Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Whats the deal with north rosedale? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So whenever I drive through North Rosedale and I am alway amazed at how a street like stahelin can exist in such a prominent area. I know the housing stock isn't as great but why arent they treated like part of the community and held to such low standards?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sort of in the same situation as Seminole is in IV.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its more like fisher is to IV the houses are a whole different stock and at least 4 boarded up houses per block on the first 2 blocks south of Mcnichols.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But fischer isn't officially apart of IV.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out Urbanoutdoors:

New Homes Planned for North Rosedale Park:

"Three brand new homes are being planned for Stahelin Street in North Rosedale Park. The three-bedroom, two-bath colonial style homes will feature full basements, new appliances, attached garages and much more. Homes will be available to qualified low and moderate income buyers."

Found: http://www.grdc.org/id2.html

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 517
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to agree, the housing stock on Stahelin are small frame homes, much unlike the other blocks where the homes are beautiful large brick houses. Also it seems most of Stahelin's houses are rentals whereas the surrounding streets are mostly owner-occupied.

I don't think North Rosedale even considers that street part of it, as there are no signs advertising it as such.

I would be interested to find out what is the story behind that one block which sticks out like a sore thumb from it's neighbors. I would assume that it was a different developer than the rest of N.R.P.

(Message edited by detroitej72 on April 08, 2007)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the lot sizes on other surrounding streets were bigger before 1950 or what. Most houses on stahelin weren't built till then probably due to the war and the depression and by that time housing styles had changed. Thats just my assumption though. Thanks for the info by the way Quozl.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those houses look like shacks compared to the rest of Rosedale Park.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

27027750_0h.jpg this house on stahelin is going for 20000 in north rosedale clearly a different style then the typical rosedale house!

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been the eyesore of NRP since I got there in the late 80's. I too would love to know how it happened.

On a somewhat related note, do elementary schools statistically have much influence on surrounding land values? Cooke is at Stahelin and Puritan and the homes were a bit better in the vicinity.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those few blocks in N. Rosedale Park (yes, it's part of N. Rosedale) were built in the 1950-1960s, well after most of the neighborhood was built.

I've heard locals say that the area was home to a creek or stream before being covered and turned into a storm drain. There are historical records that a stream/creek used to run under Grand River where Outer Drive now crosses. This area wouldn't be out of the question to have that stream meandering through.

Another logical explanation is that the area was a marshy area (Artesian St. in Rosedale Park was named after the many artesian springs in the neighborhood).

These all line up with the fact that most of the houses on the street lack basements and evidence of water related problems can be found in many of the houses on that block: mold, failing foundations, etc.

As far as the Cooke School affect, it appears that most of the houses to the north of Puritan and the school were built long after the school was established. The houses closest to the school built in the 50s and 60s are certainly a lot better than the Stahelin houses, but still have an inferiority complex compared to the houses south of Puritan and to the west and east. It seems that these were built on the land that was slightly better for homebuilding than the blocks of Stahelin being questions.

The bottom line is that this block has been allowed to exist for far too long. It's as if N. Rosedale Park said "if we ignore it it won't exist". Thankfully someone realizes that it can't continue to exist, both for the benefit of those seeking quality, affordable housing as well as those seeking upscale housing.

MikeM can probably dig into his map collection to confirm the stream/spring/marshland theory.

Calling MikeM, Calling MikeM!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The build out of residential homes on Stahelin south of McNichols was complete by 1952.

See: http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/wayne/1952/de-26-92.p df

The 1949 aerial photograph indicates a substantial amount of homes were built too.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll speculate!

I have an old 1911 USGS map that shows a north-south street midway between Southfield and Evergreen. It shows some houses on it. That might be Stahelin. Maybe that street wasn't platted with the rest of Rosedale?

The map also shows a creek (a Campbell Creek tributary?) along the east edge of this road between Fenkell and Grand River.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.