Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Scene on You Tube « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig It:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xhE-0IDpkiM

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 603
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dug.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4998
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was enough jheri curl activator in that clip to fill a small swimming pool! Man, those were the days.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those clothes are awesome.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my God, that took me right back to high school!

Who did Sharivari? I used to know.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5001
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes me want to wear ties the width of vermicelli again.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG the scene lmao classic

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a UPN 50 news story about The Scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0fdzDKp4EO4

Dancer introductions -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0b4pVpwHLWo

And, the best, the Funkateers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Qq6k9gSsRXI

Abracadabra

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, of course, the New Dance Show must be represented. There is a ton of these on Youtube now.

The Percolator -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =tMEDZnM_TZE

Miss Energy. Swing them arms, girl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =tgytZQXaWgQ

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't watch that without grinning. Thanks, Abracadabra.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The group's name is "A Number of Names."

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shake it but, don`t break it!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bre- bre- bre-
BREAK!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 789
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man have we come a long way!

Abracadabra

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the music has gone downhill. I'm sure we'll look at our clothing now in the same way in the next decade.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was 'The Scene' on channel 38 or 62?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess 62 but I might be wrong. That was WAY back. lol

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was definitely 62 WGPR before they were CBS.
Thanks Soulhawk for the Shari-vari answer.

(Message edited by Kimistree on April 15, 2007)

Smogboy

Post Number: 5012
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes me grow fonder for the music that The Electrifying Mojo played.

Gee, I miss the days when DJs on the radio actually influenced what people listened and danced to. Now it seems like corporate shills in offices in faraway places doing that for the masses.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in those days, "The Scene" was the only thing that they could sell on that station. I was working at 'GPR when they gave Nat Morris the boot (HUGE mistake) and decided that they could do better. We sat and sat, and came up with "Contempo." This was the beginning of 1988. We taped the first show on NY's Day, as I recall. It was a train wreck from the start. Management there had NO clue (still don't). The only good thing about Contempo was the theme music (an obscure Paul Hardcastle tune that I picked). Sorry, Gerald. I could go on for days telling you some stories. Lots of the grunt people had vision, but no vision from the top.

Whatever became of Nat Morris?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory, I was paging you, earlier, in the Connect area, hoping to contact you on this subject.

Abracadabra

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory, what was the Contempo theme?

Hardcastle. Musician or magician? Hard to say.

There are a few golden jams on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =VNxzsUWBwz8

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nnnnn-none of them received a hero's welcome. ~Paul Hardcastle

I saw Ladyinabag left a comment on the top Youtube link, hehe.

Hey, look at the bright side, nobody got out any cardboard and spun on it upside down!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy is still regretting his choice of outfit that day.

s

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one guy looked like Napoleon Dynamite.

I used to love that show, very entertaining.

Ravine

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work with some people who used to dance on those shows (Scene, New Dance Show.) I am desperately trying to find out if Mallory-- or any of the rest of you, for that matter-- could put me in touch with anyone who might possess videotapes of the NDS. Good thing I don't work around Barbara. A guy could really get beside himself.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also used to watch that station for the "cheap" entertainment factor. I remember Saturday's Auction Movie, where they auctioned off such valuables as a stapler, and some Kansas City Beef. Man, what a hoot.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New dance show only played in detroit(lived in) right?? because I remember watching it, but every time I mentioned it to my friends in public school(eastpointe) and no one knew what I was talking about. Even grown up no one knows what im talking about.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 886
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohh btw i miss that old school techno/electro. cant stand the new euro sounding crap

Ravine

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, those two shows started out airing on WGPR Channel 62, out of Detroit. The signal was not very strong, so your associates in Eastpointe may not have paid much attention to 62, as it probably was kinda fuzzy, out that way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.