Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Karman-OSS/Karman-ISS « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An observation--in it's advertising, the Karmanos Cancer Institute has very obviously adjusted the pronunciation of it's name, so that it now sounds like Kar-man-iss. Anyone else notice this or know what the background is?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3802
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno. It's all Greek to me.

:-)

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neal Rubin's column dealt with this on Monday:

Six months ago, Mary Short joined the Karmanos Cancer Institute as vice president for marketing and communications. "When I first started working here," she says, "I noticed that there were a lot of different pronunciations."

With a new ad campaign ready to launch -- it started March 26 -- she logically decided to ask the boss how he says his name.

"Car-MAN-iss," he said

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077041603 71

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother asked me about this since i work at KCI. I've heard said both ways. I say Karman-oss. I worked with Nick Karmanos and he pronounced it Karman-iss.

Either or to me. Tomato-Tomoto

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.