Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Somerset Apts on Jefferson « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an old abandoned apt building on north side of Jefferson called the Somerset. It looks like it would make a great loft development. Anyone know anything about this location? Any plans with it?

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

havent heard anything on this particular building. Jefferson, although pretty well preserved through the great depression of the 80's,90's, hasn't had much redevelopement. This apt building is prime for loft conversion. Rivertown will spur more of this trend.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the one adjacent to the Ford dealership?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5341
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would probably help if you gave a cross street.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the one next to the Ford Dealership on Jefferson between Orleans and Riopelle. The building was occupied in the early 2000s.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it seemed to be fairly well maintained and had residents up until just a few years ago. It was abruptly vacated and boarded up.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It would probably help if you gave a cross street.

Why would it help to give a cross street?

If you don't know where the Somerset building is, then you will surely not know if it is slated for development.

Quite frankly, if you don't know where the Somerset building is, you probably don't live anywhere near downtown, and have not for any significant period in your life, so why would you even respond to this post?

There are what, 4 old apartment building on jefferson in between Downtown and Belle Isle?

If you do not know the location of these, then you will really not be able to add anything to the discussion.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, dont know the cross street but yes, its near the dealership. The structure looks like it is in good shape and it has parking as well. The location is perfect.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its alway secured, and then squatted.
then secured, then squatted.
then secured....

Panther036
Username: Panther036

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch-

WOW! This is true. I agree with you.

-Panther036

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan poses a seemingly innocent question, gets an insulting response by Dabirch, and then receives a constructive reply by Patrick. Royce is helpful, too.
It's interesting to see who gets uptight rather easily when responding to another's question on the Forum. Ah, human nature.
I'm on your side on this one, Lmich.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on your side too Lmich. Don't let ignorance stop you from getting involved!!!

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this building have anything to do with the mall?

Dabirch

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock --

The question was asked "Anyone know anything about this location? Any plans with it?"

Clearly, if you have to ask for the cross streets then (a) you do not know the building and (b) you have no idea if there are any plans for it.

Additionally, Lmichigan's response was snippy, insulting, and trite.

It is obvious that he has no knowledge regarding the subject, and it is also obvious that he was being a smartass in his response.

Why would anybody respond positively to a post like that?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't see anything wrong about the cross street query. I live at 1300 E. Lafayette not to far behind the Somerset and some people in my building dont even know the building when your talk about it. In regards to the building some brothers from Grosse Pointe owned it during the late 1980s and early 90s and fixed it up to a degree to get some decent renters in there but it seemed to fail shortly after. I don't know what transpired after that point.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the people who do not know the building know if it is slated for re-development?

Do the people who do not know the building know if anything is happening on that site?

That was Patrick's question.

If he had said "what do you think should be done with this building" than the query is fine.

But his question was if anybody knew what was going on with the building.

Whatever. I will stop. Feel free to spend your time answering meaningless questions if you will, and I will feel free to spend my time pointing out the meaninglessness of those questions.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5343
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, grow up. I'm sorry I don't know the name of every apartment building on the northside of Jefferson and in the City of Detroit.

And, as much as you may want this to be, this forum isn't just for some insider clique, to sit back, noses high in the air, joking about how everyone else just doesn't "get it" or "know where it's at".

Perhaps, not knowing where the building was, my request for a side street was to narrow it down so that I could do research of my own. Perhaps, it was even to help other Detroiters who were just as confused as I.

God knows I can be critical, but your response was excessively bitchy.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It would probably help if you gave a cross street."

vs

"I'm not familiar with this name, can you tell me what the cross street is?"

Now tell me who's excessively bitchy. Stop trying to portray it like a magnanimous gesture for other uninformed forumers.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5346
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snippy? That's for each forumer to judge. Deserving of the response from Dabrich? I think not.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for snippy AND deserving.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Dabirch, who the fuck pissed in your Cheerios? It'd be one thing if it was the bloody RenCen but it's another if it's an abandoned residential dwelling.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pissed in your Cheerios"! That's hilarious!

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I vote for snippy AND deserving.

Seconded.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5347
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! Let's see how much support each of us can get, and further distract from the thread subject. How about, not?

Dabirch

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time:

My point was that the question asked if anybody knew what was happening to the site or the building.

If you do not know the site or the building, the question was not asked to you.

As said earlier, there are approximately 4 old apartment building on Jefferson between downtown and Belle Isle. If you have driven down the street more than 10 times, and have any interest in the neighborhood, you could name them.

Clearly you either (a) have not, or (b) do not.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5350
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess if you repeat yourself it makes your point more powerful, right? You're not judge, jury, or executioner, so go back to doing what you do best. You know, stealing candy from babies, chasing kids off your lawn, complaining about the weather, and tying dames to railroad tracks. Seriously, dude, stop the cartoon-like villainy. It is getting ridiculous.

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 12, 2007)

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You tell him, Lmichigan! I'm tired of these outsiders telling US Detroiters things about OUR city. I think he's just jealous of your knowledge about The D.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if he stops the cartoon-like villainy, who will be the foil for your cartoon-like idiocy?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this all makes me want to go back to the Don Imus thread...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somerset Apartments on Jefferson - Autumn 2006

the Somerset Apts. Detroit

the Somerset Apts. Detroit

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 367
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pix Lowell. I was ready to stand up screaming "SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!!!!!!!"

Now, I don't have to.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know what side street The Palms Apt. Bldg is on. I know it's on E. Jefferson, across from a motel, very close to where the freeway comes up to Jefferson, but I don't know the name of the side street and I would like to refer to it in a future post without getting my ass kicked by Dabirch and the rest of you DY Gansta's. :-)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, The Palms Apt. Bldg is on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Rivard.

BTW, the pictures of the Somerset Apts. shows plastic covering the windows. That definitely appears that some kind of rehab was in progress and then abruptly stopped. I drove passed the Somerset Saturday and noticed a "For Sale By Owner" sign on the front entrance. That clearly wasn't there in the pictures that Lowell took in the fall. It looks like the owner was trying to rehab the Somerset, but then decided to sell for whatever reason.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much, Royce.

Dear Dabirch:

That is how we should conduct ourselves. Ask a question and someone simply answers it.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 543
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have pictures of those buildings on my Flickr page- somebody removed the ironic sign that read 'If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home By Now'. I'm surprised there isn't more squatting in Detroit, like there was in the Lower East Side of Manhattan in the seventies and early eighties during its period of abandonment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.