Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Haunted Places in tri county area? « Previous Next »
Archive through October 27, 2008Chitaku30 10-27-08  1:24 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.strangeusa.com/view city.aspx?city=Detroit&state=M i&fullname=Mi

THE ddot admin bldg.??

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Ty Cobb's house in Woodbridge?

Stromberg2

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4357
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Karl_jr's link:
"Mercy Marion Hall The ghosts of nuns long dead still let there presence be known by locking doors, cold chills and uneasy feelings of being watched."

I got that feeling at Regina when the nuns were alive.
What else is new? :-)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm convinced of total creepiness in the Belle Isle woods, after the road forks and to the left. On a few different occasions, all in the area I mentioned, we have heard screams, car horns beeping (that sounded like they were bumper to bumper with our car when no one was there), strange things show up on pictures, etc..
Particularly around one tree, we call the Jesus tree

This is a good site for locations and descriptions of haunted places in Michigan
http://theshadowlands.net/plac es/michigan.htm

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The Shadowlands is great! The Knock Knock girl creeps me out.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5734
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Battle of Bloody Run was fought near Jefferson and not far from the Detroit River. Elmwood is too far inland to be the actual site of the main battle. But really, the "battle" was drawn out between what is now near Elmwood Cemetary and became a series of skirmishes. The British Army and Rangers were fighting from farmhouse to farmhouse. You have to remember that this was late at night early in the morning so it wasn't a battle in the traditional sense.

During Pontiac's rebellion, a settler named James Fisher was murdered along with his wife and two soldiers on Belle Isle. The British kept their cattle on Belle Isle and had soldiers tending to it. i think the settlement was on the west side of the island but not too sure.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That "knock-knock" street sounds familiar. What about "knock-knock" bridge on belle isle...going there with friends during the late 70's was very scary. I forget the story about the bridge but i'm quite sure our guy friends would knock on the side of the car just to scare us girls!

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 979
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, who and what is dunn's tomb?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, thanks for the clarification of the site of the battle. Now that I think of it, I seem to remember a marker somewhere that described it. So the battle would have happened somewhere near what is now Harbortown, or closer to the Cemetery?

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of cities claim to have a "Knock Knock" street. In Wyandotte it was/is the section of 15th St. north of Northline.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the big house on East State Fair west of Hayes I believe that was supposed to be haunted? This was back in the 70's.

Jcole

Post Number: 4375
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laing, yes. I brought this up on a thread a while back and no one knew what I was talking about. It was a big old brick and there was always a rug hanging on the front porch. It was on the north side of State Fair. I thought it was between Gratiot and Schoenner, but it could have been Hayes and Gratiot.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep jcole, that is the place. it may have been between Gratiot and Schoenner - just remember it being out that way. seems the grass was always long and the whole place was unkept. there were always stories going around sjs about the place.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've always heard, the # 1 haunted city in this area is the old village of Romeo in Northern Macomb County. I don't think there's a person in town there that doesn't believe in spooks from personal experience.

http://www.ghostsofamerica.com /4/Michigan_Romeo_ghost_sighti ngs.html

Jcole

Post Number: 4376
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the stories, and I remember driving by there on our way to my sister's house. It was always dark, and looked empty, except for the rug. I swear that same rug was there for 17 yrs.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building on Washington and Fourth St. (where the Royal Oak Music Theatre is) used to be Royal Oak General Hospital. I'm not going to tell the story, but I'm certain the basement (which used to be the morgue) is haunted.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yes I've heard first-hand about Cadieux Cafe hauntings and I've heard the Whitney is haunted, too.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Bongman -

Check out the link you posted, at the bottom.
There's another link called lies about Romeo. There seems to have been a lot of creative writing on both sites!
Entertaining though. If I see the 10' Giant dragging a body through Addison Oaks by my house, I'll give him a shout.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knock knock street is (according to weird michigan)strasburg between 7 mile and lindhurst.I lived on hamburg for years and never heard of it till I read the book

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wildlife Sanctuary on Grosse Ile is supposedly haunted, and a man hung himself there some time ago. In high school a coach told me that he & friends found some crazy makeshift altar-like structures in either the Sanctuary or on Hennepin Point, which is the northernmost (and uninhabited) island.

