Discuss Detroit ğ Archives - January 2008 ğ Stolen bike! Help if you can Ğ Previous Next ğ
Archive through May 19, 2008Wolverine30 05-19-08  1:59 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup these might be nice bikes but they are the primary and sometimes only mode of transportation for these young people. Often they arent the most expensive things on earth but theyve had a lot of love go into them. So as a primary mode of transportation many have no choice other than locking them up outside. More often than not in Detroit there aren't any nearby bike racks so fences, trees, street signs and light poles are the best one can do.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Lilpup has a point. I wouldn't dare wear my best suit while working on my motorcycle. Similarly, if you have a high-value bicycle that you've invested heavily in (both emotionally and financially), it would probably be wise to buy a $50 relic that you can cover with tape and lock to streetlights without fear.

Just IMO.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 577
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley- have you checked the pawnshops on Gratiot? Als Loans, and Ziedmanns?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the theft sting idea. Who would you go to to try and get something like that done. Anyone have a e mail address to write in to??

sounds about right that thoes two thefts were related. Andreas probably lockd his bike there regularly. Theives prob. had been casing it for some time.

Im also curious how the lock was broken. Was there any sign of burn marks on the ground around it, did they onbolt something. could they have used a hydrolic jack to break the lock, or just good ol fashioned snips??

Might want to look on craigslist for bikes.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i quickly checked craigslist and ebay for "raleigh" and nothing matched this bike,...obviously there are a variety of other search terms that could be searched for though

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 579
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pawn shops or bike shops should be checked out.bike shops sometimes buy used bikes

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta have a clunker bike in the city, you can get one for next to nothing and save your awesome bike from being stolen.
That's what I always did, and it worked. (the clunkers got stolen, not the nice one.)

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mdoyle, I saw your pictures of your bike on your flikr account. Such a nice ride.

I ran into some girl from 'exposure detroit'( i think? ) at eastern market this weekend. We were both taking pictures, and she asked me If I was from that group, which I had no idea about. Long story short I saw your pictures, good stuff. Too Bad about the bike. Who made it? I want one.

Detsfb
Username: Detsfb

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bike was also stolen a few weeks ago while locked with a Kryptonite. I learned the hard way that an easy way to defeat the mighty Kryptonite is to leave the duplicate key in your handlebar bag. On the upside, the offending Capitol Park denizen was kind enough to leave the lock and key.

So keep your eye out for a silver '76 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiterbychoice.
not my ride, but my good friend Vanessa's, also her flickr account is what you likely saw and it was her you likely ran into at the Eastern Market. Yes she had a sweet ride and yes she's an amazing photographer who is active in the community she has spoken at The International Youth Peace Summit organized MayDay's @ the detroit urban bean co. written for Real D and MetroMix and many more things I haven't mentioned. An all around great person who would love to have her bike back. It was custom painted by Ron Shelton of the HUB.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mdoyle.

Shes cute too.

Thanks for the bike tip.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to the original post by Alley ... could WSU facilities/security have confiscated the bike for being locked "to a hand rail" inside the a building? A quick conversation with the CHEM Building staff could answer that question.

But whatever ... $2000+ bike .... $50 lock ... a couple of 25c bolts holding a handrail ...

ps -- I'm the one that stole Paulmacalls Typhoon back in the day ... cut outta Hickey's mass right after communion and there it was ... nice ride ... Free Press paperboys had the best bikes

Django

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im down with solarflare. clunkers are the only way to go. Save your nice rides for special outtings. Ive got a $55 used bike from 3rd street but still worry about it. I hope Ill have it for a year. I always bring my shit into wherever I go. Barnes and Noble, old Miami, all the party stores. If they say no bikes inside, I take my business somewhere else. Youd be surprised how many places will let you bring your bike inside their establishment. Give it a try, push the envelope. Try bringing your bike to the lab next time. Whose gonna care about a bike in the corner of the room. With the Bush oil war more ppl should be riding bikes, thats obvious.

Man that was a sweet ride, sorry that happened. Your in the D bro. gotta do what you can.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 658
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

WAAAAAHHHHHH MY BIKE GOT STOLEN NOW IM TRYING ONLINE RESOURCES TO GET IT BACK WAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! ••••••••(Those who need to will get it!) ) )

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you channeling Danny or something?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, why are you online when you should be out on the streets of Detroit feeding the hungry kids? And while you're at it, sell your computer to buy more food!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channeling Danny . . that is good! And I did try to do something I went to the police and they pretty much said good luck. Look I took the message down sorry I offended anybody just trying to make light of the situation.

