Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » $280,000 Per Year DPS Superintendent « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet deal, plus 2 years severance pay if fired.

WXYZ

I wonder how much a pay cut she took for coming here?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5349
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pay cut? Am I missing some sarcasm? Anyway, to retain any kind of superintendent in DPS, you'd have to give and arm and a leg.

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 11, 2007)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring it down to 180k where is should be. Lead by example

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flint's superintendent just took the superintendent job in Springfield, Ill, a district with ~15,000 students, for $220,000 a year. He was making $153,000 here, with ~19,000 students.

(cue the simpson's episode where flint was #296, and springfield #299, on the 300 most livable cities)

With about 100,000 more students in DPS, $280,000 is a relative bargain, especially given the issues facing the district.

however, i will agree with vas, lead by example and take a pay cut.

Psip

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The educator selected as superintendent of Detroit Public Schools could get a substantial raise and a long-term contract that some board members say might bring stability in leadership.

Other board members say they fear the 5-year deal, worth $280,000 annually, gives Connie Calloway too much

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070412/NEW S01/704120325/1003

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would anyone here take that job for less? That job will be nothing but a headache and ulcer-maker. 24/7.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a teacher that type of salary is
bull fucking shit!

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St. Louis Superintendent makes $250K, plus benefits. Their district has less than 40,000 students and 92 schools.

I think Calloway's salary is a bargain, by comparison. The national average for districts with more than 25,000 students is $164,000. Remember, you get what you pay for.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stl ouis/stories/2005/04/11/daily2 8.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/twi ncities/stories/2003/05/05/foc us3.html

Rugbyman

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS has more than 110,000 students and 220 schools, for those interested. The figure in 2006 was 116,800, so it's probably around 105-110K this year because of attrition.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will she finish out the year?

Vegas odds would be 3:1 she won't.
I'll take $10 of that action.

Suggest a parrot on her shoulder to catch the fruit that will be lobbed at her.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it on one of those stations (believe it was WJBK). That payment is a bit much though.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Rugbyman. This doesn't seem to be a case of comparing to a national average, Detroit doesn't have the luxury of doing that.

I would also refrain from any hints of an over paid bureaucracy, which has been leveled at DPS for a while. So take a white color pay cut and lead by example because Sacrifice needs to be the word of the day, or should I say next 5 years for DPS.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Vas. If I were her I'd take a pay cut to show how concerned I was about the fiscal state of the district and sensitive I was to everyone else's salaries getting cut.

The point I was trying to make was that her $280K salary wasn't something particularly extraordinary. She is being compensated only marginally more than someone in a similar position who is running a district less than half the size of DPS. Not such a raw deal for the city.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a DPS employee (janitor/custodian, whatever the @#$% they call us nowadays-sanitational engineers or somemthin'), I agree with defendbrooklyn. That is BULLSHIT! I wonder how much more money us DPS employees have to lose before these (wankers) can make a WHOPPING 7 figures? The custodians and the engineers were cut 5%, the teachers and the administrators 10-15%, what more is left? And with the uproar caused by closing between 30-50 plus schools being announced, not 2 mention the pissed-off 'grape thrower' (I ain't mad at her either), what more is left, I ask again. With a salary totaling almost 300K, to me that sounds like more cuts. Maybe I'm off-topic with this, too. But I'm at the point now where I just say '@#$% IT ALL!' 'Cause it's bullshit! Pure, 100% bullshit!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx: I agree with you on the "expect more cuts" thought. I'm just wondering where are they going to cut next...is there much left? We are down to ONE custodian and ONE engineer for our building (three floors). We've been complaining for some time but our concerns fall on deaf ears.

Our budget is frozen (we can't even get chalk without paying out of pocket). Don't know what's next but I don't think I'll like it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5806
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While DPS schools closed, Calloway gets more bling. That would the headlines. Where's that grape throwing black woman? We need her.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 873
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't have hired anyone.

Put the$280k into text books.

No one in that job has actually improved the school system, so why pay somebody to drive the inevitable path into the abyss?

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, that sounds terrible. Is it just your school with the frozen budget or is that all of DPS? It's great that the city spent $120 million on the new Cass Tech amongst all of these school closings and budget cuts...

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter: I understand that the budget freeze is for all schools (although my Principal deceives us quite a bit). No money goes out for anything.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are you expected to be able to provide your students with an appropriate education if you cannot purchase any supplies? If this is true DPS-wide than it is definitely an overlooked issue by everyone, this should be very high on the priority list of the city.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not purchasing supplies is nothing new for me. If I need something for my class or my kids, I fork over my own money. I would, however, like some textbooks (I don't have enough for even a whole class set). I can't afford to buy those. I do buy novels (when I can get them on sale or in bulk on Ebay), materials for class projects, chalk, pens, paper, my own gradebooks, dictionaries, posters and other misc. items for my room.

