Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit's City Flag « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know where I can purchase a small (maybe 2'x 3') city flag?

Thanks in advance.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this archived thread:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/89147.html

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Flag and Banner Co. in Clawson- (248) 288-3010

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading that thread, I can see where people think the city's symbol makes the flag too busy. I really like the flags design, but I think if they just removed the words "The City of Detroit," and "Michigan," and left just the seal and the latin motto in the center it would look better. Just my opinion.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my father-in-law a flag at this place on East Jefferson(they were closing up shop and relocating on West Fort Street)

The price for the COD flag is always a little higher because of all the color on it and the process that it takes to overlay it on the flag. It is a very beautiful flag.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It certainly is more attractive than the boring State of Michigan flag (state seal on a blue field), a pattern used by a score of other states. Yawn.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the city of Detroits flag:http://www.yowzers.com/piratem p.jpg

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to his blog, Kwame Kenyatta is going to introduce an ordinance tomorrow to change the City of Detroit Flag to:

His belief is that the city government operates like a broken cog wheel and you need a sharp machete to mow through the vast wasteland. He said he was inspired by the hammer and sickle. Yellow represents mineral wealth (salt), and red and black are said to stand for 'Freedom or Death'.

(Message edited by quozl on April 17, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you get rid of the crakheads and the wild dogs?

Maybe we could just modify Chicago's flag. Instead of representing two expositions, the fire, and the fort dearborn massacre, we could have the stars represent the 67 riots, crack, devil's night, and murder....

This thread could get interesting :-)

Jerome81

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd actually like a small sticker or patch more than a flag I could hang on a pole.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit should display it's flag more. I've never seen it outside this site.

Now that I live in Chicago, the Chicago flag is everywhere, even hanging outside private office buildings.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. I have always wished it was flown like Chicago. I dont even think it is on the flagpole outside city hall. The city flag is flown at Campus Martius and the Chase Bank Building...

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81, the wild dogs in Detroit were released to eradicate the crack heads, kind of like the pigs that were put on Hog Island to take care of the snakes.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump (I want to get a flag too)

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check This Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F lag_of_Detroit%2C_Michigan

I purchased a 3x5 Detroit Flag last summer through J.C. Gloss on Jefferson Ave, and they ordered it through their parent company American Flag & Banner Co. of Clawson.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never realized that J. C. Goss was owned by American Flag & Banner. Goss's roots go back to just before the turn of the century when they sailmakers for all the commercial sailing ships on the Great Lakes. I would say they are one of Detroit's oldest business's. Also deserving mention are J. W. Westcott (1874) and Chris Engel's Greenhouse (1883)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John W. Wescott started his business as a marine reporter. In 1880, he was living at 23 Rowland Street in Detroit (That street name is long gone). Here's the image of the census report that year:

80census

Ray1936

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 1900 he had moved to 30 Chandler, and had four children. His occupation is listed as "Vessel Agent".

00 census

Interestingly, this family does not appear on any subsequent census reports, either in Michigan or elsewhere. Curious, eh?

(Message edited by Ray1936 on April 27, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City flag was being flown at Dossin when I was there a few weeks ago.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the reason we don't see the Detroit flag flying much anywhere is because of the image of the burning buildings in the background of the two women (goddesses?) Burning building might have been too sensitive of an image in post-1967 riots era.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Its because nobody can seem to find one to buy :-)

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speramus Meliora – “We hope for better things.”
Resurget Cineribus—“It shall rise again from the ashes.”

A 200-year old prophecy?
Burned in the 19th Century, burned in the 20th Century and possibly burned again in the 21st?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that link and that seal isn't right. It should look like this:

Detroit

And yeah, the seal looks goofy, like a cartoon drawing. But I guess the features might have been exaggerated to look good from afar. Maybe we should get rid of the seal, or change it. The rest of it looks beautiful, though, pretty distinctive.

Maryland has the quadrant design, though only two patterns...but no seal. Better without a seal, right?

Maryland

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with Eastsidedame.

get rid of the cartoon in the middle. maybe do something to it keep the latin sayings, but the burning buildings and the 'goddesses' are insulting...

i LOVE the Maryland state flag...

while were at it can we get rid of the stupid (in that it follows 24* other states) complex symbol on a blue field...

david

i included the light blue flags like Oklahomas in my count

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2204
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Maryland flag is F-ugly

Detroit's is fine

Username: 1805

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave, I don't see how the burning buildings and the "goddesses" are insulting. If anything, it's uplifting imagery. You just must not be privy to the history of our City.

And the seal only looks "cartoony" because what you're looking at is like a ClipArt version.

Keep the seal. Keep it real.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto 1805. I love the seal, it's a remarkable image for our struggling city.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 1805 I agree that the "city" of Detroit started out with the 1805 fire and subsequent rebuilding of the city. We were pretty much a frontier outpost before that...and the War of 1812, when we were occupied by the British.

Perhaps the goddesses should be more stylized? We have a lot of iconic sculpture in the city, so personification of ideals would not be a weird notion.

That being said, if you can find a "real" version of the seal as shown on the flag, please post it! More than one of us, I'm sure, would love to see it. It really is an image of hope and rebirth that could use right about now.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a shot of the flag proudly clipping in the breeze:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_55 36.jpg?t=1179877839

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.