Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Pontiac History « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any old pics or history on the Building that houses Erebus in downtown Pontiac. I know at one point it was a bowling alley. Anyone know the name of it? Or any other history on it? The address is 18 Water Street, Pontiac MI 48342 I googled it and can not find anything.

Mattric43

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing? No one has anything?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ItsJeff would have been all over this Pontiac thread.

Mattric43

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know he would. He is missed!!

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pontiac then and now pics

http://www.pontiac.mi.us/thena ndnow/thenandnow.html

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots of old ( and new) Pontiac, Dan. Many thanks.
Speaking of memories of old Pontiac, there's the "new " courthouse at Saginaw and Huron Streets. My grandfather, when he was Prosecuting Atty for Oakland County, was responsible for floating the bonds on that building; then he sat there as both Probate and Circuit Judge. Nice shot of St. Vincent's church where my folks were married, a pix of the Orpheum and Strand theatres which I visited as a kid.The beautiful Kresge's store, the old post office, the Grand Trunk station etc.
If only Itsjeff were around to relish these, he would chime in with many memories too.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics!When the weather and time permits,I will takes some pictures of the north end of Oakland(Cesar Chavez).Also some railroad pics,GM pics,and of course our car lot at 820 Oakland,Lucky Auto Sales,plug.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just looked at the MSN satellite map. Directly south is the Phoenix Center. Nothing was there in that 18 Water St. Bldg. in the years between 89-97 when I worked at the Phoenix Center, that I recall. A nightclub opened up next to it on Saginaw St., but I never went in there.

If it is important to you, shoot me an email at jrvass @ comcast <dot> net and I'll send it to my mom. She may remember.

It may take a week since they are packing up to return from FL.

James

(Message edited by jrvass on April 10, 2007)

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting postcards and pics. Pontiac has that "rode hard and put away wet look." Or maybe it's just the years of Michigan winters.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat off-topic but I was reminded of a thought i often have but never post. Looking at many of the photos, particularly pike and ___ street 1920 vs 2006, I am often amazed at the thought of metro detroit's older areas covered with canopies of hearty trees (i.e. elm, etc) everywhere. Honestly, the visual quality and aeshtetics of so many areas of detroit, pontiac, etc must have been park like in comparison to the overpaved, grassed-over excuse for streetscape that exists today. Boulevards from Moross to Grand River and curb lawns on every street were home to abundant shade trees. Most of the wider medians these days are high-voltage wires or just plan un-planted. THe occassional reminder of what was once there is evident along Grand River, for example, in Redford and Detroit where several 100'+ Oak/Elms that haven't yet fallen down still reach over the road. Where some trees have been replanted, they are sorry excuses for anything, only 20' tall, slow growers, and provide little to no shade or natural beauty. Shame on all of us for allowing our public places and facilities to take a back seat to individual wealth, greed, and fiscal mismangagement in good times and bad.

My under-advanced age has made all of my visions of a better, thriving metro detroit of the 50's and 60's merely a cranial visualization... but I digress.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass

I bet the club was "Industry" and it opened in 1990 on the first block north of the Phoenix center in the Eagle Theatre.

At some point I will dig up some old photos of the club, I am the son of one of the partners.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

luckycar--I will hold you to your promise. I look foreward to your photos of now and then.
Arcadia Press has a book on "Pontiac, A Post card Album." Some of the photos posted by Dan may have been from that publication.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.