Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Downtown --> Neighborhoods (redevelopment) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A one-paragraph 'case study' (from the Washington Post RE: D.C.):

"This dynamic is playing out across the city -- along Georgia Avenue in Northwest, around H Street in Northeast, near the new baseball stadium site across the river from Poplar Point -- as the government turns its attention to developing neighborhood corridors left behind during the economic renaissance that transformed the downtown core under [Mayor] Williams."

This paragraph summarizes what I think is the prototypical revitalization of urban cities.

The downtown core is saved and revitalized first. In Detroit's case it was sports and entertainment which helped turn around the CBD.

Then close in neighborhoods like Mid-town, river front, and some of the others I'm less familiar with (e.g., New Center, Woodbridge, etc.) redevelop.

My saying: "If there is no downtown, there can't be a Mid-town."

In essence, Mid-town is an appendage to downtown.

(Message edited by emu_steve on April 08, 2007)

(Message edited by emu_steve on April 08, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 752
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct. In the last mayoral election for the City of Detroit, I heard Mr. Hendrix speak at Detroit Mercy. I liked everything he said, except there was one comment that really bothered me. He said that Detroit needed to focus more on the neighborhoods than downtown. Honestly, I really thought that downtown was the place to start. It is what ties the entire city and metro area together. Certainly neighborhoods needs to be worked, but if you had to choose any one location, downtown it was for me.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree 100%, C'Paul.

This 'debate' goes out in a lot of cities which have spent much time, money and effort to revitalize their downtown.

I remember hearing it in Balto as they revitalized their Inner Harbor and many said, "What about the neighborhoods?"

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One location at a time, or we spread ourselves too thin and take on too much at one time.

Hopefully, revitalization will have a ripple effect!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

[Hendrix] said that Detroit needed to focus more on the neighborhoods than downtown. Honestly, I really thought that downtown was the place to start.

That's the difference between being a mayoral candidate and a city planner.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.