(Message edited by fareastsider on May 19, 2008)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like nice machinery, and both the folks who lost their rides have my deepest sympathy.
I've got a few bikes in the garage, and the crook who dares try to steal 'em had best take my twelve gauge first..

But the techie in my head just HAS to know..why the heck ya wanna ride a fixed gear bike with no brakes for daily transportation? Especially in urban Detroit?

Django

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im wonderin that same thing Zrx. I want a mountain bike thats going to deal with curbs, minor glass, and such.Hell, Gannon has kevlar tires on his bike, or whatever that bulletproof stuff is (I had no idea they made them, but I want them) Hasnt had a flat since.

Fixed gear, does that mean one gear and no freewheel? or just no freewheel?

This is Detroit, home of the pothole.

I still want dude to get his bike back, and it sounds like hes from out of town so you gotta cut him some slack. Commin from autobahn country, hes probably like "where are the paved roads?"

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you know? Fixed gear is "hip" right now.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django, one gear and no freewheel, and yes, the tires are probably carbon fiber (kevlar is a type of the material developed by dupont), pretty common to find street tires lined with it.

i don't personally get the whole fixey thing myself, i like the whole one gear idea, but i enjoy having brakes. apparently there is some higher zen plateau in cycling only attainable by riding on the edge of control in urban centers, and as most things these days, there's also a certain fashion element to it that some are drawn to. to each their own

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 20, 2008)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 20, 2008)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4320
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kevlar, not carbon fiber - Kevlar (a DuPont product) belted tires have been available for decades

Fixed gears are nice to ride because not only can you get a great workout, but you actually have better control of the bike once you get used to riding it. They're also a lot easier to maintain.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No self-respecting bike messenger dude in Chicago goes to work without a fixie. Fun to watch them whipping through the Loop with no brakes. Most of the bikes look like they were put together out of a kit. If I don't see at least one bike-pedestrian collision this summer, I'm clearly not paying attention.

Django

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont understand the advantage of not having a freewheel and gears while biking in a city. Someone clue me in plz.

Doesnt not having a freewheel mean that as long as the rear wheel is turning, the crank and pedals have to also be turning? That seems nuts. I must be wrong on this.

(Message edited by django on May 20, 2008)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he's from Europe and it's a racing bike, I guess it's all he has. That's all I know

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't want Kevlar tires, you can install reinforcement strips that reside between the tube and tire. I just put a set in my '74 Raleigh Sports 3 speed.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Doesnt not having a freewheel mean that as long as the rear wheel is turning, the crank and pedals have to also be turning? That seems nuts. I must be wrong on this.

You're not wrong. :-)

The advantage to a fixie is low maintenance, low cost, and its back-to-the-roots feel. Oh, and it makes track standing a bit easier. Some fixies have one or two brakes. Normally you brake by resisting the crank's forward motion.

Personally, I don't like Kevlar reinforced tires (not to be confused with Kevlar bead tires). They're typically very difficult to remove from the rim and repair. I'm not sure those tires are any help with pinch flats caused by hitting pot holes. The best way to avoid flats on a road bike is to avoid road hazards, keep your tires fully inflated, and replace them once they start to get cuts, cracks or dry rot.

IMHO, fully-inflated, relatively fresh mountain bike tires are a better choice for avoiding flats in the city. However, the price is they have higher rolling resistance.

Dkhbike
Username: Dkhbike

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fixies are fine for the downtown bike messengers because they usually don't have brakes to maintain. I go through a fair number of brake pads commuting to work on my bike; it would be a lot worse if I were doing stop and go riding all day. Also they don't have to worry about wet rims and not being able to stop in the wet. But those thin tires are debris-and-broken-glass magnets. I have Kevlar reinforced mountain bike tires with a center ridge to minimize rolling resistance and I very rarely have a flat in town.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently had a bike stolen and the person that stole it had the nerve to ride it to the convenience store ACROSS THE STREET FROM WHERE I LIVE and just leave it in the entranceway. Needless to say, I got my bike back but it wasn't easy. Maybe the person that stole this bike will be equally stupid. Good luck!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chub

Don't you know? Fixed gear is "hip" right now.

