Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Three Reasons people are moving out. » Why people are reluctant to move to detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through October 09, 2007Thejesus30 10-09-07  9:56 am
Archive through October 09, 2007Thejesus30 10-09-07  11:09 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wasn't stereotyping the whole city..."

"It's called GENERALIZING...the statement applied to Detroit as a WHOLE..."

-Thejesus

You're awesome.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^and apparently you're unable to understand the difference between a generalization and a stereotype

lucky for the board, this seems to be limited to yourself and Jt1

(Message edited by thejesus on October 09, 2007)

Eric_c

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"btw, I'm 27 and moved out of my mother's house back when I was 19..."

-Thejesus

That's cause your awesome!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10414
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

also, we are doing quite a fine job in Northville of prevent vandalism and blight and keeping our numerous historic houses in pristine condition...you seriously don't need to worry about Northville...just saying

Wow, completely missed his point on that one. Hi spoint was that one community in the city is not the same as another. He never implied there were problems in Northville but simply stated that it is not Birmingham. He did not say it was better or worse just that they are not the same.

That should not be difficult logic to follow for such a scholar as yourself.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, graffiti and other types of vandalism isn't a problem in any of the hoity toity suburbs. You're right. You got me on that one. You're so smart.

Suburbs fight against an increase in graffiti
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007710070597

Thejesus

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway:

What part of, "In communities that refuse to tolerate that kind of crap, this stuff doesn't happen or happens far less..." do you not understand exactly?

Also, notice what they guy in the picture is doing? That's called cleaning the graffiti off the building...you may have heard of this...not only does it make the spot where the graffiti was sprayed look nicer, but it serves as a deterrent against future acts of vandalism as well. (This what I mean by communities who refuse to tolerate this kind of crap)

Pretty neat, huh?

Jt1

Post Number: 10415
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I think buying and rehabbing a home while taking an active role in improving a neighborhood that many have given up on does far more to prevent vandalism and blight than condemning it from the comfort of the basement in their parents' house way out in the burbs. Just saying."

It may come as a surprise to you, but many, many people in their mid 20s earn a good living and do not live in their parents house, even if that's not the case for you...

btw, I'm 27 and moved out of my mother's house back when I was 19...this type of thing is the norm nowadays, just to let you know "

Not willing to discuss your dismissive attitude towards the hard work many Detroiters and many of the forumers put into their community. You tend to complain when someone makes the topic about you but you are making it about yourself in this regard.

quote:

^and apparently you're unable to understand the difference between a generalization and a stereotype

Keep reaching for semantics. Your elitism is well documented on this forum as well as your complete disregard for all of the efforts that people put into improving their community.

Whether you want to call your non-sense stereotyping or generalizing it is still completely dismissive of the reality of the attitudes of most Detroiters.

Defintion of stereotype:
conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

That applies pretty well to your attitude towards most Detroiters. Feel free to argue semantics all you want.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:11 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

------------------------------ --------------------

stereotype -

A GENERALIZATION, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group.

[Chapter:] Anthropology, Psychology, and Sociology

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

------------------------------ --------------------

You are truly awesome! Look how awesome Thejesus is, everybody!

Jt1

Post Number: 10416
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"btw, I'm 27 and moved out of my mother's house back when I was 19

I moved out of my parents house when I was 17. Can someone pat me on the back as well?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you've really opened my eyes. I'm packing up the car and moving out to Northville right now. Why would I want to live around my current crop of loser neighbors when I can live next to awesome people like you that make Detroit such a better place? Everything is so much simpler on the west side of Wayne County.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

You're awesome too! :-)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go E_Hemingway...a little visual reference to help you and your neighbors understand my point about not tolerating this kind of crap...

See how instead of allowing the graffiti to remain on the building, the guy is painting over it? Do you see how this serves as a deterrent against future acts of vandalism and makes the wall look nicer?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarcasm is at an all time high on this board... kinda makes you not wanna read it anymore at times.

You have to filter through so much BS

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't post too much right now. Moving.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't post too much right now. Moving.

ROTFL!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It’s comical to see how the suburb haters on this forum will always cite examples to support their "it happens everywhere" argument. Talk about a fucked up shooting in the D, and someone jumps on your back and throws Stephen Grant in your face. Talk about vandalizing in Highland Park, and you are presented with this graffiti in Rochester Hills article. Great, you can support your case all you want with these lame ass examples, but if you think that a lot of the fucked up problems in the D that we hear about in the news everyday are occurring any more than a TINY fraction of a percent in frequency in most of the suburbs you are out of your mind.

BTW, I live downtown, and I see the thug mentality TJ talked about every time I walk outside. Of course it's not everybody. But, don't be foolish and call that a racist statement.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KD:

Thanks for your input. In all fairness though, this thread doesn't really have anything to do with race...even Ihearthed was able to hold back his natural instinct to play the race card when all else fails

Edit: I stand corrected. I just saw IHD's comment above...some people are just way too predictable I guess

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course it's not everybody. But, don't be foolish and call that a racist statement.

I called it exactly what it was. If he says it again, I'll say exactly what I said again.

There is graffiti in Highland Park. There is graffiti in Detroit. There is graffiti in New York. There is graffiti in London. So what? Show me a city that doesn't have a problem with graffiti and I'll show you a city that doesn't sell spray paint! I have never once said that Detroit doesn't have a crime problem, a graffiti problem, a homeless problem, etc. I just ask that you don't sit there and act as if it's a Detroit phenomenon, or that every square inch of Detroit has the same problem, which some suburbanites on this forum a notorious for doing.