My point was that the district REALLY isn't spending any money on the KIDS. I have to admit, I am stingy and don't loan out my materials to other teachers anymore. I never got my stuff back. That isn't right for the kids, but I just can't afford to be Santa to everyone.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds to me like your union is fumbling the ball. I would be livid were I in your shoes, and would suggest work action appears appropriate.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I choose to work in DPS. I could go elsewhere and have better funding but I love my students and don't want to be one of those teachers who abandon the kids.

Our union has been crap for a very long time. A work action would only hurt the kids and I am not willing to hurt them. DPS won't ever be a stellar district that provides for the classrooms. Most teachers who are really in this for the kids just go out and do what we have to do. Others that are there to collect a paycheck and call it a day...well, their kids suffer. DPS cares nothing for its students, that much is crystal clear.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The frozen budget is in all schools.
Plus, administrators (those who win the non-renewal battle) are now being sent contracts which again call for 10 per cent concessions in salary. This comes days after a 5 yr. $280,000 Supt. contract with a half-million severance option. Am I the only one bothered by this? And keep in mind that many of our high schools have over 2000 students each, half of what Mrs. Calloway's entire former district contained.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone want to take bets on what color her Mercedes will be? She got one of those in her current position, paid for by the taxpayers. Why would it be any different in DPS?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS unions have NO (EXPLETIVE) BACKBONE! These (wankers) lacked it 12 years ago when I was hired in, and it's worse now. It got to the point where I don't even go to the Union meetings any more! So @#$% it! Deborah Mc Griff was THE BEST and the LAST of the best we had! I'm askin' the same question Lee Iacocca asked: "WHERE has all the good leaders gone?" Check that thread out (to those who have yet to read it).

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This woman is a Harvard Graduate and a Ph.D.

She has been hired to run a huge education system.

Is she the right person for the job? Who knows -- I would tend to think that she does not have the experience, but that is just me.

But, the DPS, similar to the Tiger's need to overpay to attract talent. It is that simple.

The top people in the field are not going to come here.

So you have to pay a lot to attract talent that has some risks associated, but could be the right person.

Let's not bitch and moan over her salary -- do you think she should make $50k? $100k? 200k?

Clearly that number is market dictated -- as are the salaries for teachers, groundskeepers, and janitors.

All are important and necessary jobs for our schools. And the market (or the union) dictate what those jobs pay.

If you want talent, in a limited pool of qualified AND interested candidates you have to pay for it.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MY problem with her is that the district where she is at now chose not to extended/offer her another contract. What does that say about how she runs things? Harvard grad or not...she was fired from her last CEO position.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To attract good talent you have to pay good dollars. IF the talent doesn't work out it is the cost of doing business - unfortunately that cost is measured in kids. I think 280k is a fair salary for a CEO with the duties and RESULTS expected of her.

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it ironic when union teachers complain about her salary which is clearly in line with the AVERAGE salary for for her position in a similar size district YET Michigan teachers are some of the HIGHEST paid teachers in the nation.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pay a good wage to get a compitent official.

That's a really tough job. Managing one of America's worst and most dangerous school systems. It's got to be a ball buster of a job for all those who are truly working.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a problem with the SALARY paid...I have a problem with the PERSON receiving it. Someone fired from their last school CEO position should have to prove themselves before being awarded a raise. She applied for the job knowing what the salary was so she would have accepted that. After she gets her ears wet and shows some results, THEN give her the raise (and 30 grand in moving costs).

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3061
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pay a good wage to get a compitent official.

Who knows? Maybe she'll be worth that high salary if she could improve the functional literacy (and spelling and grammar) of the kids under her charge.

Psip

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It was on fire when I got here, so don't blame me," the 30-year educator said. "My tenure begins on July 1, 2007."

"I am an obedient servant, and if you want to know who I fear, it is Him alone," she said. "I'm not a messiah. I'm not a media mogul. I am not a celebrity. ... I'm not a politician, and I'm not a magician. I don't have a silver bullet to fix, as the news people call it, 'the Titanic.' But what I am is a committed Christian ... and I have a 30-year commitment to educating children."

Being a superintendent, she said, is like being a poker player who uses chips with each decision.

"The challenge is to have enough chips for the next decision," she said, adding that people sent her chips when she did well.

"On bad days, when ain't nobody happy with the superintendent, I would look at my chips and play with them and say, 'I remember when they liked me.'

