Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Tradesmen Rugby Tournament « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This past Saturday the Detroit Tradesmen RFC hosted a collegiate tournament at Rouge Park for the first time. CMU, Oakland, Michigan, Ferris State, Kent State and Purdue made up the field. Technically Ferris and CMU won the event, but as much as I hate to say it Purdue was definitely the class of the tourney. It was a lot of fun, despite the cold weather, and I want to encourage everyone to support the event and attend next year. I know that there's at least one Tradesmen on the forum, and maybe others, so I just wanted to post this to thank them for hosting us and for showing us a good time in the D.

I'll try to post pics from some of the games when I get home from work and class tonight.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played rugby in undergrad for DePaul and now play club at Oxford.....I could never make the Dark Blues.....anyway, a couple of the guys I played with at DePaul play now for the South Side Irish, who frequently play against the Tradesman. I have been to a few of the parties and they seem like a good group of guys....glad to hear things are still going well.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to hear you're still playing Tkelly; once you start your hooked. Here are some pictures from the tournament. This is CMU vs Purdue at Rouge Park.

oneimage

twoimage

threeimage

fourimage

siximage

sevenimage

eightimage

(Message edited by Andyguard73 on April 12, 2007)

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, was that Shooter siring the match?

It's nice to see the Tradesmen are still using the 2x4 try post construction method :-) That's what they used at Howell's auxiliary pitch back in the day. I guess ours would have been the fancy-pants next generation model; it was PVC held together by a metric shit-ton of epoxy. Good times.

Kostegian88
Username: Kostegian88

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was there playing in the tourney for CMU but i ended up busting my eye in that Purdue match, by any chance would Andyguard be the guy that took by picture when i came out?

Keith_rylatt
Username: Keith_rylatt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone play Rugby League (as opposed to Rugby Union) in the states? For those who haven't heard of League, it is a 13 a side version, with slightly different rules and originates from the industrial north of England but spread to most of the British colonies and France. Australia are probably the strongest nation as it is virtually their national winter game.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, Keith, now that I think about it I think I heard of a few teams in the Chicagoland area that play league rules. I don't think there are very many programs in the country. I'd go so far as to say there are probably more hurling clubs than league clubs.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9358
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

League rules at least are better than 7's.
I never really understood why 7's are even played as there is too much pitch for only 14 players. I find it rather boring and worthless.

A friend of mine from the UK always called rugby hurling; It had such a nice sound to it and I haven't heard that expression in years.

...hoping to play for the Windsor Rugby Club this year if time permits.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Needles! It's Fiedler, and it wasn't me taking the picture of you coming out as I was still in the game. My folks took these pictures for me.

Hey Goat if you end up playing for Windsor then I'll be seeing you June 9th. I play for Sarnia during the summer in the NRU in addition to playing for CMU the rest of the year.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9360
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! I will yell out "Andyguard it's Goat" and see if you reply. I just hope I can free up some time this summer. I used to play back in the early '90s for the Windsor Borderer's Rugby Club but sadly it is now defunct.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.