It's the latest fashion accessory. It's got to be real flashy too and "deep v" rims are mandatory.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow guys some people here had their only modes of transportation stolen and all you care to debate is the "hipness" or the "cool Factor" of fixed gear bike. Really you should congratulate yourselves for having no tact what so ever. Bravo.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a reward being offered? I've noticed in the bike section of craigslist from time to time people will post that their bike was stolen and offer a reward.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mdoyle

Wow guys some people here had their only modes of transportation stolen and all you care to debate is the "hipness" or the "cool Factor" of fixed gear bike. Really you should congratulate yourselves for having no tact what so ever. Bravo.

Any old school bike messenger will tell you that a daily ride should look like the shittiest bike you have(might be the nicest in reality) and secured with a hank williams lock and chain. That's the reality in the urban bike world as sad as it might be.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Toronto bike cops use their hand cuffs to lock their bikes, but you'd have to be in a pretty confrontational mood to steal a police bike. I agree with the el-cheapo bike recommendations. My current bike cost me 45$ plus a new front wheel which I had lying around my place. My last bike was stolen last summer, and I ran into the dudes who stole it a few days later, sitting on a bench less than 10 feet from where they grabbed it. I walked up to them, took their picture (posted as 'Toronto Bike Thieves' on Flickr) and explained the situation and got my bike back. All my other stolen bikes disappeared forever, save for one which was evidently 'borrowed' from my parents' building (I repo'd that one a year or so later as well).
My first thought was whether the scum bag who stole the fixed gear track bike was in a hospital somewhere, the bike a tangled mess on some city street! Not really concerned, but I've ridden a fixed gear track bike a few times in Toronto when I was in a rush and living mostly with a girl who owned one. Those are devastating machines, I didn't know how they worked until I was flying down the street at warp speed. A real thrill, but with only a front brake on a speed machine that one cannot stop peddling, except gradually and with significant physical force, that's one wild ride!

Django

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt last 10 minutes with the momentum of my 245lb frame. I laughin just thinkin about myself on one goin down a hill toward an intersection, My face of terror, my legs pumping wildly.

More power to you nuts. LOL

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's not turn this into a "wtf is up with fixies" post.

Just keep yer eyes peeled for the bikes.

I am of the same opinion regarding a cheaper bike, but the problem is cheaper bikes are less reliable.

To have a good commuter bike you need reliable components. The cheaper a bike is the less reliable it is and the more maintenance it requires.

Do you get a crappy car if you move to Detroit? No, you get a kill switch installed and car alarm!

Also, biking around Detroit, you begin to realize the component failure in certain areas of your ride would be pretty sketchy.

You have to get good locks for your bike and you can't bitch about how heavy they are. You get a NYC Kryptonite series lock if your bike is worth a lot to you. They even insure your bike if you send them some sort of sales receipt. You get skewer locks for your wheels and seat.

Honestly, the higher end fixies being stolen smells fishy for sure (which is funny because fixie kids always love saying how simplistic their bikes are but won't mention that they can easily pass $600 in parts). For instance, Vanessa had her bike for not even a week but someone knew enough that it would be parked at the CAID and unattended for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone in the 'scene'.

Just my two...

Vanessam
Username: Vanessam

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both these bike thefts are unfortunate.. one was mine one was andres, he is here from spain doing research.. he had a krypotnite lock i had two locks next to a security guard.. riding fixies.. is fun, i really like bright colors so mine was bright and andres really loves quality, good control so he had a vivalo frame and phil wood hubs, we just hope they are found.
On my bike ron shelton did lots of custom work on the frame, brazed metal, custom paint and brazed metal...

i love riding bikes in the city, i ride to work, and i have been riding a $15 old school raleigh road frame with out of true steal wheels like 15 miles a day for the past year and i decided to upgrade. and built up this babe, three months of work, from ron(mostly) and i sanding and finding the right parts.. i hadn't gotten my u lock yet and i thought a security guard and two locks between other bikes would have been enough, but apparently there is never enough.

this will probably end the conversation. please keep an eye out.

Vanessam
Username: Vanessam

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ps. thanks for everyone who has shown so much support.

mdoyle, as always is an amazing friend.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.