Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Obama and Edwards to skip Fox News presidential debate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so is this thing going to get canceled?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 70409/ap_on_el_pr/presidential _debate

(Message edited by thejesus on April 09, 2007)

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This pisses me off! Why make the people of Detroit suffer because they have a beef with a news station. Yes Foxnews is biased but this is a debate sponsored by the black caucus in a city with one of the highest black populations in the nation. I understand they're gonna debate in another one sponsored by the black caucus but i don't care they snubbed Detroit more than Foxnews. These are the same people who say they want open dialogue with Syria, Iran, and other nations that aren't friendly towards the U.S. but they won't even debate on a news station thats not friendly to their political party. Dennis Kucinch said it best when he talked about the importance of speaking to people who don't agree with you. I don't understand it. Who's writing the questions, Foxnews Or the black caucus?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count to ten Rockcity2windycity it helps....wushaa..

Thejesus

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rockcity:

I'm disappointed in this too, but I think your complaint is getting a little too subjective...no matter where the debate is held, skipping it will result in a someone getting snubbed...but you sound like you think they'd be more justified in skipping the debate if it were being held in, say, Denver instead of Detroit...

Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea i'm a homer. I enjoy seeing Detroit in a positive light on a national stage. The canceled debate in Nevada bothered me a little but this pisses me off because its in Detroit

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if Fox has a conservative bias and that is debatable, the candidates seem to be implying that they have no interest in speaking to a conservative audience.

This seems very arrogant, a president should represent everyone, not just those who agree with them. Republicans face liberal members of the media on a daily basis, it makes the Democrats look weak by backing out.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have no interest in speaking through a news organization that has no interest in fairness or balance. I applaud their decision.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 751
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever. They're loss come election time.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette -

You may be unfamiliar with the format of a presidential debate, but the candidates are asked questions and they state their positions and how they differ from the other candidates. The moderators do not interject their own opinions or criticize the candidates. There is no basis for their concerns other than they fear being asked more difficult questions then at a liberal network. This is cowardice of the first order.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I applaud the decision. Fox News chooses not to act like a proper news outlet, and now they aren't being treated like one.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox is the number 1 cable news network by far in terms of ratings, any candidate running for office worth their salt should want to reach that audience. The fact that they are recognizably American does not make them biased.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The co-sponsor of the event was the Congressional Black Caucus, are they biased too?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The canceled debate in Nevada bothered me a little"

I live in Nevada and it didn't bother me a friggin bit. I'm sick and tired of "the race for 2008" and I'll bet that 90% of the rest of America is too. I'll pick up interest a year from November.

Far as I'm concerned, neither party has a candidate worthy of being president.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All legitimate concerns, were these from news shows or from O'Reilly or Hannity and Colmes which provide news and opinion? Would you like me to provide you a few hundred examples of bias from ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and MSNBC?

http://www.mediaresearch.org/w elcome.asp

Johnlodge

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, I'm not stopping you.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I already did - just follow the link:

http://www.mediaresearch.org/w elcome.asp

Johnlodge

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww come on, those aren't NEARLY as fun as mine. The Charlie Daniels shot had to at least make you chuckle a little bit.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox News was a good idea at first. There is more subtle, yet obvious bias that comes from CNN, etc. But rather than take the high road and actually being "fair and balanced", Fox News took their agenda way too far, and for most middle of the road folks like myself, they are really a caricature of a "News" organization. On a scale of 1-100, CNN has a liberal bias of 10, Fox has a conservative bias of 100. I can't blame Democrats for pulling out of a debate on CLN (The Conservative Life Network, formerly Fox News), when they will just be slammed by CLN personalities for the following week. Detroit doesn't need its name attached to such a charade.

(Message edited by schulzte1 on April 09, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge -
It is funny, I do admit. There are alot of folks who agree with many of the statements on those screen shots, is it so terrible that those folks have 1 network to watch where they feel at home?

Schulzte1 -
There are plenty of liberals voices on Fox but I don't see too many REAL conservatives on the other networks. The conservatives are going to slam the libs and the libs like Kieth Olberman are going to slam the conservatives every day no matter who appears on what channel.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect-
Not at all. Just poking a little fun at Fox. All news outlets are biased in some way. I watch Fox, I listen to NPR, I read CNN online. I just try to figure out what's going on, and sometimes it can be pretty tough. I like some more than others, and I guess that's my bias.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for the lesson, Perfectgentleman! Golly, I had no idea!

