Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bike route recommendations sought « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,

So I am now living at Harper and Cadieux. This summer I would like to bike downtown regularly. Which surface streets would be best, in your opinion? Which streets are most bike-friendly or have the most space for a biker?

Also, can anyone relate experiences about the new east side path?

Thank you all

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux to Kercheval to Vernor or Lafayette would be my suggestion. There is Mack as well but probably not as pleasant of a ride. Charlevoix might work as well.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe try Chandler Park to Conner to Mack to Indian village to Lafayette that actually looks the most pleasing with the ride through the park, IV, West Village and Lafayette Park.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 805
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around Indian Village it's kind of dodgy, right? If you take Vernor, go left on St. Aubin and come down to Lafayette. That's the end of my preferred bike route into downtown.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You oughta check out the "Detroit Bikes" gang. They're part of Detroit Synergy.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SEMCOG has a bike map on their site that includes roads with lower traffic counts, traffic speeds, as well as existing bike paths.

http://www.semcog.org/TranPlan /NonMotorized/assets/BikeMap_D etroit.pdf

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 872
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper and Cadieux... just down the street from the Belgian bicycle club at the Cadieux Cafe...

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live at Moross and Harper and I worked at Hayes and Harper. I used to ride my bike to work and I found that the main streets had way too much broken glass and to many drivers not looking out for bikes. So I mapped out a route thru the neighborhood side streets and it was great!!!

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live at Cadieux and Mack...I've biked downtown a few times...I usually take Jefferson. Kerchaval is a good rout to take, but is a little crazy in places, a few crack-prostitutes pop out at ya.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You ran over my pop! Now you gotta buy me another!"

--Heard on NB Mt. Elliot at 4 a.m. after driving over something that went crunch.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boshna, I use to ride my bike to work at Jefferson and Belvedere when I lived on Devonshire and E Warren, not far from your present location. I would ride down to Jefferson and go straight downtown. It took 30 minutes, about as long as the bus did with 3 transfers. Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.