there have other locations within a couple blocks.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 754
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If everyone, or "newbies" as you put it, come in here every 3 to 4 months and suggest malls, use for Belle Isle, etc., might you think that may be a growing mass in Detroit if it keeps getting mentioned? Hmm.

More like every newbie thinks they're first one think of the idea usually with no clue of what it takes to support a mall downtown. Maybe if you LISTENED you'd understand that that downtown malls fail more than they work and it's happened in cities with better downtowns than Detroit.

Danindc

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Manhattan Mall isn't doing too well either. Plus, all the major stores in there have other locations within a couple blocks.

The much-ballyhooed Tower City in Cleveland isn't doing so hot, and the Galleria is even worse. I believe City Center in Columbus closed outright. Malls are outdated ideas that have outlived their usefulness. Even suburban malls are dying like wildfire.

There is another thread today about a resurgence in St. Louis's downtown--check it out. DC has been very underretailed for some time--no thanks to Marion Barry's efforts to make downtown "offices only". We're finally starting to get some decent retailers in the CBD (and not just in Georgetown).

Malls are the antithesis of urbanity--let 'em stay in the burbs!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No a mall would not be good a strong retail giant like hudsons or 2 would be a good thing for Detroit. I dont know if somebody already said that. I have a a teacher who says that in the early 80's hudsons said that for a good tax break they would reinvest and update their building but the city said NO! is this true? if that happened Hudsons or Macys would still be there. I barely remember the building and that is only as a vacant building I wish I could have experienced that store.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malls are windowless buildings with entirely indoor uses. Why would you waste scarce riverfront real estate on something that doesn't take advantage of, you know, the riverfront.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3765
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Ndavies, what efforts have ~you~ made besides hazing the newbies? :-)

By that question being asked a certain unfamiliarity with forum is displayed.

Part of the nature of forums is that new peoples join all the time and inevitably ask questions that have been discussed in depth in the past, often several times.

You might not think that it would be the case, but that gets some veterans worked up and lead to ridicule. The result is either redux or exasperation, or a combination.

Someday someone will write the masterpiece of the new emerging cyber-psychology of social networking and these reactions will all become clear. Who knows, maybe it will come down the repressed a repressed memory of someone having their favorite dog hit by car in his or her youth.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, is the Hecht's store still open in downtown DC? When it was built in the late 80's, it was the first new department store built in the CBD of a major US city in something like 25 years. Do any other department stores remain?

Danindc

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dan, is the Hecht's store still open in downtown DC? When it was built in the late 80's, it was the first new department store built in the CBD of a major US city in something like 25 years. Do any other department stores remain?

Yes, Hecht's at Metro Center is alive and well--as the DC area's flagship Macy's store. A couple years ago, they added six(?) stories of office space to the top of the four-story store. While the sale to Federated was going through, the store underwent a complete renovation. I have to say, I like the Macy's product mix a little bit better.

The old Woodward and Lothrop (bounded by 10th, 11th, F, and G Streets) closed in 1999 or so, and bought by a developer. The building is nearing the end of its renovation, and currently holds offices and an H&M store. A West Elm store will open there in the summer, and Zara has committed to a second District location there.

There were a couple other department stores on F Street--Garfinckel's, and I forget the other one. Both of them have retail (Borders, Banana Republic) and restaurants and the ground floor and offices up above.

I suspect that part of the reason that Hecht's store is still there is precisely because of the new building. When the economy sucked (especially in the District) in the 1990s, the old building at 7th and F became an albatross. Downsizing to the newer building allowed them to reduce operating costs. That, and it doesn't hurt to have a direct entrance to your store from one of the busiest subway stations in the city.

Ironically, former Mayor Williams approached Macy's about leasing the old Woodward and Lothrop building. They refused, citing their existing store at Pentagon City, just across the river in Arlington.

Jelk

Post Number: 4302
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are no stupid ideas

newcoke

enron

autoworld

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc is right. The most comparable situation would be the two malls in downtown Cleveland, and while they're not derelicts, they certainly aren't roaring successes; the mix of stores doesn't draw anyone down there who wasn't there already.

Personally I think unique small retail ought to be helped along as much as possible. The irregular street layout, if it reached a certain critical mass of stores, would start to be seen as charming rather than frustrating--people would have the feeling of discovering something new around every corner. With the new condos going in west of Woodward, it could happen.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Someday someone will write the masterpiece of the new emerging cyber-psychology....

Although not a masterpiece, I found The Psychology of the Internet, by Patricia Wallace, very enlightening.