Schulzte1

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG:
Even the weather guy on Fox talks trash about liberals. Come on, he's the weather guy. Alan Colmes is like the raw steak that is fed to the lions each night on Fox, he is simply manbait. Geraldo is Geraldo, he just doesn't really count. CNN is biased, but they don't make up ridiculous headlines like "Why do Republicans hate America?" and "Why Rush Limbaugh eats Babies" as seen above.

Thejesus

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word is that Hillary Clinton just pulled out of the debate as well ...

You can now consider this thing dead...

http://electioncentral.tpmcafe .com/blog/electioncentral/2007 /apr/09/hillary_pulls_out_of_f ox_cbc_debate

Johnlodge

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think this is clever. The Democrats are finally learning how to play politics. They KNOW their core constituency hates Fox News. Yes, Fox has high ratings, but the people who watch it regularly are not voting in the Democratic primaries! Well, except for people like me who watch it because I just have to see what they are up to. I don't think they are afraid, I think they are finally taking a damn stand. About time. Republicans have known how to play these kinds of games for years, they have Rove telling them how. Hate him or love him, he's a genius.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh please, the libs on all the other networks have been bashing Bush every day and night for 7 years, in many cases personally. Whether you think Bush is a good president or not, they are hardly objective.

Republicans appear on liberal programs every day and are slammed by the libs. I suppose they should stop coming on and we can all have our safe little worlds where nobody is challenged. How is refusing to face tough questions taking a stand?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 397
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a different strategy. Republicans rely very heavily on talking points. It doesn't matter to them where they are, since everyone in the party repeats the same talking points over and over almost verbatim, regardless of what question is asked. They are SO good at this, it's down to a science. They are able to get their message accross because they are a cohesive party, and always work together in this fashion. Doesn't matter if they are on Fox or NPR or whatever.

The stand I'm saying the Dems are taking here is showing their party something their party wants to see. The Republicans aren't afraid to take hard lines. What the Dems are doing is saying, look, we know you don't like this news station. We know you have a common rally cry that Fox News is conservative rhetoric. We are actually willing to be your party instead of trying to walk down the middle and appeal to as many people as we think we can, which has NOT been working for them as of late.

Like you were asking earlier, is it so wrong that people can watch a network where they feel at home? I said no. In the same way, hardcore Democrat voters want to feel at home with their candidates for once and not feel they are wish washy middle-ground walkers. The Fox News thing is a BIG issue with Dems, this is a simple publicity/politics stunt. See it for what it is, so you can know your enemy. Thats why I watch Fox, to know mine.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So any Democratic president does not represent me in any way, it is OK to ignore all concerns of those they don't agree with. I knew that already but it is nice to see you confirm it.

Democrats are the talking points crowd, that is why they don't want to appear on Fox because they may actually get tough questions.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Insane. Perfectgentleman, obviously a FOX News worshipper, will not let the facts get in the way of his truth. There is a reason "truthiness" was the word of the year. And it had nothing to do with the way news was presented on CNN or NPR.

Fantastic beliefs that come from the gut can in no way be debated. FOX News, and sources like it, preach a faith that you either believe in or do not.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you giggle out loud when you write total bullshit like that, PG?

I think the Republican candidates should boycott the other networks if they feel as you do.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So any Democratic president does not represent me in any way, it is OK to ignore all concerns of those they don't agree with. I knew that already but it is nice to see you confirm it. "

Actually, since you made your opinions so perfectly clear, I just knew it was a pretty safe assumption you weren't looking for any Democratic candidates to represent you. And I'm pretty sure it didn't take ME to confirm it for you.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't worship any media outlet. Just what are the "facts?" The fact that your bias should prevail over everyone else? The bias of the mainstream media is well-documented if you care to review it. Here is an example from a pollster that is certainly not conservative that shows that all media is perceived as bias by one side or the other.

Zogby Poll: Voters Believe Media Bias is Very Real

Quote:

"While 97% of Republicans surveyed said the media are liberal, two-thirds of political independents feel the same, but fewer than one in four independents (23%) said they saw a conservative bias. Democrats, while much more likely to perceive a conservative bias than other groups, were not nearly as sure the media was against them as were the Republicans. While Republicans were unified in their perception of a left-wing media, just two-thirds of Democrats were certain the media skewed right – and 17% said the bias favored the left."

