Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Memorial weekend??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont understand why there isnt any thing booked for any venues in Detroit, other than a tiger game and the DSO for Saturday May 26th (Memorial day weekend). There is nothing scheduled for The Fox, State, Gem, Opera House,Masonic temple or even the Fisher theater for that evening! As you all know I will be in town that weekend. I was hoping to take my partner to a nice dinner at the Whitney, then to maybe a play at the Fisher, or something at the Fox, but there is NOT ONE THING scheduled for any venue in Detroit for that HOLIDAY weekend! Im certainly not going to dress for dinner at the Whitney then go in our suits to HART plaza! Whats up with this? You would think as busy as its suppose to be that weekend there would be SOMETHING!! And sorry, Im not a symphony guy so thats out. The tiger game? Eh would ranther do something upscale and nice for my partners first time in the city.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6233
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well don't bother going to the Whitney, it's closed.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/93317.html

I'm sure the DEMF at Hart Plaza accounts for the lack of events downtown that weekend.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone goes up north that weekend.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 763
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5/97359.html

According to this, it has already reopened.

Sorry for the bad link.

(Message edited by SCS100 on April 10, 2007)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6234
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From scs's link:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070320/FEATURE S02/70320027

Disregard my post about it being closed. :-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Aiw. Should just posted that! :-)

Exmotowner

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just find it hard to belive that nothing is booked for that weekend? Seems like as bad as the city is hurting they would want to give people a reason to come downtown. Should we take Rjlj's advice and just go up north? Hmmm makes ya wonder! Were staying downtown with nothing to do but go to Hart plaza and listen to music we dont even like. HMMMMMM

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats one thing I will not miss, The grand race up 75 to the North. What a nightmare that always was.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try a museum...
http://www.detroitsciencecente r.org/events/OurBody_exhibit.h tm

Eastern Market will be booming with spring time flowers.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"symphony guy" or not-- the DSO concert that weekend is going to be SWEET. the conductor (oundjian) and the soloist (pianist bronfman) are both great and the pieces they're doing are anything but boring or stale.

try it, you might like it...

Exmotowner

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres no way in HELL you would drag me to the DSO. Sorry. No I wouldnt like it. Not unless maybe Gladys or Patty were singing with them. And my husband wouldnt go! NO WAY! NO HOW! Im almost 50 years and and I know by now what I like and dont and the symphony is a DONT LIKE! I would just as soon you take me out behind Orchestra hall and just beat me to death!

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please while we are all celebrating a day off of work, getting away, or just spending time with friends and family.

Let's all just stop and reflect on the reason for this holiday.

Let's remember those who gave their life for our freedoms, not only those who died in combat but all those in uniform who passed away while in service. (Health, natural causes, or accidents)

I know more service members who have died from non-combat deaths then ones that were combat related.

Let's remember the families who gave the ultimate sacrifice of a loved one.

We need to support the Gold Star families any way we can.

(If you don't know what a Gold star family is look on a veteran organization’s web site)

http://www.legion.org/
http://www.amvets.org/
http://www.vfw.org/

Even if you are not a member there are ways you can help.

If you are a vet and not a member you need to join one of the above.

Just my two cents worth.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ex-

I can offer you something to do during the daytime if you are into history and the resurrection of a part of this city that is important to all-a grand tour of Fort Wayne! There is a "Fort Wayne through the Ages" living history weekend event planned and run by the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition May 25-27th, and I would be glad to ensure you have a first hand tour of the Fort, close-up and personal! There will be many events planned for that weekend at the Fort, so if this is up your alley, let me know, and I'll hook it up for you! The Coalition has been responsible for well over 2000 people hours of restoration in the last years time, so there is a lot of "new" old stuff to see. There will also be Civil War re-enactors present and I believe the Tuskegee Airman museum will be open, too. The tour will last about 2-2 1/2 hours, and will cover both the star Fort and the adjacent refurbished buildings, of which there are now 5 and by then, perhaps 6!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PlymouthRes..was just talking about taking my grandkids to Fort Wayne sometime soon. This sounds like a great time to show them. Is there going to be a cost for this tour? Can you e-mail a schedule (corneroffice2 at aol dot com) or send me a link to it? Thanks!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll need a car....