I have asked him to point out to me the similarities between Highland Park and Rosedale Park. He made the statement that Detroit is afflicted with the same thug mentality, etc, et. al., that Highland Park is dealing with. He said that both cities elect the same type of people. So I'm waiting on him to put his money where his mouth is. Point out to me all of the similarities between Rosedale Park - a neighborhood within the city of Detroit, and Highland Park - an independent municipality that is not governed by Detroit.

Margdar
Username: Margdar

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you see how this serves as a deterrent against future acts of vandalism and makes the wall look nicer?"
----------------------
I think it could be argued that unless he paints the entire wall white (which usually does not happen), it definitely does not look any nicer with big paint blotches than with (bad) graf.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edit: I stand corrected. I just saw IHD's comment above...some people are just way too predictable I guess

I might have been offended if I had expected you to get the point of me saying what I said...

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Great, you can support your case all you want with these lame ass examples, but if you think that a lot of the fucked up problems in the D that we hear about in the news everyday are occurring any more than a TINY fraction of a percent in frequency in most of the suburbs you are out of your mind.

Then it is hopeless. I knew it. Boy, am I glad I'm moving.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Then it is hopeless. I knew it. Boy, am I glad I'm moving."

You probably shouldn't. You don't seem to have very much to offer or contribute to a typical suburban community...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I might have been offended if I had expected you to get the point of me saying what I said..."

I'm not too familiar with Rosedale Park...sorry...but, unsurprisingly, you made race an issue in a discussion where it has no relevance...

Eric_c

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to make one thing very clear: There are many fucked up neighborhoods in Detroit. The level of crime in some areas is outrageous. There are many, many low-class, uneducated and impoverished people here. I have never seen anyone shit on the sidewalk in any suburb. There is no question that Detroit has many gravely important issues that need to be addressed through thorough discussion and a lot of hard work.

HAVING SAID THAT - the generalizations, uninformed comments and blanket statements directed toward the community within the political lines drawn along telegraph, Eight Mile and Alter Road are disgusting.

The City of Detroit is a vast collection of districts and neighborhoods and is representative of all socio-economic classes, races and religions.

There is no way a thoughtful, educated person could EVER blanket the entire city with such crude assumptions. Talk the way you want about your own neighborhood.

Visit Russel Woods, Lasalle Gardens, Indian Village, West Village, Islandview Village, Hubbard Farms, Woodbridge, Aviation Sub, Rosedale/Grandmont, Greenacres, Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, East English Village, Gold Coast, New Center Commons, Greyhaven, Bagley Community, Corktown, University District, Pilgrim Village and all the rest. Then tell me that the city has no middle class. Tell me that we are all thugs that don't care.

This thread was started by an uninformed individual who drove to Highland Park from who- knows-where to take some pictures (from the car) of blighted houses in a particularly rough neighborhood. He then posted the photos in an attempt to find like-minded individuals who would support his theory that the people of this neighborhood are responsible for the vandalism of an abandoned housing project.

I work in this neighborhood. I know these fucking neighbors. Mrs. Jackson on Stevens did not break into the unoccupied house next door to her. Mr. Garvin is not restoring a four-family flat on Church and then going next door to raid the unoccupied new house.

I was born at Sinai Hospital. I live in Islandview Village and work in Highland Park. I see the good the bad and the ugly EVERY FUCKING DAY. I live a happy, comfortable life in a middle-class neighborhood...I don't fear or mistrust my neighbors and have never been given any reason to believe I should.

Don't piss on my neighborhood. There is absolutely no reason.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My buddy once told me he likes Italian food. Now, does this statement necessarily mean that he likes every kind of Italian food there is, WITHOUT EXCEPTION! After all, his statement was a generalization about Italian food, right? Of course it doesn't mean that. The statement applies to the group AS A WHOLE, and not to every INDIVIDUAL within the group.

I really don't know how else to get through to you people. I leave you with my example above. If you still don't get it, I'm afraid there's not much else I or anyone else can do for you. Good luck.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is E Hemingway really moving?

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hip cool skinny jeaned white kids are moving back to Detroit are several reasons:

3. Most of them are tired living in their boring cookie cutter inner ring suburban homes. Despite what their mommies and daddies said about terrible things that are going on in Detroit long ago and today. Most of them said that it full of black-folks that don't clean up after themselves and their ghettohoods. The hip cool skinny jeaned white kids don't give a hoot about their parents' warnings about the Detroit's bad rep. They just want to live, work and play there. If their parents don't like it, well too bad."

---> {Whites} are moving back to the city because a lot of work and repair has been done to the inner city and downtown. Thanks to Kwame i suppose (he does deserve that credit i guess) Don't misconstrue that these {white} folks are moving to the general residential areas of Detroit outside of the areas aforementioned. Those white kids (read: money) are staying where the streets are clean and they are less vulnerable

Talk about generalizations..... Danny, I really loved #3. You must know a lot. Tons.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, now I get it! Let's see if I can put it into my own words:

My buddy once told me that he liked to suck dick. Now, does this statement necessarily mean that he likes every kind of dick? WITHOUT EXCEPTION?!

After all, his statement was a generalization about dick-sucking, right? Of course it doesn't mean that. The statement applies to the group AS A WHOLE, and not to every INDIVIDUAL within the group.

Point is, although my buddy doesn't suck off everyone, he's still a dick-sucker; always has been, always will be.

Conversely, Detroit sucks, but Thejesus sucks dick.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5134
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well actually there is one more thing you can do TJ....

you can always STFU when you dont know what the hell you are talking about...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5135
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Conversely, Detroit sucks, but Thejesus sucks dick.

hayle...

naw...

lol Eric

ROTFLMBAOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes entire threads disappear on this board.

This one should.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.