So almost all Republicans, most independents, and even 17% of the liberals see a liberal bias in the media and you guys don't. I guess that puts you in the minority.

http://www.zogby.com/News/Read News.dbm?ID=1262

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop the crap. The Democrats didn't take the way too obvious bait. Give up. Move on.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop the crap? Give up? What bait? Did my factual data upset you folks again? Apparently the majority of the American people don't think media bias is crap.

If the people on Fox are just a bunch of right-wing idiots, what are the Democrats afraid of? Why wouldn't they want to go on there and show everyone how smart THEY are?

If they truly want to rid politics of all of the partisanship, as Barack Obama is always talking about, why avoid an audience that is on the other side of the fence?

Whoever wins the 2008 election will need to appeal to independents and even steal a few votes from the other side, it seems strategically dumb to pass up an opportunity to do that by reaching an audience that would not normally watch you.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on April 09, 2007)

Jimaz

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman, stay wrapped around the axle (if that's where you're comfortable) while you spin, spin, spin. America's moving on. Of what are the Republicans afraid? Hmmmmm?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of this refutes my theory that this is a politcal/publicity stunt to garner core support from the left. The left hates Fox News, and these candidates, by refusing to debate on their network, are drumming up a lot of praise from folks on the left who may be more inclined to vote Green or Independant if their candidates don't show them they are listening. There's proof enough even on this thread that some on the left think this is a great move.

As for bias in the media, I never denied it. In fact I think I said...

"All news outlets are biased in some way. I watch Fox, I listen to NPR, I read CNN online. I just try to figure out what's going on, and sometimes it can be pretty tough. I like some more than others, and I guess that's my bias."

Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there would be 3 moderators. One from foxnews, one from the CBC and one from a local station. If the moderators were Sean Hannity, Bill O. and John Gibson i could understand why they would pull out i don't think they're afraid of tough biased questions because there won't be any. The CBC is sponsoring the debate, if anything it should be a cake walk. This is the democrats sticking it to foxnews to satisfy their base. There's nothing wrong with that but i think its a stupid move. I don't see how they can keep up this boycott of fox in the general election. I'm suprised noone else is upset they're not coming to Detroit. It would've been great to have political superstars like Obama and Clinton in the city of Detroit. Questions are usually asked about the city where they're holding the debate. It would've been nice to hear their detailed opinion about Michigan and Detroit instead of a 10 second soundbyte. Looks like everyone is towing the party line and missing the bigger issue for us. This would've been great for the city.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz - Your responses are nonsense. You now claim to speak for all of America. Do you think that voting for a relic of the past like Hillary is "moving on?" She will more than likely lose.

Rockcity2windycity - You make excellent points regarding the CBC and the debate being held in Detroit. I would have thought it would have showed some solidarity with labor and all of that stuff.

The sad fact is that the Democrats take the Michigan/Union vote for granted because they vote Democrat no matter what so they probably feel it isn't worth the effort.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman, Your responses are nonsense. You now claim to speak for all of America.

Of what are the Republicans afraid? Hmmmmm?

Move on.

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 10, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz -
Give me examples of Republicans avoiding debates on liberal networks and maybe you will have some credibility. If they do, I would condemn them equally.

This is nothing new for libs, Al Gore refuses to debate anyone who disagrees with his global warming hysteria, Jimmy Carter refuses to debate Alan Dershowitz over Carter's recent Jew-hating book, and now the libs run and hide from Fox News and shit on the Congressional Black Caucus and Detroit in the process and all you can say is move on.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3775
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...the people of Detroit suffer because they have a beef with a news station".

News station? Did you call Fox a news station?

Buuuh - waahhh - ha ha

Fox is an entertainment station that makes money by steaming up angry, frustrated men.

And, to their credit, they do it well.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman, give me examples of the administration avoiding debates with anyone. That should be easy, for even you, since it's widely known that they avoid debates with absolutely everyone.

Of what are the Republicans afraid? Hmmmmm?

Keep wrapping around that axle! spin, spin, spin!

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 10, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz -
As I recall, Bush attended all of the presidential debates and holds news conferences with reporters that are hostile to him on a regular basis.