Greenfield Village is hosting Civil War Remembrance that weekend (http://www.thehenryford.org/vi llage/events/cwr/default.asp)

DTE Energy Music Theatre hosts two shows that weekend: Friday, May 25, Eddie Money; Sunday, May 27, Fall Out Boy (http://www.palacenet.com/defau lt.asp?venue=2)

Three car shows that weekend:
May 26, 2007 - HERITAGE ROD & CUSTOM CAR FESTIVAL - Rochester Municipal Park- Rochester Michigan; May 27, 2007 - 5th Annual Boy Scout Troop 296 Auto Show - Downtown Marine City (Sunday), on South Water Street; May 28, 2007 Classic Legends, in Brighton/Hartland Michigan Memorial Day Car Show (http://www.cruisin-usa.com/mie vnts.html)

Memorial Day Parades: Dearborn, Madison Heights, Royal Oak, Rockford, Milford, Walled Lake, Farmington, Sterling Heights, Plymouth, Novi. Details will be in the local papers that weekend.

Orchard Lake St. Mary's Polish Country Fair; details at: www.stmaryspolishcountryfair.c om/

Kathleen

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Plymouthres...drop me an email at dkosh <at> msn.com

Exmotowner

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really was hoping to catch a play or a concert that evening. I want my partner to be able to see the fox or opera house. But We can take a tour if nothing else. I was really hopeing for dinner at the Whitney then a play. Maybe something more will open up. Will see. During the day on that saturday we will probably be going to one of the museums.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of tours, Preservation Wayne offers a series of Saturday morning walking tours that cover Downtown, Midtown, Eastern Market, and the Cultural Center. Details at: http://www.preservationwayne.o rg/tours.php

Plymouthres

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good moooorning 1st Sargent!!!!(Just had to throw that in! A carry-over from the past, I guess!) You make a great point here, and as a veteran, I encourage you to follow 1st_sgt's request! Another website I can highly recommend is http://anysoldier.com. If you want to directly honor our men and women serving in the Middle East, this is a great way to do it! It is Memorial Day, after all, and we should memorialize our Armed Forces who so rightly deserve this honor.

All-

I apologize for the lack of the link to the website for the Coalition! It is http://historicfortwaynecoalit ion.com, and you can find the info for all future happenings under the "Events" tab. You may want to even bookmark this section as this area of the site is constantly being updated.

Blue-

Yes there is a cost, but I believe for the fun and history lesson you will get, the money is worth it. I believe that there is a $5 per car cost, and a $3 per guided tour fee. You can also grab a brochure we provide to you for a self guided tour, which will cost you nothing. I highly encourage the paid tour though, as one of the more knowledgeable members of the Coalition will provide you with facts than you could ever find out anywhere that I've seen! These guys really know their stuff, and I can almost guarantee you'll be satisfied with the knowledge you'll get from them!! Of course, if you like what you se, you can also join the Coalition or donate a small amount to help us bring the Fort back!!! We appreciate everything that people can do to help, large and small! Check your e-mail, too!!

Awesome suggestions by Kathleen, as well! She knows her stuff about things to do, and I would trust her opinions on the events available! Her knowledge of the local events is second to none, especially the Preservation Wayne stuff!!!!

If anyone else has any questions regarding the Fort, fire away!!

Kathleen, check your e-mail!! I'm going to the Fort late this afternoon, so I'll check back after returning home tonight!!

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner: The Gem does have shows scheduled for Memorial Weekend. To check out the times, visit www.gemtheatre.com

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Yankee Air Museum is hosting its annual Memorial Day Open House on May 28, and all the planes will be on display. The day often kicks off with a pancake breakfast, and if the weather cooperates, it's a wonderful way to celebrate this important holiday.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres

Good morning trooper. (CAV 8 years.)

For some reason the link did not work. (WWW missing?)

Everyone try this one.

http://www.historicfortwayneco alition.com/

Back in 1973 I had just got out of Basic training and had a Government ID card. I decided to explore Old Ft Wayne. No one was around to challenge me. I walked right in, went into any place that was not locked up, like the Casements, Storage buildings and some barns. There were vehicles and all kinds of stuff stored inside buildings. The Homes were magnificent. Brick with what looked like real fire places and hard wood floors. I never bothered anything just looked. It is a shame the city did not take better care of it.

I hope you get all the resources you need to restore it all.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also check the websites for these great downtown clubs that offer terrific music; they should have their May calendars in place around the first of the month:

Cliff Bell's at http://www.cliffbells.com/inde x.html

Buzz Bar at http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendid=47745167

Fishbone's in Greektown, Saturday, May 26: Thornetta Davis. More at: http://www.fishbonesusa.com/Ba nds/BandDetail.aspx?BandLocati onID=990&Source=Band

And one more suggestion: Renaissance Center tour, free of charge, leaving at 10, 12, 2, or 4, includes a stop on the 72nd floor in the Coach Insignia restaurant for the great view of the city. http://www.property-website.co m/sites/82/live/upload/files/t our_rencen.pdf

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since there's that little Music Festival thinger going on - chances are all available venues will be packed to the gills with associated parties/afterparties.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st_sgt-

Thanks for publishing the CORRECT link! You would think that after a month of membership in the Coalition I would know the correct link by now! You fixed it for me though, so thanks!! Sheesh!!
By the way, 5th SF here (1981 thru 1984, ROTC 1980-1981!)!! Awesome story, and I appreciate the encouragement! We are beginning to make headway, and every time we get more people down there, we make new "friends" who offer to volunteer and help out. Please come for a visit anytime as I'd like to show you our efforts and help to spread the word of what we are doing. The buildings have suffered for the last 20 years from "deffered maintainence", but are now getting everything that we've got!! We have a long way to go though, so we could use the support of everyone!!!

