Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Dearborn shooting « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11482
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems Dearborn was the location of today's suburban crime. Will this sudden rise in suburban crime drive people to move back to Detroit?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070412/NEW S02/70412022&imw=Y

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it will drive them to relocate to Adrian, Tecumseh or Raisin Township.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 819
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot the one in Pontiac.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=3ac5b8ad-3843 -47bb-a858-c256789fd1c9

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am amazed that the folks on this board gloat about people getting shot in suburbs. I don't relish shootings in suburbs anymore than I enjoy them in the City.

Tit-for-tat is no excuse either. Just as many of you call those who live in the suburbs ignorant of City life when they say terrible things about crime in Detroit, the City does not get any better by cheering the crime in the suburbs. You are just sinking to their juvenile levels and ultimately it is the Detroit area as a whole that suffers regardless of jurisdiction.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are people that worried about shootings?

Shootings can happen anywhere. It is no cause to move. Hell, over the years, three people have been shot about 5min from my house in various apartment buildings. Is not grounds to move. Once in a while it happens.

Katelynrose
Username: Katelynrose

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its totally grounds for moving. i have never in my life heard of anything close to a shooting happening anywhere near me, and im glad! id move in a second if someone was murdered, by being shot anywhere near me.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5789
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep! suburban crime is on the rise. Since there nothing else to rob in Detroit. the crooks and the po'folks might as well go to a home of middle class white family and robbing some valuables and kill the family of they are home or tried to resist.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5790
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Detroit mayor Coleman A. Young told all the crooks to "Hit 8 Mile Rd." He really mean it. And look what it turn up today.

Scs100

Post Number: 827
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the suburbs. I don't gloat. I'm just posting what I see.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Respond how you will on what I have to say but the area of Dearborn where that happened is basically Detroit. There are many crimes on that side of Dearborn near Detroit. There is an abundance of crime at Fairlane Mall but the typical Dearborn resident never goes there if you can read through these lines. The Ferndale shooting? Who was involved in that?

I would have to agree with others here. Shootings in any neighborhood or city should be taken with the attitude that "these things just happen". They are very serious actions in most communities and to most people.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah definitely. Down here in Charlotte, NC two police officers were shot dead about a week and a half ago by a person not related to the routine call to which the officers were responding. Anything can happen anywhere.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any word yet on how many Detroiters were responsible for these suburban crimes? I say better than 75% chance, going by history and the ferndale one last week

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you took the words from my mouth. There are better pickings for the bad guys in the burbs. I'm getting the hell out of Ferndale and moving back to Detroit where we can be safe.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6734
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, perhaps this was in the paper because woundings from shootings are still news in Dearborn - but not in Detroit.

Meanwhile, Dearborn gets the new Super-WalMart and Detroit has none for its 880,000 residents - and Detroiters are happy.

It would appear that Detroit continues on its downward spiral, while Dearborn grows and improves.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us blame it on all the crap that is on TV. I don't know about what you think. but I am sick to death of every CSI "commercial" trying to out do the last gross-out from the week before. And, in our local paper, words that used to be used, like "sodomy" are now forgotten for a complete sentence so everyone, including your 4th grader, will have no problem understand just what happened. Everyone is getting their dose of crap every day - no one aspires to anything higher than just the next shocking thing. It is like Madonna trying to take it one more inch over the line every time, and as we all know, I am a liberal, and I am sick of it.

Karl

Post Number: 6736
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carolcb, have you ordered the cable company to block MTV and VH1? They'll do it for free. My kids grumbled for one day and haven't mentioned it since. That was 2 years ago.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have in the past - when I had two kids in the house it was off - it is back on again and I really don't recall why. But I have to tell you, the one kid that is still not in college - he is 18, he could care less about MTV or VH1. The only reason he watches TV would be sports.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, Karl, do you seriously block MTV and VH1 at your house?