"Send me some chips when you think I've done the right thing for children," she said. "In five years, I expect that bowl to be running over with chips."

If she's still here in five years, she will deserve them. No Detroit superintendent has lasted longer than five years since 1989. But after hearing Calloway speak, I have a sense she will.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070422/COL 10/704220530/1081/COL

I wish her luck, but I still want a front row seat. This is going to like a Gallagher concert.
Silver Bullets and Chips, great metaphors.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!! That is amazing how the DPS loss so many students. I was in a private school before I went to a DPS and back then the number enrolled was 300,000. WOW. 313 (LUCK 313 POST)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "It was on fire when I got here, so don't blame me," the 30-year educator said.

Is she already giving up? I'd like to know how she's planning on putting the fire out. I just hope she does right by the kids then she can have all the chips she wants.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote : "On bad days, when ain't nobody happy with the superintendent, I would look at my chips and play with them and say, 'I remember when they liked me.'

...when aint nobody?... seriously? Apparently she be keeping it real street, yo. big ups to the J-dogg for making this all possible.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was curious to see what other folks thought about her as an administrator.

http://www.daytondailynews.com /blogs/content/shared-gen/blog s/dayton/education/entries/200 7/03/03/for_about_a_yea.html

I don't feel real good about her. The negative comments about her just jumps out to me as "business as usual"

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that the hiring process should have been re-opened when so much skepticism surfaced about the quality of the finalists. But the Board voted not to do it and now they have made their choice. The community should rally behind Dr. Calloway. This is what Detroiters wanted. An elected board, self governance, and a leader chosen through their all-important democratic process. But what will happen? Will the complainers simply continue to complain or will they now accept the outcome of the democratic process and re-direct their seemingly abundant energy to improving classroom achievement and the condition of the school buildings? (It's a lot easier to show up at a board meeting and complain than it is to organize and contribute time and perhaps even a little money to tutoring programs and buildings and grounds projects.)

As for the complaints about the salary for Dr. Calloway, especially from the DFT crowd, this is spot on:
quote:

I find it ironic when union teachers complain about her salary which is clearly in line with the AVERAGE salary for for her position in a similar size district YET Michigan teachers are some of the HIGHEST paid teachers in the nation.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8886
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK brought up a good point about the search. He was pretty frank when he admitted that we didn't have the luxury of finding the best candidates because they would not consider the job.

Sad but true. Hopefully Dr. Calloway can improve DPS so we can recruit the best when it is time for another Superintendent.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8887
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK brought up a good point about the search. He was pretty frank when he admitted that we didn't have the luxury of finding the best candidates because they would not consider the job.

Sad but true. Hopefully Dr. Calloway can improve DPS so we can recruit the best when it is time for another Superintendent.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its sad when you know you cannot select the best and brightest when you have a big time job opening. We now know why the board didn't re-open the search or hire a head-hunter for this position. We must band together and support this person and hope that the call-em-out people and other vocal minority folks don't run her out of town.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a very religious person, and someone who once taught in a Catholic elementary school, so I know and value religious instruction.

However, when I read that article I thought that Calloway is bringing way too much religion into the management of the DPS. I think she should go to a religious district if she wants to continue the "anointed specially by God Himself for this work" tack, as she did in the article reported on Sunday. Its hard for the general public to question an administrator who will insist that God sent her! Next He'll be telling her, if she is to be believed, what to do about individual persons and which schools to close, etc.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I retired five years ago from an urban superintendency...I wouldn't touch the Detroit job for less than $300K in salary with another 50% in deferred income, perks, etc. The last time I looked the Charlotte, NC job was paying $400K in salary.

People need to look around the country to see what the urban jobs are paying today. The hardest thing the headhunters have to face is finding people who will take them. Its high stress and public abuse on a daily basis. Glad I did it...glad I'm out!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

South: You bring up very valid points. As a Senior Sponsor, we are finding it difficult to have the ceremonies we once had. We were told by the lawyers for the district to NOT go on with out baccalaureate ceremony as we had scheduled and we've had to change our prayer breakfast to a pancake breakfast. None of the parents or kids complained, it's just one of those things that someone has decided is too religious (nevermind that the kids deserve recognition). We also can not mention God or any reference to religion in any of the speeches made at graduation. If someone does, we have to stand up and say this, "the views expressed by individual speakers are not necessarily the views expressed by the Detroit Board of Education". This is per the lawyers and the admin.

I find it inappropriate that the new CEO can make such remarks yet the kids have to go without certain programs because they are "related" to religious events, even though participation in them is totally voluntary.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.