The casements have just been rebuilt and I am replacing a lot of the stairs/trim on the Commandants house. There is a LOT more to be done, but the members are motivated!!!

Also, The_rock is right:Yanke is awesome and could use your support, too. Maybe the Fort on Saturday and the airshow on Sunday or vice-versa. Good deal either way!! Toybreaker makes a good point, too. The area and venue around the Plaza should be packed! Kathleen also makes great suggestions.

Either way, enjoy Detroit!!

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....because people always leave town. This is why there is nothing happening.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT ELECTRONIC MUSIC FEST!!!

The place to be! dont worry about the suit, everyone looks freaky down there.

but seriously, I go there every year...

Exmotowner

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason I would be in a suit would be to go to the Whitney to eat then a nice play or show at the fox or masonic or something, but since there isnt a nice venue booked (DSO and Tiger game excluded). Guess I wont go to the whitney. I still just have a hard time believing nothing is booked. Gonna be hard pressed to impress the husband with hart plaza. :-( I really wouldnt have booked a room to even stay in the city just for the techno fest. That will be a WAY younger crowd.

Detroite

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gem is a nice venue.. RESPECT, The Musical Journey of Women!

Detroite

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...with the fancy Century Grille in the same building. That would make for a nice evening

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, sorry you hate the symphony much.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the DIA?
Belle Isle?
Perhaps a Diamond Jack or Detroit Princess Boat Tour?

Exmotowner

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lakesuperior. Its just not my thing. I would be so miserable at the symphony. Not everyone is into the same things. They just built a beautiful new symphony center here in nashville that Im dying to see, but if it means me going to the symphony, I will never see it. You would think by me being a 50 year old gay man that that would be right up my alley but I really would hate it. Now if Patty or Gladys come and sing with the symphony, I'll be first in line! That play at the GEM RESPECT looks great! I'm gonna wait a bit closer to memorial day and see if anything else opens up. Otherwise Im sure my partner and I would enjoy that. I didnt mean any disrespect by saying I HATE the symphony. I know many many people love it as well as the opera, but even as bad as I want to see the restored Opera house, I wouldnt go to an opera to see it. (Last time in was in Grand Circus Theater was 2 weeks before it closed).

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner,

Perhaps you can come back in November. Apparently The Lion King will be performing at the Opera House from late November through January.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a play at the Detroit Repertory Theatre

http://www.detroitreptheatre.c om/season.htm

Also a river tour of the city would be nice and remember that you can also stop in at the MGM Grand or another casino to here some music and make a donation!

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, dee williams is singing with the dso this weekend- a tribute to ray charles. that's a little more along the line of gladys and patty, right? :-)

i realize the symphony isn't everyone's thing-- i guess reading "I would just as soon you take me out behind Orchestra hall and just beat me to death!" made me feel protective towards the dso. of course, to each their own-- you'll find me at the symphony and then drinking beer at the old miami...

Exmotowner

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lakesuperior, I was actually laughing when I typed take me out back and beat me to death. Im pretty sure we'll do the Gem theater. I've been wanting to see the Gem too since they moved it. I did watch that show "How'd they do that". Very interesting. Thanks for all the great suggestions to all! Lookine forward to comming home! Guys, I've been so homesick its terrible!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im all set for saturday night. Dinner at the Century grill and then the show at the Gem (SINCE NOTHING IS BOOKED AT THE FOX!!!). It should still be a nice night. Looking foward to seeing the Gem. I know its a little theater but from what I remember its cute. 31 more days till vacation! I'm So ready! Going to saguatuck for the first weekend then coming over to Detroit side for the rest of the week and memorial day weekend! Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there's nothing like coming home, Ex. But, if I were already over at Saugatuck, I'd just drive around the lake and catch IML in Chicago!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ramcharger. Yea IML would be great! I'd rather be coming home though. I've been homesick for a long time. I was planning on coming home the labor day when Katrina hit but had some friends that needed a place to stay so they came here and we just gave our vacation money at that time to friends in New Orleans that lost everything. I cant wait to come home and Im excited to see all the changes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.