Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Biddle House « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Histo ric%20Detroit%20hotels/biddleh ouse.jpg[/IMG]

The Biddle House at Randolph and Jefferson was built in the late 1850s by Maj. John Biddle, the fourth mayor of Detroit. As the years passed and business moved uptown, the hotel was closed for a time. It found an unexpected use when, on Jan. 27, 1893, fire destroyed the old Capitol High School on Capitol Square. For several months following, the high school was held in the Biddle House.
On Aug. 12, 1865, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, then the idol of the nation, visited Detroit with his wife and their four children. The city turned out to welcome him, and the reception was held in the Biddle House.
A large part of the property, east of Randolph, was acquired by the Krolik Corp., whose building was erected on the site. The remaining portion was razed in December 1937 for - you guessed it - a parking lot.

Source: Freep

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on April 10, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 650
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else have old photos of this place? I'd really like to see some of U.S. Grant there.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is: Why is it called a house when it is so huge? why wasn't it the Biddle Building?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.