Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Work on 70 west alexandrine? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dumpsters, porta johns and plastic in some of the window openings...

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a short blurb in last week's Crain's about a development company buying this and turning it into condo lofts. Couldn't find the story in the online version, but it was in the print edition in the yellow, breaking news section. The blurb was pretty sparse when it came to information. It basically said the site was set for development.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all i know is that i like the pink cats in the windows

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it that it is the building with the window well? Might be kind of awkward to look across into someone else's unit. Maybe there will be circulation around those interior windows, or that space will get filled in for the circulation.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to be the bearer of bad rumors, but I heard the building is being torn down. It's just a rumor though, and I HOPE to hear otherwise.

In similar rumor news, I heard that the adjacent National City suburban lot will be redeveloped and the bank will go in a mixed use building.

(Message edited by Rocket City on April 16, 2007)

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if only someone could turn around that hellish block of woodward from Alexandrine to Seldon.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

70 West Alexandrine

Development Opportunities abound.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photo.

A great looking building...Soon to be a vibrant addition to the neighborhood!

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 687
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this building was recently abandoned. It recently had brown aluminum frame windows. I'm sure you know what happened to them in the middle of the night! The exterior appears to be in good shape.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McLemore Development principals buy building
A 150,000-square-foot building at 70 W. Alexandrine was recently purchased by a group led by McLemore Development principals, said the broker on the deal, Charles Mady Sr., CEO of Exclusive Realty in Detroit, on Friday.

Plans call for 100 units of refurbished apartments.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0408/SUB/704060331&SearchID=73 278252874184

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would this have originally been the "Hotel Alexandrine" ?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 874
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bibs, you are mostly correct. HUD closed the building down because it was a complete dump. All the tenants were moved to different buildings and 70 West was closed.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was section 8 housing up until it closed, the place was routinely broken into afterwards, hence the missing window frames, and presumably all the copper

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5803
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Po'folks kicked out for rich folks request. Cass Corridor belongs to them now.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you continue to amaze me danny...

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 770
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the building that the Freep reported on quite a few years ago? I remember the residents boo-hooing in the article about being kicked out and having nowhere else to go even though the place was a dump. One of the first gentrification articles I remember reading about.

Random thought....

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 912
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By chance, any more updates out there on this one?

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitrising.com/m idtowndetroit.htm

Has it listed with many, many more projects.

I noticed the WSU ones including S. University, the engineering building, etc. This site also lists the new school of business building as "Approved."

Wonder how soon they'll have ground breaking for that building?

Maybe this year????

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im excited about all those brush park developments on that site....very comprehensive, stuff I havent heard about

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I question the validity of some of those proposed developments. The Garfield Historic District Redevelopment Project has been on there for about three years.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.