Also I was on the rowing crew in high school in the early 2000s, & one weekend we got back very late from a regatta in Canada, around 4/4:30a.m. We rowed out of the Wyandotte Boat Club, and as we were unloading the busses we heard the loudest most ungodly screech/cry I've ever heard, coming from Hennepin Point, which is directly across the river. In reality it was probably an animal (a loud one) being attacked by another. But damn that animal must have been literally ripped apart, because after that one cry everything was silent, so it had to be dead. Being around the river in that area after night fall still terrifies me. And being anywhere on Grosse Ile after nightfall gives me the creeps if I'm alone. Something mean lives on those islands, and I don't mean the WASPs.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The local radio station in Atlanta did a Halloween special on my daughters house. She had been complaining about chairs being moved and things levitating. Here is the link where you can read about it and listen to the voices the EVP equipment heard. Some are hard to hear, others are very clear

http://www.freewebs.com/henryg hosthunters/douglasvillehome.h tm

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is the link discussing my ex wife (Jens mother). Even the ghost knew what I knew in 1989.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Ile is pretty creepy after dark "been there once" in the dark. My girlfriend now belives that "our house" is haunted. By what who knows, Toys start up with no one around, lights go on & off, and this was before the kids got a quija board. Maybe i,m just too close to Eloise.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one has even mentioned the Ramada, downtown. It is supposed to be famous haunted. Some gangster murders went on in that place. I went to the City Club once and had that totally creepy feeling and not from the patrons either.

I remember reading a Metro Times story a few years back, where they interviewed the Bar manager and talked to the Hotel manager about the spooky goings on... sent shivers down my spine. I have wanted to spend a night there, since...

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knock Knock road, on Belle Isle and Luke The Spook, in northern Macomb County were supposedly haunted areas in the 1950/60s, but I don't recall the stories that accompanied them. Anyone with the inside scoop?
ps:
Belatedly saw the reference to Knock Knock road in an earlier post, that places the road in the 7 Mile Rd area, on the east side.
Someone please clarify, or I'm grabbing some Aricept....

(Message edited by Bobl on November 23, 2008)

(Message edited by Bobl on November 23, 2008)

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48 Hours quote, Jane Mixer case:

"But he could not so readily dismiss the crime lab’s finding that a spot of blood on Jane Mixer’s hand matched the DNA of a convicted felon who was only four years old when Jane was murdered.

In 1969, young John Ruelas lived in downtown Detroit, around 40 miles away from where Jane’s body was found. Police could not connect Ruelas to But he could not so readily dismiss the crime lab’s finding that a spot of blood on Jane Mixer’s hand matched the DNA of a convicted felon who was only four years old when Jane was murdered.

After the information came out about the lab in Detroit, doesn't that case a bit of doubt about their whole DNA case against Leiterman? The 48 Hours news article mentions cross contaimination.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall going to the "tombs" one evening. As we approached there was a bright yellow glow. Further investigation revealed somebody has taken a group of flares and taped them together. There must have been eight or nine of them. It lit up the evening sky and there was a little bit of activity afterwards.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9278
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm I was looking at a house across from one of those places on theshadowlands site. It was completely renovated inside and out, yet the price was much lower than anything around.

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at the Whitney under Chef Paul. Opened the bakeshop on the third floor up real early, like 5 amish for a while. The only scary thing was the elevator used to open and close randomly, by itself in the wee hours(actually all day long, getting into it was rumoured to be suicide by the staff). But if you'd ever seen the inbred cretin who was the 'engineer' in those days, you'd understand. Once Lucy Nolan decided to ask about 'haunted' restaurants for a segment, Ron Fox and John McCarthy came up with the ghost rumour to get free publicity, Dick Kuhn could have cared less and we were all ordered to go along with the story. Lah-dee-dah.

Fact is, no one ever died in the building, no members of the Whitney family and no one in the Visiting Nurses Assoc. afterwards. No ghosties, just a miswired elevator that was about 40 years old at the time and a guy 'fixing it' who liked to drink his lunches down in the basement by the boiler we called 'Auschwitz.'

Actually, now that I remember, seeing Lucy Nolan in a teeeny tiny miniskirt coming down the back staircase just about killed a waiter named Carlos and came close to finishing me off too. ;)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 727
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucy Nolan wasen,t scary.and Who IS LUKE THE SPOOK?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4070
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember knock knock street as being in the Harper, Chalmers area. The name of the street escapes me right now, but it will come to me later today. I would take my younger brother and sister for a ride down that street and get them scared. They would be in the back seat all wide eyed and scared. And then they would want me to drive over there again and again so they could hear the "knocks" on the side of the car.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.