I thought I read somewhere that commercial mall developers themselves no longer feel the mall concept works in today's market. Does anyone else remember that? I can't find the article.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what follows is only one ma's opinion, so please be gentle.
Only one thing brings a city to life. That is people living there. A mall that people drive to will do nothing to help the area, IMHO.
To rejuvenate a neighborhood, people need to move into it. Gentrification is often considered an ugly word, but it does work wonders. I don't think Detroit has the wherewithal to entice enough people to move into town on its own. But in conjunction with the State and perhaps the feds, they could do it.
It would be a HUGE commitment, and perhaps politically unpopular to offer incentives to new residents, when current residents can barely get services. But, in the Long run it would work.
To be clear, Tax breaks are simply not enough to make it happen. But aggressive and innovative plans could. How about homesteading? yes Homesteading, as in you move in build a place AND STAY- and it's yours. How about NO TAXES for 20 years. And perhaps no utility charges.
These sound extreme, but, to really make Detroit work may take desperate measures.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we have to remember that a downtown is more then just shopping.

Yes shopping is important in making streetlife, etc.

But downtown is also about culture, commerce, etc.

And in the culture department, Detroit's restored theatres are doing wondering in bringing people back downtown.

Michigan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems true miket

Urbanize

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You miss some Jelk

-KFC
-Wal-Mart
-NYSE

There are many more also.

Jelk

Post Number: 4308
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New York Stock Exchange is a bad idea?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a interesting conflict. It is managing very well to get thousands of people downtown for numerous reasons,, sports, meals,, entertainment, festivals etc,, and now even to live along with those of us who live here now Downtown.. Oddly retail cannot survive, makes one wonder if its because the retail, if it materializes needs to be interlinked to these various event areas as well as the office towers and downtown populations, This is where urban planning comes in , and we seem to lack it. Also, the retail must be good retail, the type that foot traffic of all types are interested to view and feel safe at the same time. Another idea is to cover the outside walking areas to protect against the elements and make the shopping areas more user friendly..You do not have the "mall" feel yet you have people who congregate under the covered areas and inturn go in stores to shop, I believe Milwaukee and small parts of Montreal have done this quite successfully.

Urbanize

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, it was the root culprit to the great depression and caused many businesses to go bankrupt.

Jelk

Post Number: 4309
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm...that is about as historically inaccurate as an analysis of the Great Depression could possibly get.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would give this advice. Milwaukee built a mall downtown in the 80's, when nobody lived downtown. To shop there, you had to go out of your way to buy something downtown. You really had to want to support downtown to go and do that. Not to mention, the store were selling luxury things, stuff people didn't really need. After 3 years it was nearly empty.

Downtown Milwaukee now has several thousand residents and needed a mall or some kind of retail. The mall is alive and well today but only because of the nearly 10K middle class people living close to it.

If you're going to build a successful mall downtown.

-There needs to be a large middle class population. Substantial, not 2 or 3 thousand.

-There need to be anchor stores with stuff people need. Grocery stores or stores like Marshalls. Clothes and such. You can add luxury stores later but get a base established.

-pedestrian friendly is more important than parking. Most people downtown are going to be walking or biking, don't worry about parking as suburbanites are going to be a small part of your customer base.

-attach to hotels to get more stores. Have a food court or other stores for visitors or businessmen to go to.

Sharmaal

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee. That is the first time you've posted something that made sense. Keep breathing oxygen buddy. It's good for you.

Urbanize

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ummm...that is about as historically inaccurate as an analysis of the Great Depression could possibly get."

What I meant about it was, if it never had come into existance, our grand and great grandfathers would not have put all their money in there or in other words, poor speculation for greed.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also like to say, don't build a mall. I think street level retail is far more important. It's better for a downtown to have streets lined with shops and cafe's rather than having everything concentrated into a big box. Work on improving downtown block by block before planning a mall.

Doesn't downtown Detroit already have the winter garden? Why the hell would there be any need to build a new mall on the river?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Milwaukee is vastly different from downtown Detroit.

For starters, Milwaukee has Marquette University--a targeted college for the kids of New York City types who lavish their spoiled kids with overly generous allowances. These kids live nearby downtown and are a stable customer base. They don't have cars and are stuck with downtown shops.

Still, the Grand Avenue project a quarter-century ago never caught on to anything resembling a critical mass of Milwaukee's townies. The biggest blame was that the urban planners back then who brought Milwaukee the Urban Renewal disasters of the 1960s and 1970s then made downtown very car-unfriendly. Ever seen a lead balloon soaring to great heights?

Anyway, another generation of brilliant urban planners now busted up the roadblocks of yore and even allowed cars downtown. What a novel idea! It's not hard to imagine that this would help business. But having the merchants there in Milwaukee prosper. Hardly, it's all relative and compared to the dismal past. When more stores come on the scene, that area will become over-stored as currently Madison is and the individual stores will earn less or lose more...