I don't spin, that is your bit. The libs can shit in your cereal and you will eat it. Keep voting for those morons as they slowly destroy this state. If the Republicans do stupid shit I call them on it. I am a Conservative first, not a partisan Republican.

Lowell -
As Fox News is the highest rated cable NEWS network and the majority of the American public believes the mainstream media is liberal, your opinion is not reflected in large numbers in the nation. What you believe Fox News is or isn't is not relevant anyway.

The CBC and Fox scheduled a debate in this city and the Democrats all walked away from it and gave the excuse that Fox was running it. So once again the plight of Detroit and our state will go unheard and you are OK with that.

You all know damn well the debate would have been run in a professional manner, it isn't like they were going to have Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity up there attacking the candidates, the candidates showed their cowardice and disdain for this state.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6703
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG, the candidates wouldn't show if Ann Coulter & Sean Hannity were even writing the questions - they couldn't handle it.

You've put up excellent points, but this blockhead crowd won't buy unless spoonfed by liberal whacks. Save your breath - they'd rather believe the gospel according to Dan Rather than listen to their own candidates (who they seem to think capable of running the country) handle questions on FoxNews. The GOP seems to do quite well despite the liberal bias in the media.

Remember, these are the folks that supports the dismemberment of live children. You won't get far with logic.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox News is simply a new (TV) version of an old tradition: The Party Organ; News source of the faithful and the delusional.

Many countries have such news sources: Here's a few of my favorites:
El Alcazar: Official Organ of Francoist Spain.
(Unfortunately, due to sagging sales, the paper ceased publication in 1988, but Spain's ever shrinking far right can still be counted on to come up with pearls of wisdom. The most recent example was the Madrid Train Bombing, which these folks insist was the work of ETA).

Granma, the official organ of the Communist Party of Cuba:
http://www.granma.cu/INGLES/

The New Light of Myanmar, the official organ of the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) aka, the Military Dictatorship of Burma.

http://www.myanmar.com/newspap er/nlm/index.html

(always good for lots of pictures of military guys standing there looking at things)

The Turkmenistan Press (sorry, not available in English)
http://www.tmpress.gov.tm/

Zimbabwe Newspapers:
http://www.zimpapers.co.zw/sit e.aspx?SectId=17

Siempre! party organ of The PRI of Mexico:

http://www.siempre.com.mx/

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if Fox has a conservative bias and that is debatable.

It is?

Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Hillary is out. Has this debate been canceled yet?

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl - You are so right - thanks.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Remember, these are the folks that supports the dismemberment of live children"

I live for it, actually. So good with a little paprika.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many people overseason, Johnlodge.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a tender meat redfordette. You really don't need to add much. Now if you excuse me, I must go convince some young women to supply me with lunch tomorrow. Cuz thats what us liberals do.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm behind you 100%!

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it. If the democrats want to win the election, shouldn't they be doing their best to get in front of a more conservative audience? What good is preaching to the choir? You can't convert someone twice.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if there was a Ku Klux Klan network, they should go on that too?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andysrc, there are quite a few people on the far left who are fed up with the Dems because they don't stand up for things they claim to believe in. Those people feel the Dems are too busy catering to the middle ground, so they end up voting Green or Independent and splitting the vote. The Republicans aren't afraid to cater to the far right, and it has worked for them.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the end this is better for the Republicans anyway. One of the mistakes made by Kerry in the last election is that he would avoid venues where he would get tough questions as well. After he was nominated, he made some major gaffs and the swift boat boys crucified him.

By then it was too late for him, he had the nomination although many libs had buyers remorse. It is far better to put your candidate through the gauntlet earlier on to determine if they can handle the tough questions that they won't be able to avoid during the debates and the general election campaign.

Will Hillary hold up in the long run? Hard to say because she is very scripted and hasn't faced a tough interviewer in years. I would think strategically it would be better to know that answer now because she is going to be attacked on a scale that has never been seen before, and rightly so.

If any of these candidates went on Fox and performed well, it could only help them. Clearly though they would rather play it safe and pander to the base. They also get to avoid any uncomfortable questions relating to the plight of the auto industry, something that definitely would have come up with the debate being here.

