Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Negative perceptions of Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it's a labor/management thing ~ nationwide there seems to be a real anti-Detroit/anti-Michigan sentiment - what's with the likes of Ah-nold? Did some fairy with a magic wand sprinkle a little pixie dust and turn him into an engineer?

Arnold to Michigan: "Get Off Your Butt"

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming from the guy who singlehandedly started the entire Hummer craze. Whatever....

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5348
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, it's a little bit of everything, one on top of the other.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, taken as a whole, the title of this thread should read "negative realities of michigan"... :-(

Lilpup

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planner, negative realities here affect Michiganders, not outstaters. It's not like their tax money is propping us up.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea Arnold should be the first one to have to give up that gas guzzeling hummer he loves so much. Sounds like he likes to talk the talk, but only if someone else has to walk the walk.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wanted to know how Michigan was perceived in other areas of the country and what they first thought of when asked to describe the state."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070408/O PINION03/704080305/1382

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Arnold's defense, his actions as a private citizen have nothing to do with his role a governor...

Also, he didn't buy a Hummer because it gets shitty gas mileage...he bought it because its a huge fun vehicle to drive...I'm sure he'd be happy to drive one that gets better fuel economy if GM would make one...

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 523
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Arnold's defense, his actions as a private citizen have nothing to do with his role a governor...
------------------------------ ----------------

I beg to differ, I believe it does. He should be responsible and setting an example.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 932
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he wasn't governor back when he made the Hummer popular...he was a private citizen...

And he's not urging people to not drive Hummers...he's urging automakers to make their vehicles more fuel efficient...there's a difference

Lilpup

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, there's a difference. He's pointing a finger at the automakers instead of at the users who choose to purchase gas guzzlers. Why risk offending his constituents when he can lay blame elsewhere?

Let us know when Arnold gets his engineering degree.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not just Arnold -- it is people that live/lived here that bad mouth the State/Detroit everywhere they go.

What most people don't realize is that the State of Michigan and Detroit's suburbs depended on Detroit having a POSITIVE image, so bad mouthing Detroit to someone when you are visiting Arizona or Texas -- because you live in Troy or Novi does you no good; they just assume all of the Detroit area is bad. When you talk to someone from Vegas or L.A. They don't bad mouth it and talk about North Vegas or Compton. They ignore those areas when describing it and focus on the positive thing – and may include things that aren’t necessarily in the city but the surrounding areas.

A Hummer will never have good energy consumption -- it is a 7,000 brick going though the wind, so unless GM manages a way to figure out to cheat physics it is not going to happen.

The Auto companies make some decisions that affect and promote the image they have, how come I can’t get a PZEV vehicle in Michigan yet they are available in NY or CA. The auto companies always wait until the government forces them to do it which is why they offer PZEV in California in the first place.

(Message edited by japes on April 16, 2007)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every now and then I skim through the forum on the freep.com. It's difficult to participate in discussions because of how negative and completely clueless people are.

There's one discussion today from the story about children caught in the crossfire. A responder from New Orleans who is temporarily in the area explained how he/she is appalled with the closeted racism in Michigan. From their perception, it is even worse than anything in the south.

After living in Detroit for the past 3 years, it has become more and more easy for me to understand where that person is coming from.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

closeted? hardly, but I think most who yap won't act on their words

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is ridiculous, and so is the tendency for Michiganders to take everything so damn personally.

Schwarzenegger's comments were targeted toward the outdated and regressive-looking American automobile industry, which happens to be centered in Detroit. He didn't hold a press conference to tell the world what a P.O.S. the State of Michigan is. Learn to discern between the two.

quote:

What most people don't realize is that the State of Michigan and Detroit's suburbs depended on Detroit having a POSITIVE image, so bad mouthing Detroit to someone when you are visiting Arizona or Texas -- because you live in Troy or Novi does you no good; they just assume all of the Detroit area is bad. When you talk to someone from Vegas or L.A. They don't bad mouth it and talk about North Vegas or Compton. They ignore those areas when describing it and focus on the positive thing – and may include things that aren’t necessarily in the city but the surrounding areas.

You're suggesting that Michigan's and Detroit's economic incompetence is the result of people talking smack on vacation? Talk about a disconnect. Surely, Michigan's current situation has nothing to do with the fact that the State pretends not to acknowledge the world beyond it's borders, and pretends it will be the 1950s forever....

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This thread is ridiculous, and so is the tendency for Michiganders to take everything so damn personally.

Correction, many people on this forum have shown the tendency to take things too personally.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And soon someone will be harping that it's "Michiganian."

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I tell someone Im from michigan/detroit, I NEVER get a positive response. Someone always has a Horror story to tell. My partner is coming home with for the first time over Memorial day and people have him scared to death. Really. Hes not looking forward to it. I told him I've survived and he will too. Im bound and determined to make is first trip to Michigan and Detroit a good one. I want him to want to come back. We almost broke up over his coming with me, he finally (grudgingly) consented to come. I'm praying to God nothing bad happens while were there; i.e. car gets stolen, or we get mugged ect. I've already said if something BAD happens, I wont come back either. My friends up there think Im nuts because I'm homesick. My friend Tim said "come on up. You wont want to come back for another 10 years". Will see!

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying that bad mouthing is the only problem or that single handed led to the demise of Detroit and Michigan. But it is a contributing factor, there is no one magic thing that happened.

Many things hurt this State/City -- Being so tied to one industry is one, but the same thing is said about Silicon Valley.

Crime is another issue that no one wants to tackle with the “Jackpot Justice” hanging out there all the time. It is cheaper just to let it go on.

The total lack of sprawl laws has just allowed the blight to continue moving on and contributes to lower home prices, and larger blight areas.

You have Companies that by their own doing don’t have a good public image; you have a city that has terrible race relations even among the same race.

On top of everything else the past three administrations in Lansing and a very long one in Detroit have been completely worthless in helping the area. You have a workforce that has been trained to demand wages that are unacceptable for the services being rendered and are not competitive in the global market. The Downfall of Michigan and Detroit has been 35 years in the making.

And that is just a few of the things that are wrong, the problem is people will not do what is necessary to change, they would just rather sit and bitch about the ship going down, than grab a pail and toss the water out to save the ship because that takes work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.