Stores in any market--whether a mall or otherwise--are only very profitable for a short time span and then they suffer relatively afterwards. I would take DY Milwaukee's pronouncements with a grain of salt. The good times are short and have long time intervals in between.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 05, 2007)

Jelk

Post Number: 4310
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What I meant about it was, if it never had come into existance, our grand and great grandfathers would not have put all their money in there or in other words, poor speculation for greed.

Yeah all those Okies had to leave their farms and look for work in California because they were overly leveraged in the stock market.

This is what Skulker means when he says Dumbfuckistan.

Michigan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee is different. 1st, it did not have a tremendous riot in 1967. And, it did not have quite the white flight that followed. It is not a company town. It still suffered through the last 30 years though. It now is doing very well, because ,in order of importance a) people live in town (the east side, the south side, the north side) b) the lakefront is really beautiful and accessible which invites even suburbanites to come c) people feel very safe walking around in downtown Milwaukee.
It has not gotten completely back to the glory of its heyday, but it is far nicer than St.Louis, Detroit, any city in upstate New York, etc.
Marquette is not big enough to anchor that city. Just as Yale can't anchor New Haven. The key is people live down town . Period. Don't put the cart before the horse, retail shops will not bring residents. Residents will attract business. It is how the free market works.
Just for clarity- I went to Marquette, and I am a New Yorker, and my parents did give me too much allowance. Marquette students patronise local campus businesses for 99% of their purchases, not down town businesses. Even with them, the area around Marquette was horrendous and growing worse. People were being shot, raped, robbed. Marquette finally bought everything, and I mean everything within four blocks of the campus and demolished the old structures and redeveloped. It is now a much cleaner, safer, albeit quieter, neighborhood.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2958
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Milwaukee is different. 1st, it did not have a tremendous riot in 1967...

Clueless, clueless, clueless! Milwaukee had its riot on the very same night as Detroit's. The National Guard was brought in. There were curfews for some days and nights, depending on proximity to the rioted area. And order was restored without many of its savages acting the ways theirs did in Detroit.

Just goes to show how little the above poster knows. A sensible reader wouldn't need to read any further. I didn't...

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on April 05, 2007)

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont understand the logic its not like GLC was in a very dense area...but with the "you build it they will come logic" that area is booming now. I believe the time is now...the buzz is hot Downtown is ready to blow.... If you did a trappers alley/sommerset type place in the old MGM with lots of freeway access...so the non-walkers dont get confused. I think it would be perfect.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Michigan!

My family is a huge Marquette Family. Uncles, aunts, grandparents, parents all went to Marquette. I love Marquette!

Thanks for the spreading the good word of Milwaukee.

Back to thread.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Clueless, clueless, clueless! Milwaukee had its riot on the very same night as Detroit's."

1. Milwaukee had 1 deaths
Detroit had 47 deaths

2. The actual violence only lasted 1 night.

3. It was very quickly contained and only affected roughly 6 square blocks of the near north side.

There was a riot, it was not tremendous.

Michigan

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean to flame anyone, but:

Liverspots I would guess you've never read anything to completion. For your own good I recommend that you start doing so. Also, work on your reading comprehension skills, so you can understand what little you do read.
I didn't say MKE had no rioting. I said it did not have a tremendous riot. That is the truth. So is everything else in the post, IMHO. Ad hominem attacks are the sign of a weak argument.

Detroiternthemist- I think you are talking about Great Lakes Crossing. If I am right then you have spent too much time in the mist and can no longer see clearly.
GLC is an outlet mall, like the ones in Kenosha WI, or Riverhead NY, or countless others. They are built on the edges of existing "exurbs" on cheap wide open land with lots and lots and lots of parking for people to come and buy what they think is discounted merchandise (that is a thread on its own). The exurbs then continue to grow around them . The people were going to move there anyway, just like in Gurnee,Illinois.
Maybe some people would want to condemn and demolish 20 square blocks of downtown Detroit and replace it with a Bass Pro Shop, a Johnny Rockets, and an ersatz antique merry-go-round (oh yeah, a huge parking lot too). Not me.I hope this clears up my earlier post.

Urbanize

Post Number: 607
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan, we already have a Johnny Rockets, try again.

Michigan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try what urbanize? What is your point? Please say something, anything,that adds to the discussion.
(By the way, do they serve Coneys at JRs?)
I'm sure you have ideas about what we are discussing. Saying that there is already a JR in Detroit neither refutes nor confirms my arguments. In fact, it is a red herring, another sign of a weak argument. No one seems able to argue the point that people need to live in a neighborhood to make it thrive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.