Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Earth Day event « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/earthday9007.aspx
Earth Day activities planned for Cass Park, WSU
Recycle Detroit and several partner organizations are teaming up to host an Earth Day Observance centered in Cass Park on April 21.

From 9 - 11 a.m., volunteers will clean and beautify Cass Park and from 11 a.m - 1 p.m., State Representative Gabe Leland and the Freedom from Oil Coalition will host a hybrid bus tour of the city.

At 3 p.m., an Earth Day parade up Second Avenue will begin, followed by volunteers collecting all trash and recyclables from along the parade route.

The day's events will conclude with speeches from Wayne State University president Irvin Reid and First Lady Carlita Kilpatrick at 4 p.m. at WSU's Keast Commons, a green space located off of Williams Mall near the Student Center.

Other activities include a 5k run that will take off at noon from WSU's Gullen Mall.

A full schedule of events can be found here.

Writer: Kelli B. Kavanaugh

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on April 16, 2007)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, I used to attend the Earth Day festivities on Belle Isle. It would be held on May first and it was well attended. I would like to go to this one, but I really am getting tired of all the politics in these events as of late. As a matter of fact, today I am working out doors on a pile of material headed for recycling. Keeping it green!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was with the Synergy folks, we tackled and abandoned lot at Charlotte and 2nd. It looked lots better when we were through. That one lot filled up half of one of those huge gondola dumpsters. Great work done by all that showed up!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to finish my senior seminar paper so I can get out and volunteer for some events in the next few weeks!

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for everyone who came to our event. There is a short video and pictures in the Detroit Free Press today.
We really think the event went well despite a few hiccups.
We did decide not too march down second to WSU. We were exhausted and many of the kids had to go home.
Cambrian, the work you guys did at Charlotte and 2nd was amazing. I am going down later today to take photos.
I hope you got some food with the vets later in the evening.
Photos
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070422/NEW S05/704220598
Video
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070422/VID EO01/70422002

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.