Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » De La Salle « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a follow-up to the City Airport thread, any truth to this Wikipedia passage about DeLaSalle: When the school first opened in 1926, a riverboat pilot (captain) was the school's mascot due to the school being built across from a river called Conner (sic) Creek, but when Detroit City Airport opened in 1937, the school changed its mascot from the riverboat pilot to the present day airplane pilot.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit City Airport opened in 1927. The school and the airport had their share of legal battles over the years because of the landing patterns. I heard some story a while back about the Pilot name being original to a riverboat captain but the source was questionable.

For several years the school wanted to expand, but could only do so vertically. However, because of the airplanes they were unable to expand further to the extent needed. Add that to declining enrollment in the late 1970's and they were ready to leave in 1982.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

De La Salle Pilots where indeed named after riverboat pilots. The area that is City Airport was planned as a park (with Conner Creek running through it) when construction began on the school. It was any easy transition to aircraft pilots.

I can remember my freshman year, kind ducking when the planes came over. After a couple a months it was "what airplanes?".

If you dig around the DLS website www.delasallehs.com, you'll come across a recent article on the "pilot" issue.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two attys at the PlunkettCooney law firm in Detroit led the legal battle to try to get the flight patterns changed as the planes came in and left over City airport so close to the school. I have met several alums of DLS who remember the deafening noise as planes took off and landed. Windows rattled. Everything halted.
They were not successful in their efforts.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Two attys at the PlunkettCooney law firm in Detroit led the legal battle to try to get the flight patterns changed as the planes came in and left over City airport so close to the school. I have met several alums of DLS who remember the deafening noise as planes took off and landed. Windows rattled. Everything halted.
They were not successful in their efforts."

Which legal battle and what year are you referring to ? Their were several over the years. In the mid 1960's DLS had a lawsuit going with the city. It wasn't the first time and it wasn't the last time. Keep in mind that situation with the planes was a way of life in that neighborhood and people adjusted. The safety issue was a primary reason for the lawsuits. However, the school wanted the possible option to expand upwards and the flight patterns prohibited it.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the legal battle to which I refer went back to the late 60's, early 70's. And yes, there were others.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.