As they have no answers for that because their party is advocating policies that will only harm the domestic auto industry further, I guess they figure it is best to bail out. It is working well for now as you are all cheering them on for being cowards, but in the long run it could be harmful.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on April 10, 2007)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we talking about the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) or CBS? I suspect the answer is the latter....

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are talking about the Congressional Black Caucus.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please carry on then....

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You want a bunch of democrats to go on a station that supports a core constituency that got there ass handed to them in November.
Besides, John Bolton was pretty specific in stating that the President should support those that voted for him. Screw what Lincoln had in mind.
I think Franken covered the media bias best in The Truth (with Jokes).
Calling Fox News is like calling wrestling a sport.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Democratic candidates gone that drops the number of viewers in detroit to around, umm, 2.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5781
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox news is a conservative biased media network. With conservative viewpoints. I'm glad that Obama and Edwards choose to skip Neo-Con T.V.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6706
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many, many Dems are on FoxNews regularly. The ones that wish to censor what they are asked avoid the place. Hillary, Franken, Obama, Teddy, etc all steer clear.

Now that he's out of the woods and has a book to promote, John Kerry & Mrs Ketsup appeared on O'Reilly the other night. Nice softball questions and answers. Too bad Bill didn't ask under which political party Mrs Ketsup's fortune was grown (R)

Now with Hillary issuing guidelines as to "acceptable" questions, we won't be seeing her on FoxNews anytime soon, even with Colmes. Oh well, her loss.

Keep canceling those opportunities to get to the truth. The voters can figure it out, eventually. Some enterprising reporter will eventually get Hillary on the griddle and ask about those billing records that went missing for 2 years and finally showed up - in the White House. Too funny - yet some want her as prez.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 469
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 final points:

1. 2/3 of Fox's viewers are not Republican.

2. Consider the mentality of a party that promotes dialog with the enemies of this nation, but refuses to debate the issues before AMERICANS they do not agree with.

Thejesus

Post Number: 889
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Consider the mentality of a party that promotes dialog with the enemies of this nation, but refuses to debate the issues before AMERICANS they do not agree with."

uh, they wouldn't be debating the issues with Fox News or with its viewers...the event is merely hosted by Fox...the Dems simply chose not to do Fox a favor by showing up at the debate they wanted to sponsor, and instead are attending several other debates

(Message edited by thejesus on April 11, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 470
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus - That is why I said they would be debating the issues BEFORE Americans they don't agree with, as in "in the presence of." Uh, learn to read.

They were pressured by those who hate Fox News:

Clinton, Obama pull out of Fox debate
By UPI Staff
United Press International
April 11, 2007

WASHINGTON (UPI) -- U.S. Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama will not participate in a Fox News presidential debate in September.

The online group Moveon.org and other liberal activists urged Democratic presidential candidates to skip Fox debates, The Washington Post reported Tuesday. Former U.S. John Edwards, D-N.C., had already announced he wouldn't participate in the debate, which is co-sponsored by the Congressional Black Caucus. The liberal activists charge that Fox is biased against Democrats.

Obama, D-Ill.; Clinton, D-N.Y.; and Edwards will participate in a debate that the Congressional Black Caucus is co-sponsoring with CNN in January in South Carolina, campaign aides told the Post.

"CNN seemed like a more appropriate venue," Obama spokesman Bill Burton told the Post.

U.S. Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, D-Md., who used to head the caucus, told the Post Obama's decision was "unfortunate."

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate that Detroit suffers because of this, but they're right boycotting Fox News. Now I wish other people did the same.

For those that don't know:
http://www.foxattacks.com

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9349
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, because there is no liberal media bias either.
This whole hype for 2008 is dumb anyway. Wait until the presidential elections and then let us hear the real debates. This is just PR gone berserk.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all of those candidates are garbage anyway

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9351
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^explain?^^

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

none of them have any suitable experience to be president. they are newbies, i mean is the democratic party even seriously considering obama or clinton to get the nomination? what a joke.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 612
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a Hillary fan but... She has more qualified experience than any candidate of either party by virtue of Bill alone. Much more than Dubya had...

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is FOX even really a news channel? Most of their programming is opinion oriented and infotainment. Its not hard news.

I dont blame them for boycotting the yellow journalism of FOX. As many vicious lies as FOX has said about Obama and Edwards, they'd be foolish to attend.

