Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The New Deals: Slum Clearence « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading about the 3.2 million dollars that was part of the new deal awarded to Detroit for slum clearance what projects was it used for?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was what created the Detroit Housing Commission. Led to the lower half of Black Bottom being turned into Lafayette Park and I-75, but what else?

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on April 16, 2007)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5372
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Brewster, Douglass, and Jeffries projects.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sojourner Truth probably as well I assume.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

June Manning Thomas Shows these public housing sites in Detroit as of a 1985 Map.
-Smith Homes
-Herman Gardens
-Lee Plaza
-Warren West Apartments
-Jeffries Homes
-Temple Towers
-Wolverine Apts
-Brewster Douglass
-Harriet Tubman Terrace
-Woodland Apts
-State Fair Apts
-Sojourner Truth
-Charles Terrace
-Forest Park Place
-Diggs Terrace
-Sheridan Place
-Sheridan Place II
-Connor Waveney APTs
-Parkside

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were no slums cleared when Herman Gardens was built. It was farmland. I'd assume that other developments such as Parkside were the same.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on April 18, 2007)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gotham was destroyed in 1963 because of slum clearance.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 60's, urban renewal dollars were flowing out of Washington. The "slums" of Detroit were first on the hit list. As mentioned above, large tracts were cleared, and many still remain undeveloped today.
Walter Shammy <sp> tried several time to develop an "International Village" I think Michigan Ave and Third was to be the location of this development.
Shamme ran unsuccessfully against Jerry Cavanagh's re election.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 817
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that Plum Street?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plum Street was Hippyville.
I spent a lot of time there in 67 when I was at Cass. Lots of incense all the time. :-)

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that high-rise apartment building at State Fair & Woodward public housing?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that is the State Fair apartments.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took down the surrounding neighborhoods to make way for the Brewster projects. The first house to go was at 651 Benton, and there was a huge pageant surrounding it, as Mrs. Roosevelt came to see it off. New Deal money was used to make the Parkside projects at the same time- because you couldn't use federal money to discriminate or favor one race over another, Parkside was made for whites and Brewster was for African American Families.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parents used to take this young planner to International Village and Plum Street back in the day. The IV never became anything much more than a place to hold ethnic festivals. These eventually moved to the area between Cobo and the River and finally to Hart Plaza.

I can recall candy stores, bikers, and hippies with Plum Street.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.