What else do you block? BET? Fox News? Comedy Central?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, I'd hardly call a Super Walmart being put into a former Super Kmart store a sign of improvement for Dearborn. Keep in mind that that store is only a block south and east of the City Limits. The store will serve Detroiters and Walmart gets a store for substantially less than the cost it would take to develop one on their own. Walmart would be idiots not to take the store. I'm only surprised it took either Walmart or Meijer so long to do so.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8919
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl cannot block FauxNews, because he would go immediately into withdrawals and have NOTHING to say here.

But yes, in a place where one cannot gain control over a temptation, it is VERY Taliban to eliminate the source of the temptation rather than work for strength against it.

I'm that way with sweets around the house...but with television, I can just NOT turn it on, and never pay to receive programming that also contains commercials.

I'm just rejecting that external programming, I guess.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 684
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

any word yet on how many Detroiters were responsible for these suburban crimes? I say better than 75% chance, going by history and the ferndale one last week

Well there was that shooting at a New Years Eve Party in Warren like two years ago. If I remember correctly the shooter was from Detroit and so was the guy he murdered and he also shot two other people. Then there was that workplace shooting at a paper company in Taylor about two years ago, the shooter lived in Detroit. And the first murder committed in Grosse Point in 32 years was some Detroit guy killing a Sterling-Heights woman for money. Then I think it was three years ago when some guy in Detroit went off the deep-end, killed his family, then he drove out to the UPS location in Livonia where he worked and killed one of his coworkers, then he drove to another coworker's house in Redford Township and killed himself in the driveway.

Scs100

Post Number: 831
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grosse Pointe murder was done by a hit man. It was set up by the employer's son, or something like that, I don't remember exactly.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Grosse Pointe murder was done by a hit man. It was set up by the employer's son, or something like that, I don't remember exactly.

The hit man was a 46-year old Detroit man. But isn't it interesting that some upper-crusty Grosse Point kid knew exactly which city to go to find someone who would commit murder for a paltry sum of money?

Scs100

Post Number: 835
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, there are a lot of things we Grosse Pointe kids know. I'm not one to know where to go for a hit man, though.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There is an abundance of crime at Fairlane Mall but the typical Dearborn resident never goes there if you can read through these lines."

I think the cat has been out of the bag.

he lived in Detroit = he's black

We know, we know.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A super Wal-mart in Dearborn?, did I miss something ?
Was that speculation or fact ?

Leo B

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loeb its at Fairlane North (Ford Rd and Southfield). Go look at the Super K, Look at the permits by the entrance area.

Walmart. Its not making much news as it is a conversion of an existing store, too many news folks are fixated on new development. Nothing sexy about writing a story about a Walmart going in where there was a Kmart!

Karl

Post Number: 6742
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news isn't that WalMart is opening in Dearborn. It's that Detroit, for its 880,000 residents, hasn't managed to land one.

Or is WalMart happy to avoid/be shunned by Detroit?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are not avoiding Detroit Karl, the store is one block from one of the densest neighborhoods in the City.

Please learn your geography before you espouse your bitter intentions. One block away does not a shunning or an avoidance make. I can't blame them. The building is nearly new and a perfect size for their footprint.

Karl

Post Number: 6751
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No bitter intentions, Detroit - just facts. Detroit has a huge geographic area - but no WalMart. Is there another comparable situation in the USA?

If I'm not mistaken, there's been similar discussion about the lack of large chain supermarkets in the COD. Can you cite another city of 800,000+ that is similar in that way?

The leadership of Detroit should be begging for these stores - IN the city limits, don't you think? Not only to tout it in promoting the COD - but also sales tax revenue.

Finally, it would seem that the Dearborn PD's definition of "no nonsense" might be a trite different than the Detroit PD's. But prove me wrong.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DIGRESSION.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime is crime-look at the massacre at Virginia Tech.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8958
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That same mall also had one of the first Sam's Clubs to hit the area, but they closed it when K-Mart and their home supply store (Home Quarters?! one of 'em was a K-Mart company) colluded to make life difficult, as far as I know. It sure didn't last long.

So, would we see BOTH a Walmart and a Sam's Club in the same mall?! They could swallow up the whole neighborhood, one wallet at a time.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no WalMart in Manhattan.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is no WalMart in Manhattan.

True, it is across the Hudson River 3.7 miles away in Secaucus, NJ.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.