BTW- there is no liberal media. The so called "liberal media" is owned by conservative corporations and run by conservative CEOs. Its just another republican tin foil hat conspiracy theory.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsuperfly - Do you watch Fox News?

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Occasionally. I enjoy watching the veins in Bill O'Reilly's neck pop out from rage.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox news is a joke. I wrote that off a few years back. The most accurate is CNN, even they sip the kool-aid as well occasionally.

Sadly, I trust Canada's news more. Then world news sources. Oh I know, they're all a bunch of liars.. This darn global conspiracy to defame us.

Fox and others have even brainwashed folks into thinking the UN is somehow biased against us.. LOL

Thejesus

Post Number: 902
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I flip back and forth between Fox and CNN...Fox isn't bad so long as you realize you're watching an EXTREMELY opinionated version of the news...the worst in terms of bias are those three clowns they have on there in the morning...at least Bill and Sean acknowledge that what they say is merely their right-leaning opinion...

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsuperfly -
Well for someone who doesn't watch it maybe you could tell me how you know that they have said "vicious lies" about Edwards and Obama?

As I pointed out earlier, the majority of the citizens in this country recognize liberal bias in the media, Fox may lean the other way, but there is no "objective" media. By your logic I guess Republicans should stop appearing on every station BUT Fox.

You say it is "opinionated" because it doesn't happen to fit your opinion which you feel is fact. Our own opinions of what is "bias" or not is affected by our own bias! As a Conservative, I don't see Fox as pro-right wing, it is more pro-American in terms of its war coverage. Someone who is left-leaning has a left-wing point of reference so of course they would see Fox as bias just as I see the other networks as liberally biased.

Schulzte1

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG-
Aren't there oodles of venues for you to spread your support of the Conservative Life Network (occasionally referred to as Fox News Channel)other than here? This is a Detroit topics board, and though sometimes we get off topic, you have taken this thread completely out the the Detroit context and completely in to the 24/7 spin zone that is the Conservative Life Network.

Thejesus

Post Number: 903
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perfect gentlemen...

there are different degrees of bias in the news...if networks like CNN are really left-leaning, I think consensus is that Fox is skewed further to the right than the other networks are to the left...i.e., they tend to weigh in with their "opinion" a lot more rather than just reporting on what happened...you may not agree with that, but that seems to be the general view

(Message edited by thejesus on April 12, 2007)

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

***Well for someone who doesn't watch it maybe you could tell me how you know that they have said "vicious lies" about Edwards and Obama?
Nice spin on what I said, imperfectgentlemen. I said I watch it occasionally. SOmehow oyu interpreted it as NEVER.

*As I pointed out earlier, the majority of the citizens in this country recognize liberal bias in the media,

Really? So you naively think that the "Biased liberal media" which is owned by conservative corporations, with conservative CEO's, jsut out of the kindness of their hearts, lets liberal reporters do whatever they want with their multi-billion dollar investment?

Take off the tin foil hat!

*By your logic I guess Republicans should stop appearing on every station BUT Fox.

No, that was not my logic at all, that is your straw man agument.

*You say it is "opinionated" because it doesn't happen to fit your opinion which you feel is fact.

Another straw man argument. I prefer Lehrer News Hour. It has no bias. I'm not even particularly liberal. I vote independent.

*As a Conservative, I don't see Fox as pro-right wing, it is more pro-American in terms of its war coverage

So pro-American is to support a war even though it counter productive?

71% of Americans are anti-Iraq war. In your logic, they are anti-American.

*just as I see the other networks as liberally biased.

Only cause truth has a liberal bias

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on April 12, 2007)

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other think Imperfect- you whine that this will hurt the dems like Kerry avoided events with tough questions.

Yet you ignore that Bush only appeared at rallies where people had to sign loyalty oaths.

Hypocrisy, thine name is republican!

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on April 12, 2007)

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Consider the mentality of a party that promotes dialog with the enemies of this nation, but refuses to debate the issues before AMERICANS they do not agree with.

YOu mean like BUsh gave republicans his blessings to visit Syria?

OUCH! Slapped down SOOOOO hard!!!!!

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truth has a liberal bias? Outta here...

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A truly great Democrat by the name of Harry Truman said "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." Apparently Edwards and Obama ( and Hillary?) will sit this one out in the living room.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.